Currently available (2011) really worthy mini-ITX enclosures

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Currently available (2011) really worthy mini-ITX enclos

Post by merlin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:32 am

If it was like a $20-30 premium over Lian Li, it's possible this OrigenAE case is worthwhile. But Lian Li is already a high end luxury case maker. How can you make a luxury case that's somehow 2-3 times better than an extremely high quality case already? I don't believe it for a second. And I always am skeptical of anything until proven right. I'd always pick the Lian Li considering the current price differences.
Also considering I own a bunch of Antec and Lian Li cases, I can say both do a pretty good job, while Lian Li has very sexy feeling aluminum.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 am

I`m a fan of Lian Li cases and you can tell by my previous comment that I do find the case in question a bit overpriced. However, the Origen m10 is built of much thicker aluminium and more importantly, the main shell is an extruded piece, unlike the bent sheets used by most conventional cases, including lian lis. So I believe the cost per unit is indeed higher and we have to add the cost of the vfd display on top of that, like Zygmut mentioned.
Not exactly. You have to add PSU and AC/DC converter to ITX7. (M10 is supplied with full PSU). Now - for price comparo - you should add VFD display.
Agreed, I neglected to consider the cost of the vfd and psu. However, those two are unlikely to cost more than $100 in total, and I`m being generous here. I don`t doubt that the m10 has a much better finish, I just don`t think that it costs that much more to achieve this kind of finish.

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:09 am

ntavlas wrote:I`m a fan of Lian Li cases and you can tell by my previous comment that I do find the case in question a bit overpriced. However, the Origen m10 is built of much thicker aluminium and more importantly, the main shell is an extruded piece, unlike the bent sheets used by most conventional cases, including lian lis. So I believe the cost per unit is indeed higher and we have to add the cost of the vfd display on top of that, like Zygmut mentioned.
When you compare price of OrigenAE M10 WITOUT display and ITX7 WITH power supply (just to have fair comparo) M10 is not 3 time neither 2 times more expensive, but 50% more expensive.
Is it worth 50% more for better quality?
Recently I had conversation with one of my clients about final media center he ordered.
We came to following conclusion:
If you buy M10 or ITX7 just to put on the shelf and look at it - 50% more maybe too much for someone.
But no one is going to do so. People want final product so you have to add motherboard, CPU, memory, HD, BluRay drive, WIN 7, TMT etc. You have to add $500÷$900 for parts and software. Ceton tuner is $300.00 itself. Then when you compare cost of final product, difference is 8÷10%
Is it worth to add 8÷10%?
My Best