Fractal Design Define R2 fan questions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Fractal Design Define R2 fan questions

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Hello,

I'm thinking about replacing my Solo with a Fractal Design Define R2. With an overclocked quad-core and an HD 5850, the old gal isn't quite up to the challenge any more (computer specs in sig).

So, moving forward, I could use with some input on the following issues:

Both the 120 and 140 mm fans are very quiet on their own, close to our anechoic chamber's noise floor. However, they both exhibit a noticeable ticking quality. It is particularly bad on the 120 mm model, being audible within one meter's distance at 12V, and within half a meter at 9V.
I guess that's not a problem. I'll just replace them with some undervolted Noiseblocker XL1/XL2.

The 140 mm fan hanging on the side panel was much louder unfortunately, measuring about 10 dBA higher due to the vibrations passed onto the side panel, and interaction with the vent in front of it.
Would a 120mm fan vibrate less? If not, would placing an intake fan at the bottom of the case cool the video card almost as good as a side fan?

3. What would be the best fan layout for optimum airflow with low noise?

1x Rear
2x Top
2x Front (or would one be enough?)
1x Bottom (or Side)

All undervolted of course, spinning at around 600 RPM.

Thanks in advance.

axee

Post by axee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Are your temperatures in Solo really too high?

About fan placements, I would avoid putting fans on top because it's closer to human ear and I think it would vibrate too much because fan won't be attached to strong body of the case, but this is just a guess, it depends of structure and materials of chosen case (Fractal should be very strong and sturdy). I think your experimenting about exhaust fans is best feedback you can get.

About intake fans, I think front fans are really heavily covered with HDD cages and are there just (more or less) for cooling HDD's. Two slow fans would take less effect than just one bottom fan at same speed.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:40 pm

The video card is idling at 60º C sometimes reaching 62º C in hotter days. So yes, the temperatures are a bit high. Regardless, it was only a matter of time before I had to ditch the Solo because it doesn't fit larger video cards.

axee

Post by axee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:58 pm

When silencing PC, all it matters is that you stay on safe full-load temperatures :) But sure I understand your decision.

BTW what type of cooler do you use on your GPU?

If it's blower stock fan exhausting hot air directly out of PCI slots you only need more positive fresh airflow, so I think two exhaust fans would be a bit of overkill for just CPU (which, what cooler??) and other not so hot components.

BUT if you have some "better" cooler (vapor-x like) that is exhausting hot air inside of your case you will definitely need to add more exhaust airflow.

Ether way, R2 should be great pick for you, a lot of possible fan placements, few ours of experimenting and you should find optimized fan placements.

My bet is on: one front fan (for HDD, but it's not necessary if you have just one), bottom fan and rear fan. Good luck!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm using the stock cooler but I might install a Scythe Musashi.

If MikeC could reply that would be great :D
If all fans were running at 600/650 RPM would 4 or 5 fans still be quiet?

bskd

Post by bskd » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 am

That should help with the alot-of-low-rpm-fans question.
// The forum doesn't let me post links, check out the "Are 2 fans noisier than 1 blowing the same CFM?" thread in the fans section.

From my own experience - yes, they will be quiet; my rig has 6 undervolted fans and it is.

axee

Post by axee » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:57 am

If your goal is to make your PC as quiet as possible, putting multiple fans without experimenting is... well not very smart decision.

4 or 5 quality fans will be quiet but avoid any unnecessary airflow if it's not needed. 10°C lower GPU temperatures mean nothing unless it's necessary to stay on a safe temperature zone and your system isn't that hot at all.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:39 am

rpsgc wrote:I'm using the stock cooler but I might install a Scythe Musashi.

If MikeC could reply that would be great :D
If all fans were running at 600/650 RPM would 4 or 5 fans still be quiet?
To repeat a previous post, that sounds like too many fans.

I'm working on a new personal system in the fractal case right now, an update from the E8500/ati3850 system in a Solo, and I have to say that the Solo is basically a sturdier case -- all the sheet metal is slightly thicker, and that plus the smaller size of the side panels means it less prone to vibration-induced noise. I'm also not a big fan of the hdd bays because of the higher airflow impedance for the front fans. The basic system I'm considering is an intel 9650 4-core + some video card more advanced than mine -- but probably no hotter -- an ssd for the os and a big 2.5" 7200rpm drive for data, and a 80+ gold psu, which should end up taking a little less ac power than my current system. (There's no easy way to suspend a 3.5" drive in this case.) I doubt I'd use more than one case fan -- a 12cm on the back panel.

If I didn't want to keep my current system intact as a backup, I'd just reuse the Solo case. Maybe all you really need to do is cut a hole at just the right spot on the side panel for a very quiet 120mm fan to keep the video card cooler.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:06 am

Four 120mm fans at ~600 RPM can't really be that loud?
MikeC wrote:Maybe all you really need to do is cut a hole at just the right spot on the side panel for a very quiet 120mm fan to keep the video card cooler.
Or something like this or this?

Expensive but still cheaper than a new case. I'm not really into modding, nor do I have the tools for it, so a new case would be the only option.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:44 pm

rpsgc wrote:Four 120mm fans at ~600 RPM can't really be that loud?
It all adds up, right?
The Solo, sturdier or not, isn't really a "gaming" case. It's too hot, and cramped. I'm not really into modding, nor do I have the tools for it, so a new case is the only option.
Sure, I forgot about your 5850. What I'm saying is that I'm not a huge fan of the Fractal case... even tho I am planning on using it, even tho we recommended it. It's good for the $$, has enough of the right qualities... but I prefer a sturdier case, and one with a HDD cage that's friendlier for suspension. It's like they went through a checklist for acceptance/approval by SPCR and silencers as well as gamers -- and they got enough of the list.

I suspect that something like the Antec 300 or 200v2 might be better starting points to build a quiet gaming PC -- for me. Both are really cheap, very sturdy, have good venting, hdd-suspension friendly. No they don't look as nice as the fractal, but this is something I care little about.

Re - the fan configurations in the Fractal -- There's no substitute for hands-on experimentation with your particular system in place.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:48 pm

rpsgc wrote:Or something like this or this?
mebbe -- if they don't make any fan sound loud -- which they might due to the enclosure -- turbulence & resonance.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Hmm... maybe I'd be better off simply replacing the video card's stock cooler with something like a Scythe Musashi (though that might not fit on the Solo, oh crap...)

Leopardi

Post by Leopardi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 am

Would this fan setup be efficient enough for a gaming pc little overclocked?

2x Slip Stream one in front / one in back
1x Gentle typhoon at top

All running at 800rpm

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:10 am

Since this thead has been resurrected is this an early 5850 with the stock cooler? Or, a Sapphire revamp (Toxic, etc)? In any case, 60C idle in a Solo seems well beyond the norm even with the OC'd quad core. Or, is your ambient 40C? :D Most of the reviews I've seen show the 5850 running about 20C over ambient.

The more likely problem: gfx cooler is poorly attached.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Those values are not valid any more. Now it idles at 56/57º C with around >30º C ambient temperature (bloody heat wave).

And no, there is nothing wrong with the cooler. It's just another one of the many qualities (read: bugs) of ATI's Powerplay. As you can see from my signature I have two monitors, therefore, my 5850 idles at 400/1000MHz instead of 157/300MHz. Thus the higher idle temperature (and a noisy 25% fan).

I stopped replying here because I have forgone this idea. I'll stay with the Solo, I even installed one of these brackets with a 120mm fan cooling the video card.

I'll wait until I build a new computer to replace it, not worth the hassle (yes I'm lazy).