Recommend an all metal case for an i7 hex-core system.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jubrany

Recommend an all metal case for an i7 hex-core system.

Post by jubrany » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:19 am

I want a nice, all metal case and am willing to pay for it. Was thinking of Lian-Li but there are so many choices and I don't want to make the wrong one. It will be housing an i7-970, hd6970, 12gb ram, 3 wdgp drives, an ssd, one soundcard, one optical drive.

My priorities:
1- all metal. preferably aluminum. I hate cheap plastic.
2- Quiet yet cool potential. support for 120mm fans all around. I want to use scythe Sflex E's with fan control at around 800-900 rpm for everything... aftermarket coolers for vga and cpu will be installed. Would like the case to allow for strategic fan positioning.
3- I also want a roomy case that's easy to work on and manage cables.

I can spend up to 500 bucks if I have to. Was thinking of the V2120x. But it seems almost too big, with bad cable management. I am conflicted, and need help :).

P.S. I am spoiled already with a p182, sflex fans at 800rpm all around, and an hx620 power supply. So I am afraid I set a noise level so low with my current system that anything else I try to build won't be able to match it.

Thanks for any input everyone!

m1st

Re: Recommend an all metal case for an i7 hex-core system.

Post by m1st » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:22 am

Are there size/price restrictions? The first case that came to mind was the Corsair Obsidian, but it is quite expensive and HUGE. You would easily be able to fit anything you want in there, though.

Seeing as you don't want any plastic, that limits options somewhat. Cooler Master has some nice all-aluminum cases, but they are definitely not as nice as Lian-Li. They are an option, though. I love Antec cases, but they are plasticky...

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:36 am

m1st wrote:Are there size/price restrictions? The first case that came to mind was the Corsair Obsidian, but it is quite expensive and HUGE. You would easily be able to fit anything you want in there, though.

Seeing as you don't want any plastic, that limits options somewhat. Cooler Master has some nice all-aluminum cases, but they are definitely not as nice as Lian-Li. They are an option, though. I love Antec cases, but they are plasticky...
Well, I love the features of the 800D, but there are those open vents on the top that I think are stupid, as well as a bit too much plastic in the front panel door. Also, the powder coated steel clashes with the brushed aluminum front. I would prefer an all-aluminum case, as even powder coated steel doesn't look that nice in my opinion. The 800D does not look like a candidate for a quiet pc.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:51 pm

If you don't mind the sideways optical drive mount, how about the Lian Li X-500FX?

Alternatively, if you are a fan of the P182, have a look at the Lian Li A71F. 5 x optical bays gives you enough room to suspend all your HDDs and install your SSD in these bays without using the HDD cage at all, which looks like it could be removed to improve airflow to the graphics card area.

Both of these cases have indirect noise paths from the front intake fans and don't have any top exhaust fans, which is ideal for cases that will be sitting on the ground (which I assume will be where your case will be placed ), as this would be the other source of direct noise to your ears.

Otherwise, the modularity of the top exhausts on the V2120 could be useful depending on how hard you will be pushing your hardware, but might come with a sound penalty.

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks for your advice, JamieG. I settled on the X900B by Lian Li, which is quite similar to the X500FX you recommended. So far I am very impressed, although I have yet to finish assembling the build. Will try to post pics once it's done, but it won't really be done until i get a proper VGA card and Thermalright mod it.