Recommendations for a sexy HTPC case!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

NT

Recommendations for a sexy HTPC case!

Post by NT » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am

Must be no more than....
482.60mm (19") wide
800.00mm (31.4") deep
265.913mm (10.469") high [6RU; inc. feet if unmoveable]

Actual enclosure height in mm = (44.45 * n) − 7.874
Where 'n' is RU required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack
It'll eventually go into an AV rack that sits underneath my flatscreen TV, which I intend mount on the wall.
Having rack ears isn't imperative, so long as it conforms to my dimension requirements.
1x PCI Xonar Essence ST + H6 daughter-board.
1x PCIe Dual Hybrid tuner card (can be used at full or low-profile).
up to 2x 3.5" HDD
up to 4x 2.5" SSD (with the right adapters all four can be fit into 2x 3.5" bays)
Which means I'd need 4x 3.5" bays (int or ext), ideally no more so as to keep dimensions down.
I may be prepared to consider as few as 3x 3.5" bays in total, but there'd need to be a strong rationale.
*May eventually add*...
-1x discrete graphics card
-1x extra PCI/e sound-card
-up to 2x extra PCI/e tuner cards
So eventually 6 slots + 1 for the daughter-board may be needed, so the case needs to accommodate 7 slots, not 4 etc.

I don't want more than 1x 5.25 bay, pointless wast of space IMO....
That 1x bay I'm happy to forgo or convert, but only if that means I've got 4x 3.5" bays & 10.47" height or less.
If I can have 4x 3.5" & 10.47" height or less & still have 1x 5.25", then all the better!

Ideally the IR receiver (if built-in) must work well with LIRC.
But if not it doesn't matter, as I already have a USB one that does!
Preferably a decent *removable* card reader is built-in, along with: FW400/800 or eSATA, USB2, and HD audio ports.

I'm not a big fan of cases with massive LCD's on them...
Exorbitant prices for what in my opinion is somewhat of a redundant interface.
One could easily add a small LCD to the mix if they want an auxiliary screen for some reason.
A smaller LCD/VFD is ok but perhaps more redundant, as it's still hard to read & less info can be displayed!
But if nicely positioned it does consolidate a case's "Hi-Fi" appearance/aesthetics.

LT I intend to mod the case so I can mount a 240mm rad from a AIO LC system like the Eco 240mm.
It won't be flush with the rear fan/s (don't want warm air passing through), but probably perpendicular to the case's rear face.

My budget limit is about $550 Australian dollars....
I'm prepared to lower height some more if ya'll think I can by exploiting depth?
Anyone have a favourite case for the job? Thanks all!
Last edited by NT on Sun May 16, 2010 7:50 am, edited 18 times in total.

NT

Post by NT » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 am

Still working on my finalists, OEM's I've looked at so far:
Lian Li
Moneual
nMedia
OrigenAE
Silverstone
Thermaltake (inc. their Luxa 2 range)
Zalman

yet to look at....
Antec
Fortunetec (I believe they're exactly the same as OrigenAE)
Alutek

Any I've missed?
Please suggest other OEM sites to look at!

NT

Post by NT » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Last edited by NT on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Re: Recommendations for sexy HTPC case! [limit approx. $400u

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:14 am

NT wrote:Must be no more than....
482.60mm (19") wide
800.00mm (31.4") deep
265.913mm (10.469") high [6RU; inc. feet if unmoveable]
Are you sure about that?

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 am

Well it could be a little deeper, can't hurt, so long as its no more than 1000mm.
Why, some recommendations?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 am

100mm !!!!!!
1 meter... This is HUGE !!!

Fractal design maybe ?

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:25 am

I'm unsure why do you people stick to the numbers while don't read the text before it - he said "Must be no more than....". That means those numbers = size of the space where he will put this HTPC. It doesn't mean he wants a 80 or 100cm deep HTPC. Those are the limits, not requirements.

From those listed Antec is pretty much out of question, Fusion MAX is good but uggly. Lian Li have some interesting cases in PC-C series, Silverstone too, if it fits your requirements. OrigenAE equals extremly expensive, and so are the manufacturers not on the list.

