The case of the damned case, AKA the ballad of sad PSU

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

_MarcoM_

The case of the damned case, AKA the ballad of sad PSU

Post by _MarcoM_ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:12 am

Prologue: after 3 years, my psu is almost dead. Sometimes i can see sparkle when powered on, and this thing smell of burning rubber... yet another dead psu in my IT life, i have a cemetery full of psu damaged over the years, due to too much heat over the long term. PSU on top don't work more for a modern pc, psu on top is not acceptable any more.

Ok folks, i need to change my white beauty. I need a new case, ATX form factor, compact if it is possible, quiet oriented.
No foam inside, i hate it lol. If i want it, i can add it myself. Positive pressure is good, excellent quality of the case is welcome.
I want to equip a bigger gfx card, if needed; P150 don't permit this, and i don't want to mod it.
Ah, i forgot... GOOD PSU COOLING.

I can spend max 150 dollars/euro for it. Any idea?

Abula

Re: The case of the damned case, AKA the ballad of sad PSU

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:33 am

Since you want compact case, if you were to consider micro atx, this two can fit big vide cards,

SILVERSTONE TJ08B-E - a new revision, reveresed mounted micro atx, one 180mm frontal fan, 120mm optional back fan, seems pretty nice, i have one on the way, have seen comments about the 180mm fan being noisy at full rpms, but decent opinions on low rpms. It can fit even 6990 gpus (the longest current in the market) with some room to spare.

Fractal Design Define Mini - A micro atx case that can hold 6x 3.5 hdds, but one of the trays can be removed to fit up to 400mm video cards. Only downside it does have sound dampening inside, since you mentioned you didnt like it.

I went with TJ08E + X660 (still on route), but my suggestion go with efficient PSU like Seasonic X series.

boost

Post by boost » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 am

Silverstone FT01, recommeded by SPCR, looks great, great build quality. You can remove the top hard drive cage, if the graphics card ist too long.
The Sharkoon Rebel 9 aluminum is a basic case with a nice front. Quality is miles away from the Silverstone, but it's one third the price.
The Scythe Fenriswolf looks kinda bland, but the build quality is great and it's made from Aluminum.
The Lian Li PC50B has a very open design. If your system has loud components, you're gonne hear 'em. It has tons of places for fans 120mm and 140mm.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi, doesn't help the graphics card length issue but might inspire!
Solo build

Seb

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:52 am

Thank you for the help mates, the fortress seems a good choice. The raven series seems a good choice too, even if ugly. They can be placed on the floor, which probably i will.