buy smallest ATX case or replace fans?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

silentmitx

buy smallest ATX case or replace fans?

Post by silentmitx » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi, my Antec 300 case is too LOUD! :) Can anyone suggest ways to silence it? The other option is to buy a case. I also think my case is too large. I don't take it too many places but I just don't like the space it takes up. Also, there are times I might take it someplace but decide not to because of the size/weight.

I think the fans are probably too loud. I want to build a new computer so I have been hesitant to invest much into it but the noise is bothering me now. It has a P45 mobo and Q6600 with a tower cooler. I even thought of getting a low profile cooler - just won't overclock. I was looking into selling parts on ebay but I think I should buy the new computer first? Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop or '2nd' computer so I'd have to use my smartphone if I sold anything first.

If I replaced the Antec 300 case, I'd probably try to get the Lian Li PC-A05FNB. It's expensive at $90 but would be a lot lighter and I believe, smaller.

I want to build an itx system eventually - either the Silverstone Milo 07 case and i5 or i7 cpu w/ S (cannot find -T processors in stock) or the SG13 when it comes out.

But, for now, I will contemplate what to do with the current system. There are 5 120mm fans in my computer case. One exhaust (in the back), one in the top of the case, one for the cpu/heat sink and two in the front (intake). I cannot tell which one is causing the noise or maybe just the total number is?

I could go into the BIOS and reduce the fan speeds of some but won't that effect cooling?

Cooling temps/speeds as of this post are:
CPU FAN Speed: 1962 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
CHASSIS1 FAN Speed: 1259 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
CHASSIS2 FAN Speed: 1259 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
POWER FAN Speed: 1318 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +37.5°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature: +33.0°C (high = +45.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +50.0°C (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +49.0°C (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +45.0°C (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +45.0°C (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Do they look okay?

Okay, I hope I didn't ramble on too much. Any suggestions/advice? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I really don't know what to do here. Various options but some are easier (less costly) than others?

quest_for_silence

Re: buy smallest ATX case or replace fans?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:02 am

silentmitx wrote:I'd probably try to get the Lian Li PC-A05FNB.

IMHO it wouldn't be that a good idea, cooling wise (rather hot, but even your Three Hundred isn't exactly such a cool enclosure) and noise wise (prone to vibrations): take also note that although it's lighter (4.4Kg vs 7Kg), most of the rig's weight does not come from the case itself. On the other hand, quality wise, the A05 is way better, and it's a pleasure to work with it (it's also more fragile and it needs to be handled with care).

Said that, the Antec fans are rather mediocre sound-wise, and from your reported data I guess they are purely BIOS controlled, so they're maybe running significantly faster than needed at idle/low loads.

Olaf van der Spek

Re: buy smallest ATX case or replace fans?

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:17 am

quest_for_silence wrote:but even your Three Hundred isn't exactly such a cool enclosure
With 5 fans you'd hope cooling would be decent.

silentmitx, what GPU have you got and what do you use the computer for?