Ahanix Knight

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rinoryan_33

Ahanix Knight

Post by Rinoryan_33 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:40 pm

Hey, I've been pondering a number of cases for the new "quiet" system i am building. I found the Ahanix Knight, it hasnt been realeased yet but it looks like a good case and wanted some opinions if you guys think it would be a good place to start for a silent system. Here a link http://www.ahanix.com/knight.html . Im kinda wondering how well the built in fan control works. Seems like a nice feature. An i like how the front door slide out of the way. And i like the look but just wondering what you all think. Thanks

al bundy

Re: Ahanix Knight

Post by al bundy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:20 pm

Rinoryan_33 wrote:Hey, I've been pondering a number of cases for the new "quiet" system i am building. I found the Ahanix Knight, it hasnt been realeased yet but it looks like a good case and wanted some opinions if you guys think it would be a good place to start for a silent system. Here a link http://www.ahanix.com/knight.html . Im kinda wondering how well the built in fan control works. Seems like a nice feature. An i like how the front door slide out of the way. And i like the look but just wondering what you all think. Thanks
I think it looks nice too, and I also like the way that the door opens and then slides out of the way like that. Very cool.

8)

Fabool

Post by Fabool » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:29 am

It's the 3RSystem R101 case. See: http://www.3rsystem.co.kr

I think it has good potential for a quiet case, I love the idea with the fan grill so that you can mount 80mm or 120mm fans (note, I'm not the type that cuts the grills out). Not too sure about the front fan intake though.

I was actually considering this case myself, though I don't like the looks that much, bit too "high tech" for my simple-is-beautiful taste :)

http://www.x-trememodz.com/modules.php? ... age&pid=40

I think there were other reviews too, but I couldn't find them right now.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:07 am

Pimpy. I love how the little tool kit mounts in there. Good idea.
Add some grommeted HD mounts, and it would be a thumbs up.

Keel

Post by Keel » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:50 pm

that case looks sweeeeeeeet

but magnetic head screwdriver stored right next to harddrives?? :shock:

TheJTrain

Post by TheJTrain » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:54 pm

That does look like a pretty sweet case - can anyone find a place that carries the 3R 101 case (since the Ahanix version isn't out yet); wonder what the price tag is...

Jason

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:00 pm

Holy crap is that x-trememodz.com site annoying.

Rinoryan_33

Post by Rinoryan_33 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:11 am

No one knows of a place to buy the 3R 101 case? Preferably for me a place in Canada but if not a place in the Usa that ships to Canada.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:30 pm

It is available on MWave.com (a very reputable reseller) for $65+S&H without PSU. I think that this is a great price assuming the case is good.

Any suggestions, do you think it will live up to 3700 standards and maybe up? :)

Here is the link to the manufacturer: http://www.ahanix.com/knight.html
and to the reseller: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ProdCASE-AHA ... AHANIX.hmx?

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:53 am

The 3R System site has a bottom-up picture showing the front air intake.
http://3rsystem.co.kr/english/product/case/r101.asp

I wonder if that's adequate for good air flow.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:26 am

ColdFlame wrote:It is available on MWave.com (a very reputable reseller) for $65+S&H without PSU. I think that this is a great price assuming the case is good.

Any suggestions, do you think it will live up to 3700 standards and maybe up? :)

Here is the link to the manufacturer: http://www.ahanix.com/knight.html
and to the reseller: big long Mwave URL
From Mwave's website:
Mwave wrote:Do you ship internationally?

Unfortunately, we do not currently ship internationally. We do require a US billing and shipping address. We do apologize.
So no Canadain shipments from Mwave for Rinoryan_33. :(

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:37 am

mrk22 wrote:The 3R System site has a bottom-up picture showing the front air intake.
http://3rsystem.co.kr/english/product/case/r101.asp

I wonder if that's adequate for good air flow.
I would guess it's a pretty decent comprimise of air-flow for silence. (With the opening toward the floor, and none in the front of the case, that should block some case noise from escaping directly out the front.)

My concern with this case would be if you had it placed on carpeting...that might block a bit more airflow.

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:47 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:I would guess it's a pretty decent comprimise of air-flow for silence. (With the opening toward the floor, and none in the front of the case, that should block some case noise from escaping directly out the front.)
The opening looks similar to the one on the Neo Classic and there's been concern about it's airflow abilities. I wonder why more cases don't adopt the Evercase intake style.
Joe DeFuria wrote: My concern with this case would be if you had it placed on carpeting...that might block a bit more airflow.
That should be easy to rectify by propping it up on something.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:45 pm

I have GMC X-21 which is similar to Classic but has a door. It seems that Black Knight is very similar to X-21 but with 120 fans. Same front bezel opening.

