LIAN-LI PC-Q07 with NO FAN !

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

LIAN-LI PC-Q07 with NO FAN !

Post by victorhortalives » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:35 am

I finally get the chance to try out one of these cute cubes (as the price now is real cheap).

Last time I tried a small cube case - the Antec 1380, I got rid of it as the fan resonated on my wooden bookcase.

As I have a real low power system I thought I would see if the open vents of the Lian Li case would allow me to run with no fan !

Anyone else tried this with good results ?

Here's what I'm going to put in it :

Zotac ION B o/c to 2Ghz
2x 2GB 800Mhz memory
Samsung 32GB SSD
Samsung SATA DVD drive (might get a USB version instead)

Pico 90W PSU

( 1x Scythe 120mm fan running today at 600rpm )

If this works then I'll stand it on top of the P182 case used for heavy lifting (like a mouse sitting on a lion)

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 am

Well it all went together very well, provided you remember to install the mobo upside down so that the panel can be put on without the I/O shield falling out.

Not a lot of finger room to insert the power switch/reset etc leads.

Excellent place to mount the 2.5in SSD, but not that great for any 3.5in drive (no possibility to use any quiet box technology)

SpeedFan shows 67 degrees for the GPU and 60 degrees for each of the two cores. Not bad, but we'll see after a few hours.

The silence is unnerving and makes my ears ring. I'll try with the fan back inside and see what the change is.

Great small size and sits well on top of the P182 - headphones well within reach now.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:31 pm

I love my Q07 - I've done a little bit of modding to fit an undersize G31 mATX motherboard in there with an undervolted and underclocked E5200 and a HR-01+, with a PW200V + 60W brick providing the power. I've got a single Slipstream 800rpm fan at 5V (approx 400rpm I guess) on the HR-01+ which is inaudible from >30cm away.

From memory, no fan on the heatsink makes about 10C difference in CPU load temps, but since I can hear the fan from a seated position at my desk less than 1m away, I've left the fan on.

Follow the link in my sig to some low quality pics if you are interested. I'd like to see some pics of your system too, just for comparison's sake!

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, I put a fan in after all.

I strung a Noctua 92mm NF-B9 using knicker elastic between two mounts on the DVD frame, one of the front mounts for the USB connectors and one of the back mounts for the PSU panel.
Minimum rpm (350 or so) from a Zalman Fanmate. Inaudible from 60cm seated position.
Also the fan noise exhausts on the other side of the case through the LHS grill and into an enclosed book shelf (as it happens)

The CPU temps were getting into the high 60s but with the fan they are in the low 50s.

The biggest problem is fitting all the wiring elegantly inside the case. There are 3x SATA leads, 3x power leads and the USB lead.
The SATA leads are just too long and so are folded all over the place. I'm going to have to buy some 15 - 20mm leads with angled connectors and rewire it next time I open up the case.

Still, it proves the point that a low speed fan is usually going to be needed.

Like the case - very elegant. Don't have any pics I'm afraid. Next time when I open it up.