You forgot Coolermaster, but they are pretty much nobody in HTPC sector.

sheltem

Post by sheltem » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:33 am

I have an HTPC which I NEVER use. Would you be interested in buying a used Origen AE H6? I have the original box and everything. The dimensions fit your specifications.

http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_h6.htm

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:40 am

faugusztin wrote:I'm unsure why do you people stick to the numbers while don't read the text before it - he said "Must be no more than....". That means those numbers = size of the space where he will put this HTPC. It doesn't mean he wants a 80 or 100cm deep HTPC. Those are the limits, not requirements.
OH I GET IT!!! Anything so long as it is not more than 3 feet deep. Nor taller than 5 feet tall. Or wider than say 10 feet. What is the very deepest case you know of? Do you know of any one that is 3 feet deep - other than those used for IBM mainframes in data centers?

I saw the numbers, I read the text, then I took it to the next step - I thought.

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:08 am

What are you talking about, I said I want no more than 19" W, 31.4" D, and 10.469" H.
Or in other words....

482.60mm = 48.26cm W
800.00mm = 80.00cm D
265.913mm = 26.59cm H

Now of course, other then RU cases there prolly isn't going to be a desktop case that deep.
That's why I said "no more than", it doesn't have to be anywhere near that deep.

Do you have something helpful to add, otherwise please refrain from dragging this into bullshit argument territory.
ces wrote:
faugusztin wrote:I'm unsure why do you people stick to the numbers while don't read the text before it - he said "Must be no more than....". That means those numbers = size of the space where he will put this HTPC. It doesn't mean he wants a 80 or 100cm deep HTPC. Those are the limits, not requirements.
OH I GET IT!!! Anything so long as it is not more than 3 feet deep. Nor taller than 5 feet tall. Or wider than say 10 feet. What is the very deepest case you know of? Do you know of any one that is 3 feet deep - other than those used for IBM mainframes in data centers?

I saw the numbers, I read the text, then I took it to the next step - I thought.
Last edited by NT on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:09 am

@ces: why do you think that my reaction was to you in person ? Btw, it was a reaction to frenchie.

@frenchie
Fractal Design has no HTPC case, nor any case which is 26,5cm high. If you mean putting Define R2 on side, that is still not a HTPC case.

@NT: i'm unsure if you want to put the case in the rack. If yes, then Lian Li PC-C32 is your best bet (if you can get it): http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... s_index=64
ATX board no problem, 2x3,5" HDD no problem, SSD will probably fit too (if you are able to put 2 in 3,5" bay and 2 in 5,25" bay, 1 external 5,25" bay is here too.

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:11 am

frenchie wrote:100mm !!!!!!

Fractal design maybe ?
100mm = .1m (10cm)

:. 800mm = 80cm

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:16 am

faugusztin wrote:@ces: why do you think that my reaction was to you in person ? Btw, it was a reaction to frenchie.
Hey, I was just making a comment before adding my suggestion, not complaining or criticizing anyone. It's true that 80cm is quite deep for a case that's all I was saying :roll:

Never mind, back on topic :
faugusztin wrote:@frenchie
Fractal Design has no HTPC case, nor any case which is 26,5cm high. If you mean putting Define R2 on side, that is still not a HTPC case.
How about the Array Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU : (WxHxD) 330x265x430mm
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... =2&prod=39

[EDIT : @NT : yeah, I kind of forgot a 0 :). My bad.]
Last edited by frenchie on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am

frenchie wrote:How about the Array Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU : (WxHxD) 330x265x430mm
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... =2&prod=39
NT's requirements :

Core i3-530 + H57 motherboard (ATX)

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 am

Thank-you for the constructive feedback
Actually I believe I already have this one on a my short-list.
I will post them all soon...
faugusztin wrote:@NT: i'm unsure if you want to put the case in the rack. If yes, then Lian Li PC-C32 is your best bet (if you can get it): http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... s_index=64
ATX board no problem, 2x3,5" HDD no problem, SSD will probably fit too (if you are able to put 2 in 3,5" bay and 2 in 5,25" bay, 1 external 5,25" bay is here too.

