sileo 500 vs sonata III 500

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

nyhcbri

sileo 500 vs sonata III 500

Post by nyhcbri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 pm

im trying to make a decision between these 2 cases. any ideas?

ces

Post by ces » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I would go with the Solo.

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm

no no its cooler master sileo or antec sonatta III

ces

Post by ces » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm

nyhcbri wrote:no no its cooler master sileo or antec sonatta III
I know, I was just expressing a contrary opinion. :)

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 am

I would go with Sileo if that was the case, no antec fans are quiet.

Zirbmonkey

Re: sileo 500 vs sonata III 500

Post by Zirbmonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 am

I have a Sileo 500 for my HTPC. Here's the stats:

Sileo 500 + 2x Scythe 500RPM Slipstream
Zalman 500W PSU
AMD Phenom X4 810
Gigabyte 790X
Coolermaster Hyper Z600 CPU Cooler + Scythe PWM Fan
HIS 4670 Fanless
Blu-Ray Reader
DVD Burner
2x WD Green 1.5TB HDDs
2x Hitachi 300GB (soon to be retired)
1x Seagate 150GB (retired)
Windows 7 64

First off, this computer is a constant work in progress. I've been upgrading the thing piecemeal from parts I've had for 5 years. first I made it into an HTPC, not caring about noise. Then I got the sileo case and CPU heat sink to quiet things down. Then I grabbed a fanless GFX card, and 500RPM fans to kill the last bit of noise. Every upgrade I've done pushed it to be more and more silent.

So about the case: I'm really happy with the case as a whole. Quality construction, and I've managed to make my system essentially dead silent. I like the look of the case, and it holds everything I need for HTPC purposes.

The case fans it came with were really quiet. But since I was intent on making it "dead silent" I removed the front and rear fan to replace them with Scythe 500 RPM fans. These fan's merely trickle in air flow, but I've never had an issue with heat. The air flow through the case is great, even with the muted upgrade.

There's only 3 mounts for 3.5" drives. I used all of them up with my old 150+2x300 GB storage drives. I decided I needed a ton more space for movie storage, and bought a Cooler Master 4-in-3 day adapter to place 4 drive RAID5 storage. Right now I only have 2x 1.5TB drives in it, but will soon grab another 2 to fill up the bay and make the RAID. I'm guessing most people do NOT build HTPCs with RAID arrays in them, so perhaps this isn't an issue for you.

The PSU mount has a really nice rubber seal. There's no vibrations transfered from the PSU to the rest of the case. Off all the parts in my case, the PSU fan makes the most noise. If I stick a pencil in the PSU, all remaining noise goes away. My PSU is still very quiet, and the build as a whole makes no noise sitting in the corner of the room. The buzz from the TV on mute makes more noise than my HTPC.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm

It might be worth waiting for the Sonata Proto that has just been announced by Antec. Unlike the III 500 it does not have a PSU but presumably will be priced accordingly.

The Sonata Proto "....(is) based on the worldwide best-selling Sonata III 500... (and) combines improved noise reduction and powerful cooling with a modernized aesthetic and affordable price...".

See http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjM3Ng==.

bozar

Post by bozar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 pm

lodestar wrote:It might be worth waiting for the Sonata Proto that has just been announced by Antec. Unlike the III 500 it does not have a PSU but presumably will be priced accordingly.

The Sonata Proto "....(is) based on the worldwide best-selling Sonata III 500... (and) combines improved noise reduction and powerful cooling with a modernized aesthetic and affordable price...".

See http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjM3Ng==.
Powerful cooling, yeah right. But Sonata is a quality case which Sileo isn't and with a good amount of modding it should be better than Sileo in all aspects.

ame

Post by ame » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 am

Why limit yourself to A or B when there are clearly better options C and D.

Sonata Plus 550 (NEO HE) if you must have a bundled PSU, Solo if not.

IMO

bozar

Post by bozar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

ame wrote:Why limit yourself to A or B when there are clearly better options C and D.

Sonata Plus 550 (NEO HE) if you must have a bundled PSU, Solo if not.

IMO
That's already been suggested but Sonata Plus 550 is much more expensive than either of these cases, if money is an issue then you can't solve it by spending more.

ame

Post by ame » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 am

Yeah, I know.

Sonata plus is actually good value if you need a good PSU.
SOLO is only 25$ more than Sileo where I am.

I didn't see any reference to $$ being the issue. I think if your gonna spend several hundred or $1000 on a system it might as well be the system you want. $25 out of that isn't supposed to be the main factor in choosing a case.

If you twist my arm I'll have to say Sileo. I used it only once, but I don't like the looks, and in terms of cooling its inferior to many.

Building a system using price points is THE wrong way to choose parts IMO (unless you are trying to build the cheapest thing out there, in which case I wouldn't go for either)

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:44 am

If it is a choice between those cases you can bet there is no 1000$ budget which by the way is a ridiculous amount to spend on a computer.

Everyone doesn't make several thousand of dollars per month so you can't expect everyone to have a great budget when it comes to buying computer parts. 25$ saving for each part makes a great difference.
If everyone had money there wouldn't be a market for HDDs or cheap dampening functions in computer-cases, everyone would already have high end water cooling and 5000$ SSD's for storage.

Solo is a great case but if money is a real issue then Solo is not the way to go.