Antec NSK-4000 II vs NSK-3480

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ficod

Antec NSK-4000 II vs NSK-3480

Post by ficod » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:55 am

Apart from the presence of a PSU is there any reason to prefer a 3480 to a 4000 II?

NSK-4000 II seems a valuable choice in terms of cost-features, but I'm trying to understand if it's good for a silent pc.

Thanks.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 am

The 4000 is a decent case but nothing special. It's just your basic ATX standard case. Nothing specific about it make's it a quiet case. It has rubber grommets for the hard drives. But they're thin and stiff and really don't do anything to dampen the hard drive noise. I would probably do this case before a lot of other plain ATX cases. Although I prefer the 3480 or mini-P180.

The 3480 on the other had has a separate PSU chamber to separate the heat from the system from the PSU. Silicon grommets for the hard drives. And it actually has room in the front to mount fans if needed. The hard drive cage in the 4000 blocks any front fan except for an 80mm one below the hard drives which then doesn't provide any actual cooling to the drives.

The front and back panels are the same for either case. So you can swap the front side with the stupid side vents to the back side where the motherboard tray blocks the vents and any noise that might escape.

That's my 2cents.

ficod

Post by ficod » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:59 am

thanks for your reply...

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:52 am

ficod wrote:thanks for your reply...
I've been using a 3480 for a few years. Here's my experience :

1. PSU. Most PSUs will give out more noise than you think with this case as the top chamber allows either (a) fan noise to exit from the top back side if you use the Antec PSU - too noisy IMO or (b) using a normal PSU requires the PSU to be mounted fan up - so fan noise exits from the top - even more noisier. Best PSUs to use are Passive ones - e.g. Silverstone or Pico. The top grill is ideal for venting a Passive PSU.

2. Mobo space. Yes, there's space for a Micro ATX but the amount of bottom space is very small for a 3.5in drive. PorkChop has a good way of mounting a 3.5in drive against the front face but it involves some work - I've done this and it's OK.

3. Best use for the case is as a flexible Mini ITX case with a SSD.

So be prepared to spend more and do some extra work if you use this case - but it is a good case and it allows the use of 120mm fans.

No experience of the other one.

I also have a P182 and a LianLi Q07 and have no plans to replace the 3480.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Kind of comparing apples to oranges. If you want something compact, NSK-3480 is about as good as you can do without making big compromises (half-height expansion cards, proprietary power supplies, etc.). I've been very happy with the form factor of my NSK-3300 (earlier revision of the 3480, almost the same case). A bit difficult to work in because of its size, but that's just the price you pay for small towers.

NSK-4000 II is a bit bigger, would allow you to mount an ATX board with more expansion slots. Also has more 3.5" and 5.25" bays.

From a noise standpoint I'd say either are pretty comparable. Looks like the 4000 II only has room up front to mount a single 80mm or 92mm fan (3480 has two 92mm fan mounts), maybe there's a side intake as well, having trouble finding specs for the case, just going off pictures. Both have a single 120mm rear exhaust. The side panel on the 4000 II is a lot more open, which might allow more noise to leak out. Also the hard drive grommets on the 3480 look better (thicker, softer silicone, compared to the harder rubber ones on the 4000 II). I think the components you put inside will be far more important, though. Also, you'll probably have to replace the stock Tri-cool fan in either case, even at low speed they're not really up to SPCR standards for quiet.