Lian PC-B25SB or P183 or Antec Solo or Something else?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

UBIK2010

Lian PC-B25SB or P183 or Antec Solo or Something else?

Post by UBIK2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 am

Had a Lian LI PC60 case for 10 years now and feel the need to sort out noise and airflow that I've neglected and just lived with (Thats code for I want something new to play with!)
Cant decide on Lian PC-B25SB or P183 or Antec Solo, or something else
Has to be a mid tower case, and I live in Ireland, so the Euro is King!
I can get the Lian Li for 150 euro but prefer the Antec choices as they are a more wallet friendly 100 euros ish

My system is
Quad 6600 with stock cooler (Yes I know!)
Geforce 8800GTS
Asus P5KE
Tagan TG480-U01 480W Power Supply
2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Drives

I guess noise is the most important factor, but I dont the time to fiddle around changing coolers and fans, so I'd like something pretty much out of the box that works.
I know whatever I get will improve on my current (lack of) cooling, but thats second on the list

Has to be able to take a new longer Graphics card eventually.
Dont care about removeable m/board trays as I wont be changing it much, just access to drives

thanks Guys
Ubik

KayDat

Re: Lian PC-B25SB or P183 or Antec Solo or Something else?

Post by KayDat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm not familar with the Lian Li, but the Solo can't fit very long cards, as the drive bay gets in the way. IIRC, it can just barely fit a 5870 if you remove the stock cooling and don't have any drives directly behind it. Either way though, the Solo isn't designed for a high heat output system. If you were aiming for and designing a quiet system though, Solo's the way to go. P183 can fit long cards, since you can remove the upper drive bay, but honestly, your current case is perfectly fine if you spend a little time working with it. Unfortunately, a case can only go so far in reducing noise; changing coolers and fans would be the quickest way to go. Switch out the stock cooler, get a quiet PSU, maybe suspend your HDDs, and you've got yourself a much quieter system already.
But it looks like you're itching to buy a new case anyway, and no one's going to stop you from putting money into the market. =]

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:11 am

UBIK2010 wrote:so I'd like something pretty much out of the box that works.

Unfortunately, there's nothing as a free lunch: I mean your PSU and CPU cooler (not to mention the old and hot videocard) cannot be hushed by any new case.

UBIK2010

Post by UBIK2010 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I've been offered an Antec P182 for 40 euro, is that a good deal?

I think the cpu stock cooler and fan is the noisest part of my system, is it feasible to change it, scrape off the old artic paste without damaging the cpu?

I think the case has to go as my temps are pretty hot, not good airflow and I just dont have time to make any major mods

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:21 pm

If it's in good condition, it's a good deal !!

Changing your CPU cooler is easy, just follow the instructions precisely, and it should work out just fine. Pick a cooler from SPCR's recommended list and you can see how they installed it, and how easy/hard it was.

As for the thermal paste, don't scrape it off !! Carefully rub it off with either a thermal paste remover, or any kind of medical alcool (I use 91% on a QTip, works great).

Hope that helps !

UBIK2010

Post by UBIK2010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

frenchie wrote:If it's in good condition, it's a good deal !!

Changing your CPU cooler is easy, just follow the instructions precisely, and it should work out just fine. Pick a cooler from SPCR's recommended list and you can see how they installed it, and how easy/hard it was.

As for the thermal paste, don't scrape it off !! Carefully rub it off with either a thermal paste remover, or any kind of medical alcool (I use 91% on a QTip, works great).

Hope that helps !
Picking it up on Saturday, cant believe how excited I am!
Thanks for the cooler advice, I'll see how quiet it is without any modding first. Its a shame the SPCR recommended list isnt more straightforward, eg. 1, 2, 3 4 etc. Its hard to see which one is best. Cost will be a factor. Probably need another 120 case fan for the P182 as well.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

For your CPU cooler, pick one that's withtin your budget. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a good cheap performer.
For case fans, the 120mm Nexus are very good (and decently priced).

Soon, you'll start noticing your PSU and your video card ;)

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:35 pm

frenchie wrote:Soon, you'll start noticing your PSU and your video card ;)
Take that warning to heart, UBIK2010. It is very very true. :lol: