Case fans, Fractal GP 140 vs bequiet Silent Wings 2 140?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Stratohero

Case fans, Fractal GP 140 vs bequiet Silent Wings 2 140?

Post by Stratohero » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 pm

The bequiet one is 100% more expensive but is quieter by 4bB, both are below whisper quiet(20dB).

Of course, that doesn't say anything about what kind of noise they produce.

Has anyone experienced both fans?

Stratohero

Re: Case fans, Fractal GP 140 vs bequiet Silent Wings 2 140?

Post by Stratohero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:40 am

Hellooooo?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:11 am

Stratohero wrote: both are below whisper quiet(20dB).
where are those numbers from?

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:53 am

I also have a question, if you want your MBO to dynamically control all the case fans via Fanxpert or something, do all the fans need to be PWM?

And if they are not what happens?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:57 am

Stratohero wrote:both are below whisper quiet(20dB).

20dB is not whisper quiet, it is moderately loud.

Stratohero wrote:Has anyone experienced both fans?
SPCR has tested both those fans: check Lawrence and Mike notes on them.

Stratohero wrote:Hellooooo?

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 am - Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm
Please note: we do not job piecework, neither we're required to stay here at least once every 12 hours (said differently: SPCR forum is our playground, but not your toll free customer help).

Stratohero wrote:I also have a question, if you want your MBO to dynamically control all the case fans via Fanxpert or something, do all the fans need to be PWM?

No, they can be also voltage controlled (3 pin).

Stratohero wrote:And if they are not what happens?

Nothing special: you should just set up them properly.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:45 am

Stratohero wrote:I also have a question, if you want your MBO to dynamically control all the case fans via Fanxpert or something, do all the fans need to be PWM?
Its best to understand the motherboard limitations, some can do PWM and Voltage controlled, other can do either on ceirtian fan headers, some have high limitations on bios, others are more open, other lie about how they work, either way, its best to reserach the motherboard that you like, that fit your budget and needs, and over those reserach how they control fans both in bios and software, and decide upon your needs, and then buy the fans according to how you will control them and the motherboard limitations.

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am

With CTRL+F, PWM is not even mentioned, just that there are 4 chassis fan slots.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Stratohero wrote:With CTRL+F, PWM is not even mentioned, just that there are 4 chassis fan slots.
????

Check the chassis fan headers pinout on the manual.

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Are those fans you have non-PWM?

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:04 pm

You guys didn't explain anything properly, here is the proper explanation, so this MBO does have 4 pin connectors which means it does support all 4 PWM chassis fans.

You also didn't say this-
What speed you run your fans at is totally up to your personal preference. But the whole point of having a speed controller for the fans on your motherboard is that the fans will automatically speed up in accordance with the temperatures detected inside your system. What's the point of running the fans full speed if the system isn't actually hot enough to warrant it?
I'm very disappointed in this forum, PWM fans are obligatory for an automatic MBO-controlled air system.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Stratohero wrote:I'm very disappointed in this forum

Well, go trolling elsewhere.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Stratohero wrote:I'm very disappointed in this forum, PWM fans are obligatory for an automatic MBO-controlled air system.
Of course you're disappointed. You've obviously arrived here with your own pre-conceived ideas and a lack of interest in alternative opinions. Have you tested the information in your random reddit link or are you just taking it as gospel? As one example, Asus FanXpert will automatically find the lowest possible starting voltage of any compatible non-PWM fan, rendering the argument of non-starting fans pretty much void. I use three 140mm non-PWM fans in a motherboard-controlled setup, and while the control range many not be quiet as finite as true PWM, they are perfectly functional on automatic setting ranging from 425 RPM (inaudible) to full speed (1200). PWM is not obligatory; I know this from considerable testing of voltage control across four different brands (Noctua, Fractal, Phantek, Sycthe).

Feel free to seek alternative advice if you don't appreciate the information you've been given here. The internet is good for it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Stratohero wrote:You guys didn't explain anything properly, here is the proper explanation, so this MBO does have 4 pin connectors which means it does support all 4 PWM chassis fans.
You need to reasearch, not all motherboards are the same, as i said before, you need to check each motherboard into how it works, and specially dont assume because its 4pin header its PWM control, in the past a lot of manufacters have lied into how they work, this are things that you need to research for yourself, and even between manufactuers, from gen to gen things change.... so there are no absolutes, for this i told you first chose the motherboard that fits your budget and needs, then check if the fan control is good for the fans you plan on using.
Stratohero wrote:PWM fans are obligatory for an automatic MBO-controlled air system.
As Quinnbeast said before, its not mandatory, as a matter of fact, to me, the best fans sound wise are still 3pin like Noiseblockers M12-S1 or Scythe Gentle Typhoons, etc. PWM is not better or worst, simply is the way the fans are designed/controlled.
Stratohero wrote:I'm very disappointed in this forum
Good luck elsewhere with your attitude.