Help me plan a silent case -- well not exactly :)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

QuietMan

Help me plan a silent case -- well not exactly :)

Post by QuietMan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Howdy again!

I'm working on a monster build :wink:

Help me make it as quiet as it can be, given the constraints below :)

- It is a watercooled TJ07.
- It has a large window
- From a "monster build" perspective, it puts cooling first and quietness a very close second
- It has to look cool, so it is can not have things like egg crate or bulky foam around

Some of the details:

- It has no HDD, just one or perhaps two SSD's.
- No case fan.
- No PSU fan (I'm hoping to water cool it).
- There will probably be 2 water pumps, but I'm hoping to suspend them and then encase them in a 1/4" thick lead box. At least 1 pump will be PWM controlled by the mobo.
- There is no weight limit for mass loading the case. I can add 50 lbs of lead to it if it helps. I'm not worried about toxicity at all, but I'm very worried about looks.
- The case is aluminum put together with screws. I can isolate the panels/connections with silicone sheet, but I'm worried it would not provide proper grounding. Then some really heavy mass loading may minimize the need to isolate panels.
- There will be a large window, but it will be of 1/2" Plexiglass.
- The case otherwise has large thin panels, but I'm considering mass loading them with 1/16" or 1/8" lead sheet and perhaps 7mm Acoustipack on top of that, although I much rather have only the lead because I can create a really cool pattern with it (I'm not worried about toxicity at all) and it would save me some space.
- The lower section of the TJ07 is dedicated to a 480 rad, 8 Gentle Typhoons in push-pull (running virtually silent at 600-700 RPM), and shrouds. A big weakness here is that I would like to use very open perforated metal sheet to maximize cooling at low RPMs. This is a very large opening, around 120x480 mm on each side of the case -- allowing cold air to be pulled in from the left and exit through the right without interacting with the rest of the case at all.
- There is a second 360 rad with another 3 Gentle Typhoons, also at low RPMs. Again a big weakness here is that at the top of the case I would like to use that same very open perforated metal sheet. Again a large opening, around 125x360 mm at the top of the case.

Unreality check.
- Yes, we have way more cooling than it is needed, but that is kind of the whole point of the build :)
- Hopefully, we would need little or no sound control since we do not have any noisy components, but then again... see above :wink:

So as you can see a lot on this project is about overdoing the overdone :D

Any ideas on the sound control? I can not really see much that can be done given that we have no space for egg crate or bulky foam and that we have huge openings. So the only thing I can think of is to mass load the heck of it and put the pumps in a lead coffin.

Ideas?

:)

tim851

Re: Help me plan a silent case -- well not exactly :)

Post by tim851 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 am

I don't get your post. What do you expect?

You want to use 11 fans. That obviously won't be inaudible. You plan on running them on low rpms. Very well.

You want to use 2 pumps, decoupled and encased. Very well.
This post seems more designed to "show off". Very well, nothing wrong with that. But don't pretend it's about quietening.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 am

QuietMan wrote:- It has a large window
Contact Silverstone to get a replacement panel that hasn't got a massive whole in it. :wink: This will allow you to properly dampen the panels of the case with foam. Using lead to weigh down the panels isn't really fixing the problem anyway, why not just use a steel case in the first place?

Why watercool a PSU? What is wrong with the Seasonic X-400 fanless?

You've also not given any idea on what components you're using.

QuietMan

Post by QuietMan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:14 am

Never mind, it seems I took the wrong exit. Thanks anyway.

hud

Post by hud » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

You could build a cover/air duct for the top fans. Check Lian Li PC-B25S for reference.

Also, maybe something similar to what Hangfire did here for the fans at the bottom.