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:22 am

actually if you look at requirements this is no good, but thanks for trying.
frenchie wrote: How about the Array Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU : (WxHxD) 330x265x430mm
[url]http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=pro ... =2&prod=39[/url
Last edited by NT on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 am

oups :oops:

Note to self : No more replying to threads right after a nap...

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 am

No worries, i appreciate that you're at least trying to be helpful.
The last thing I feel like, is getting into argument over silly things.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:43 am

I asked one of my friends which one he has and he recommended Chieftec : http://www.chieftec.com/hi-fi-series.html

From quickly browsing their website, their HE01, HE02 and HM01 models are ATX compatible and fit the right number of drives. I don't have time to check the other specs in details.

Hope that helps.

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 am

yep already found them from suggestions in another thread.
I'll prolly be adding a few from that site to my finalist list :)
But thanks again!
frenchie wrote:I asked one of my friends which one he has and he recommended Chieftec : http://www.chieftec.com/hi-fi-series.html

From quickly browsing their website, their HE01, HE02 and HM01 models are ATX compatible and fit the right number of drives. I don't have time to check the other specs in details.

Hope that helps.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am

@ NT -

Does "Cumberland" = Cumberland UK? If so, this may be of little use to you as I believe Norco chassis are pretty hard to get in Europe. But the Norco RPC-450 is around $70 USD. I can't quiet tell from your posts in this thread if this is going in a rack or not. If not, you can always remove the rack ears.

Some specs from:
http://www.norcotek.com/RPC-450.php
  • 4U rackmount design
  • Dimensions ( W x D x H ) 19" x 21.6" x 7" (483mm x 550mm x 176mm)
  • 3 x 5.25" drive bays, 10 x 3.5 " drive bays
  • screwless drive rails
  • Support EEB (12"x13"), CEB(12"x10.5"), ATX (12"x9.6"), Micro ATX (9.6" x 9.6") motherboard
  • Screwless top cover
  • 2x120mm front fans, 2x80mm optional rear fans
  • Lockable front panel door
  • Front accessible USB port
  • Easy-accessed front changeable air filter
It's not nearly as nice looking as the other cases on your list, but doesn't look tragic with the front door closed.

[EDIT] Better pics here:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ ... dex2.shtml

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks Jay, that's almost perfect for a server build I have in mind.
But not quite the style factor of I was wanting for something that will eventually go into an AV rack in my lounge room.
I'm def. keeping Norco in mind for a future native VMM/NAS build.
Thanks again, but I'm looking for something a little more "Hi-Fi'ish"!

p.s.
I'm in Australia, I'll fix that location!
Jay_S wrote:@ NT -

Does "Cumberland" = Cumberland UK? If so, this may be of little use to you as I believe Norco chassis are pretty hard to get in Europe. But the Norco RPC-450 is around $70 USD. I can't quiet tell from your posts in this thread if this is going in a rack or not. If not, you can always remove the rack ears.

Some specs from:
http://www.norcotek.com/RPC-450.php
  • 4U rackmount design
  • Dimensions ( W x D x H ) 19" x 21.6" x 7" (483mm x 550mm x 176mm)
  • 3 x 5.25" drive bays, 10 x 3.5 " drive bays
  • screwless drive rails
  • Support EEB (12"x13"), CEB(12"x10.5"), ATX (12"x9.6"), Micro ATX (9.6" x 9.6") motherboard
  • Screwless top cover
  • 2x120mm front fans, 2x80mm optional rear fans
  • Lockable front panel door
  • Front accessible USB port
  • Easy-accessed front changeable air filter
It's not nearly as nice looking as the other cases on your list, but doesn't look tragic with the front door closed.

[EDIT] Better pics here:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ ... dex2.shtml

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 am

NT wrote:But not quite the style factor of I was wanting for something that will eventually go into an AV rack in my lounge room ... [snip] ... I'm looking for something a little more "Hi-Fi'ish"!
I totally understand.

What about the Silverstone LC13-E?
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... e&area=usa
I have one in black and really like it. I like it for the solid aluminum front door, the side PSU direct-vent, and because it accepts ATX motherboards w/full-height cards. I "suspended" my HDD by wedging it vertically between soft foam blocks inside one of the HDD subassy's.

