Ducted CPU heatsink fan with NZXT EVO

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

xchaotic

Ducted CPU heatsink fan with NZXT EVO

Post by xchaotic » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 am

Hi.

I'm on a quest to silence my PC a bit further, currently there are 4 fans near the CPU:
1. CoolerMaster with push/pull Akasa Apache
2. Akasa Apache attached to the side of the case blowing cold air on the GPU
3. Akasa Apache pulling air out at the back.

I think it's inefficient and I want to improve the airflow.
The most powerful solution I am thinking of is Corsair H70 with my 2 akasa attached to the back of the case.
Another approach is something that would duct the cold air from the side of the case and tunnel it to the back directly. Not sure which HSF I would need to use in that case.

ces

Re: Ducted CPU heatsink fan with NZXT EVO

Post by ces » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:44 am

That is way too many fans. Visualize pulling them all out, then only put one back in for the CPU and one for the video card.

You have a nice case with lots of holes. Don't worry so much about moving air into and out of the case... focus on moving heat from components in the case into the air in the case.

Consider a downdraft cpu cooler:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Noctua_NH-C14_CPU_Cooler
It will cool your cpu, your motherboard components and even some of your video card... all with one fan.

Rasterman

Re: Ducted CPU heatsink fan with NZXT EVO

Post by Rasterman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:53 pm

from my experience it doesn't matter how many fans you have if they are at low rpm, and a good noise. if you have good airflow then lower all fans to 600 rpm and you shouldn't be able to hear them, if you can then get nexus or noctuas. once you quiet those down you will probably hear your video card fan, replace it with a 120mm and some ducts, or get a vga cooler, most come with quiet 92mm fans. without pics or hardware specifics its hard to help.