One thing I have with X-21 is that it is a very quiet case for a system with modest heat dissipation. However, after I put a hot running Barton (2.4 Ghz) there I'm unable to keep the temps down even with 2x80mm fans (exhaust) at full speed. My temps are just plain scary. I guess it must be because of the front intake.

I think I will try to remove the front panel completely and see if there is a big (or any) difference.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:12 pm

Newegg is selling these cases.....The thing looks great in the pictures. I'm wondering about the fan control system. Has anybody around here bought one, or even seen one?

Black Knight

xoham

if you liked / disliked the Black Knight...

Post by xoham » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:31 am

Have you looked at the 3R Systems Air?

http://3rsystem.co.kr/english/product/case/air.asp

I think it is just as stylish, if not more, and doesn't have that pesky problem with the door covering the USB ports. I'm not sure if it is any better or worse than the BK when it comes to ventilation on the front. Can't really see where the air comes in. I may ask them to add a another photo that makes this more obvious.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:11 pm

Nice looking. Is there a USA seller?

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:36 pm

Newegg has them...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:26 am

Ahanix Version?. Slightly different specs however. Cheap price, but OOS. :(

Shows an 80mm rear fan in the photos, rather than a 120mm fan of the 3R....

xoham

spoke too soon

Post by xoham » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:11 pm

Guess I spoke too soon. The 3R Systems Air is discontinued. I assume this means the OEM Ahanix DBOX is also discontinued. Too bad because it looked nice and came in an Aluminum version.

It was also strange how they advertised it as 120mm on front and back but in the photos showed an 80mm hole on the back.

PiSan

Post by PiSan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:23 pm

Newegg is selling these cases.....The thing looks great in the pictures. I'm wondering about the fan control system. Has anybody around here bought one, or even seen one?
Yes, I'm currently using one for my system. I love the looks at the fan setup was easy. The fan control is simple and easy, but I haven't tried using it with anything other than the stock fans.
I'm no silence guru, but I would still say it is a fairly quiet case. I'm not too sure about the airflow sice I oc and leave the case open anyway. While it may not be a good case for extreme audiophiles, I'm very happy with it and love the looks.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:53 pm

Well PiSan, I guess you're the only one who will admit to having this case. I've about decided to buy a few. Just how sturdy/easy to use is that very unusual door? Does the documentation mention how low the voltage is at the lowest setting?

Thanks for the reply and any more help....

PiSan

Post by PiSan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:51 pm

The door is held closed with a reasonably strengthed magnet. It won't swing open on its own, but very little force is required to open it. I'm not positive on the track mechanism, but it seems sturdy to me. I even go to lans and I don't even notice it in transit. (Just make sure you don't use it as a handle)

Fan control has (off - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - auto). I can't seem to find what actual voltage changes there are though, nor do I know of any way to test for them.

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Sun May 02, 2004 9:57 am

I am also looking at this case. Can anybody confirm airflow problems with it? Is it true that no air comes in from the front? Only from down? Maybe I got it wrong...

Are the fans any good noise-wise? By the way, can a single 120mm rear fan make up for the airflow of two 80mm rear fans, and at the same time create less noise? Is that really so?

Can the case door be completely removed, that is, without breaking it?

As to the automatic fan control, I see it depends on temps measured with 3 sensors. Can you set the temps at which fan speeds max out, or even the combination of measured temps that control each of the fans?

It's a pity that it doesn't have more front pannel connectors, and the only ones are covered by the door.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun May 02, 2004 10:39 am

Here's the write-up on my Black Knight. I have no major complaints about the thing. It's the best case I've owned.

The two 120mm fans are Yate Loon.....very quiet.

You can adjust the fan speeds manually....or put them on automatic. On auto, the sensor #1 is used. You can adjust the temp at which the fans start....then the speed goes up as the temp rises. I use manual, so at the lowest setting, the two fans are running on 2.8v. These fans are run at the same speed, not independantly.

The intake hole under the front bezel is probably too small for most setups..... I put in a big vent on the bottom on the two I built.

You could probably remove the front door....one screw mounts the lower hinge pivot bracket. Why? That door is great.

There is nothing like this case for anywhere close to the price...NewEgg<$60.

will0957

Post by will0957 » Sun May 02, 2004 10:02 pm

looks interesting. i'd like to see an SPCR review! :D