And I actually kept the stock 80mm case fans, but wired them in series for 6V each. With a simple DIY fan shroud / duct over my Ninja mini, they are inaudible and provide adequate cooling. My biggest complaint are the super-bright LED's. I disconnected the HDD activity LED because the constant blinking was extremely distracting.

SPCR reviewed the LC17, which appears internally identical to my LC13:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article772-page1.html

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 am

I ruled-out both out as I wasn't a fan of their overall aesthetics.
Plus I hate 2x 5.1/4" bays, tis entirely wasted space for me.*
Even 2x external 3.5" is an irritation, but I can put up with it.

Going to post what I've short-listed so far very soon...
It's not exactly a short list, and there may be ones for which I haven't adhered to my own criteria, so please let me know if you notice!
Plus I won't be surprised if I've missed a few "gems" from the OEM sites I've visited, so I'll be revisiting each sites range of cases soon.

*I guess LT I could use the extra bay for a VFD/LCD display...
But I think the dimensions of such displays normally aren't anything like a 5 1/4" bay.
Plus it'd be obvious that a display's been slotted where an optical drive should be.
So it'd most prolly look tacky imo....

Jay_S wrote:
NT wrote:But not quite the style factor of I was wanting for something that will eventually go into an AV rack in my lounge room ... [snip] ... I'm looking for something a little more "Hi-Fi'ish"!
I totally understand.

What about the Silverstone LC13-E?
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... e&area=usa
I have one in black and really like it. I like it for the solid aluminum front door, the side PSU direct-vent, and because it accepts ATX motherboards w/full-height cards. I "suspended" my HDD by wedging it vertically between soft foam blocks inside one of the HDD subassy's.

And I actually kept the stock 80mm case fans, but wired them in series for 6V each. With a simple DIY fan shroud / duct over my Ninja mini, they are inaudible and provide adequate cooling. My biggest complaint are the super-bright LED's. I disconnected the HDD activity LED because the constant blinking was extremely distracting.

SPCR reviewed the LC17, which appears internally identical to my LC13:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article772-page1.html
Last edited by NT on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

Another option is to buy the cheapest chassis that meets your requirements, and then DIY your own front panel. Here's an old thread at DIYAudio.com about a guy who made his own Mark Levinson 38 preamp copy. He used smoked acrylic for his front panel. He lightly scuffed the back of the panel, and when done it mimics the look of brushed aluminum. I think the results look amazing. And the fact that he built his own ML38 is amazing :shock:.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-st ... ratch.html

(You'll need an account to view the images, though this direct link might work)

NT

Post by NT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:37 pm

I had actually considered looking around at various 2nd-hand shops like Cash Converters etc.
To see if I can find a solid, high quality, amp or receiver that's no longer working properly, but has the right dimensions.

But modifying something like that to suit my needs would surely be a bucket load of work!
More than just a matter modding external appearances...

Have you seen any threads outlining someone successfully doing something like this?
Jay_S wrote:Another option is to buy the cheapest chassis that meets your requirements, and then DIY your own front panel. Here's an old thread at DIYAudio.com about a guy who made his own Mark Levinson 38 preamp copy. He used smoked acrylic for his front panel. He lightly scuffed the back of the panel, and when done it mimics the look of brushed aluminum. I think the results look amazing. And the fact that he built his own ML38 is amazing :shock:.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-st ... ratch.html

(You'll need an account to view the images, though this direct link might work)

NT

Post by NT » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am

yeah so that's where I'm at, night.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am

NT wrote:Have you seen any threads outlining someone successfully doing something like this?
I exhausted my search-Fu and came up empty, but I remember seeing an Antec NSK2400 or 2480 with the regular silver front. The owner had an AV receiver that was silver with a black acrylic panel across the top half of the receiver's face. Like this HK AVR (Audioholics.com). The owner cut a piece of black acrylic to cover the upper half of his/her NSK2480 to match the receiver. That was not a full-face replacement, but I remember it looking really nice. It was purely cosmetic, and was really well done. I can't find the thread though.

This gallery thread is one of my favorite HTPC's at SPCR, and is a full transplant using a CD player: An HTPC with a twist.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 am

frenchie wrote:100mm !!!!!!

Fractal design maybe ?
umm... check your understanding of the metric system.