P180/182/183 Successor Without Separate Chambers?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

P180/182/183 Successor Without Separate Chambers?

Post by Kralnor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:22 am

I plan to do a part-upgrade to a Sandy Bridge based system soon (i5-2500k) and I'm looking to do a case upgrade to something that is more friendly to work with and clean. The case should be able to handle the cooling requirements posed by gaming.

Currently my setup looks like this:

Antec P180 (unmodded, have a single HDD mounted in the lower drive cage, bottom fan was/is defective so not using it, all the remaining fans running at "low").
C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz with a CM212+ (uses PWM and is practically inaudible, never goes above 600RPM and keeps the CPU maxed around 50C at full load).
XFX 5770 (fairly quiet at idle, using MSI Afterburner to drop minimum fan speed to 20%, can get a bit noisy during heavy load, but nothing that bothers me since that is only during gaming).
2TB Hitachi 7k2 (this one seems to run quite hot, can get near 50C when performing I/O intensive tasks which I am not happy with).
Corsair 620HX (great modular PSU, fairly quiet as well).
GA-965P-DS4 (purely passively cooled)

Now apart from doing a CPU/RAM/motherboard upgrade I plan to replace the case and add an SSD as main OS drive - mainly for the performance increase with a side bonus being reducing HDD churning (as the HDD will mostly be used for storage). I'll keep the 5770 for now as it does fine in 1920x1080 with lowered detail.

I'm looking for a P180 replacement because I am not happy with the whole lower chassis design. I ended up ruining an HDD by breaking its pins when I tried to route cables down there. Cable management is also pretty poor with this case. I have to give credit on the acoustic front though.

At first I had my eyes on the Fractal Design Define R3. It seemed to be the spiritual successor to the P180, but without the annoying lower chassis design. Plus it's very good value, too. However, it does seem to be somewhat cheaply built. The Antec Twelve Hundred also looks interesting, but I really wouldn't want to push my budget further than that (I wouldn't like going over $150 for any case) and I'm not sure I care for the whole LED-circus (although I suppose those could be disabled?); rather have a clean and simple looking case.

Any suggestions?

Jim G

Re: P180/182/183 Successor Without Separate Chambers?

Post by Jim G » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 am

No issues here with our R3 and Define XL in terms of build quality... I'm happy with them and I'd gladly buy them again. For something that's clean-looking, very functional and well-laid out with good cable management they're hard to go past. The sides are a PITA to get back on from time to time on the R3 but someone dropped ours so it's now hard to tell what's the case and what's the drop! :S Considering that's the only effect of being dropped I couldn't really complain, though...

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

Re: P180/182/183 Successor Without Separate Chambers?

Post by Kralnor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 am

Cheers for your input, it's appreciated.

I have done some more research and I think I have settled on the Fractal R3. For the price it just seems like a great value option for a silent build. It also does not have the (to me, at least) annoying separating chambers.