Antec P183 <> P183 V3?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Freeco

Antec P183 <> P183 V3?

Post by Freeco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:57 am

I'm on the lookup for a new case to replace my Antec Solo.
The solo has been a good case but the elastic holders for the HDD's are worn out and the power button broke off. Nothing serious, but I feel it's time for an upgrade.

I've read some reviews and will probably pick the Antec P183. On the Antec site I noticed there's also a P183 V3, but except for the color don't really see if there's any difference to the regular model.
P183
P183 V3

ps:
While I start a topic, any tricks to get this case even less audible?
I won't be upgrading other hardware, except maybe fans. Details of my current build in my sigature.

flemeister

Re: Antec P183 <> P183 V3?

Post by flemeister » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:39 am

Freeco wrote:I've read some reviews and will probably pick the Antec P183. On the Antec site I noticed there's also a P183 V3, but except for the color don't really see if there's any difference to the regular model.
P183
P183 V3
The V3 only really replaces the front eSATA port with a USB 3.0 port. A hole in the motherboard tray for CPU cooler backplates, as well as mounts for 2.5" drives, are also carried over from the P183 V2 (which came out without any fanfare quite a while ago).
Freeco wrote:ps:
While I start a topic, any tricks to get this case even less audible?
I won't be upgrading other hardware, except maybe fans. Details of my current build in my sigature.
Follow the general design concepts in these links, and you'll have my opinion. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-zRU-54Fw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0wMgHFYcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPiCrvJm8Vk

The main ones are:
  • 1x intake fan, 1x CPU fan, 1x exhaust fan. The CPU fan will draw in air through the 5.25" bays if it needs any more. No need for a fan in the lower chamber, as the PSU fan can only intake air from the front, past the hard drives installed there
  • Move the intake fan further inside the case; mount it on the top drive cage using the wire clips. If your video card is too long to allow this, then remove the top cage, including the black plastic rails on the case itself, and wedge the fan in place using two strips of foam like in this photo
  • Mount all fans with silicone grommets
  • Undervolt fans, while maintaining safe temps
  • As a final measure if that's still not enough, use Acoustipack, or at least some sort of acoustic foam

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks for the reply. I indeed overlooked the eSATA <> USB3 difference between the 2 models.
But inspecting the pics & specs on both pages, its seems both have a cutout in the mobo tray and have space for 2.5" drives. Maybe they've quietly changed it since it originally came out.
So the difference is the connections at the front panel and the color of the case. USB3 might be handy in the future, but my current mobo doesn't support it. My next one probably will. But on the other hand, I like the bluish case less :) I'll probably stick with the original P183.

I'll definatelly have a look if I can move the intake fan deeper into the case. Would be good to cool my passive HD5750 better. Not that it's currently an issue, but cooler is always better.

Still on my checklist are some silent fans to replace the oldie Nexus' and perhaps a good fan controller to replace the Zalman FanMates. Perhaps it'll be a pair of Scythe Slipstreams @ 800RPM

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:56 am

Freeco wrote:Thanks for the reply. I indeed overlooked the eSATA <> USB3 difference between the 2 models.
But inspecting the pics & specs on both pages, its seems both have a cutout in the mobo tray and have space for 2.5" drives. Maybe they've quietly changed it since it originally came out.
Correct.

Actually, from looking at images, I believe the V3 has a slightly larger CPU cutout than the previous version. :)
Freeco wrote:So the difference is the connections at the front panel and the color of the case. USB3 might be handy in the future, but my current mobo doesn't support it. My next one probably will. But on the other hand, I like the bluish case less :) I'll probably stick with the original P183.
I guess you can install a 3.5" or 5.25" USB3 device further down the track. :)
Freeco wrote:I'll definatelly have a look if I can move the intake fan deeper into the case. Would be good to cool my passive HD5750 better. Not that it's currently an issue, but cooler is always better.
That's the method I used to cool a passive 5770, and now 2x passive 5770's. Did, and still does the job very nicely. Your single 5750 will be cool as a cucumber.
Freeco wrote:Still on my checklist are some silent fans to replace the oldie Nexus' and perhaps a good fan controller to replace the Zalman FanMates. Perhaps it'll be a pair of Scythe Slipstreams @ 800RPM
I'm using the same fans! :D They're absolutely divine, at least as smooth and benign as a Nexus 120 at its prime, if not better. Plus they can undervolt down to ~400RPM if required.

Looky: Photo

matchu

Post by matchu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:44 pm

My question regarding the p183 v3. Have they made a change to the installation procedure for the top exhaust fan? SPCR reviews of the original p183 indicate that this fan is more prone to higher noise...

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Freeco wrote:So the difference is the connections at the front panel and the color of the case. USB3 might be handy in the future, but my current mobo doesn't support it. My next one probably will. But on the other hand, I like the bluish case less :) I'll probably stick with the original P183.
I am wondering if the V3 is actually "bluish". Could it possibly just be some poor color correction during the photo shoot? Anyone know?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Freeco

Post by Freeco » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 am

m0002a wrote:I am wondering if the V3 is actually "bluish". Could it possibly just be some poor color correction during the photo shoot? Anyone know?
yes indeed, that's quite possible. I've seen webshops where they describe the color as black. So either there are different colors possible, or it's a bad picture on the Antec website.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 am

flemeister wrote:Looks normal on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129174
Not sure I would trust NewEgg photos, since they may not have bothered to re-photograph for V3.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 am

m0002a wrote:
flemeister wrote:Looks normal on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129174
Not sure I would trust NewEgg photos, since they may not have bothered to re-photograph for V3.
Hehe, like Antec re-using a photo of the NSK3300 for their NSK3480's product page. :D

Two reasons why I think Newegg has the correct photos of the P183 V3

1) The front USB 3.0 port is visible
2) The CPU backplate cutout is the correct size - larger than the crappy cutout on the earlier "V2" revision.

Compare this photo to the 6th photo in Newegg's product photo gallery of the P183 V3.