Lian Li PC-9F or Fractal Arc/Define mini ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Smile

Lian Li PC-9F or Fractal Arc/Define mini ?

Post by Smile » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a case for my mini-itx 6 HDD's server based on perhaps Zotac H55.
The 6 HDD bays are all going to be populated. What case will be more silent?
I need to be able to pull each HDD individually, no hot swap needed as it's very expensive. I can damp my case as needed I have the materials already.

I would like to hear from somebody who actually has that many hard drives. In some review with similar hard drive mount system as PC-9F silentpcreview said that it was worse than PC-Q08 but also said that lian li now uses silicone washers instead of rubber. So I'm puzzled what to choose.

Just found this Fractal Define review that shows that hard disk bays a loose themselves, skip to 11:45min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6U0w2eWos
Seems to be design flaw to me

lhopitalified

Re: Lian Li PC-9F or Fractal Arc/Define mini ?

Post by lhopitalified » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Smile wrote:Just found this Fractal Define review that shows that hard disk bays a loose themselves, skip to 11:45min
I have a Define Mini, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with loose hard drive bays. I suspect they've done something to fix the problem since the R2.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:56 pm

For a pure mini ITX build with 6 hdds i would go with Lian Li Q08, on Micro ATX i would go with Define Mini or Arc Mini, i would change the fans for Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm Fan - 800 RPM (SY1225SL12L) or Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm Fan - 500 RPM (SY1225SL12SL)

Smile

Post by Smile » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am

lhopitalified wrote:
Smile wrote:Just found this Fractal Define review that shows that hard disk bays a loose themselves, skip to 11:45min
I have a Define Mini, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with loose hard drive bays. I suspect they've done something to fix the problem since the R2.
You mean that HDD metal holders on your case are not loose like in the video? Can you actually see what holds them in place then, changed design of metal plates? I only wish define mini would be reviewed by silentpcreview and compared to PC-Q08 vs. PC-9F vc. Fractal Define mini. :)

ugo1

Post by ugo1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 am

I will go away from the Lian li Q08. I have the Lian-li 354 which is very silent but the hard disk cages are very noise. The some problem is on the Q08