Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Post Reply
davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Will be putting together a Dual Xeon Setup. CPU's are 115 TDP each.

Currently looking at Supressor F51 (Supports E-ATX) or Inwin 909. Any thoughts on either of these? Would things be more silent using Dual X61 (can be done in In Win) or Standard Air (Noctua u12dx i4).

My concern with the InWin is if it can provide adequate airflow. I appreciate any advice.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 am

davewolfs wrote:Will be putting together a Dual Xeon Setup. CPU's are 115 TDP each.

Currently looking at Supressor F51 (Supports E-ATX) or Inwin 909. Any thoughts on either of these? Would things be more silent using Dual X61 (can be done in In Win) or Standard Air (Noctua u12dx i4).

My concern with the InWin is if it can provide adequate airflow. I appreciate any advice.

Basically the InWin is a very expensive hotbox, not well suitable for anything serious at least on air (there should be a review on extremerigs, IIRC).
On the other hand the F51 is just a shameless copy of the Fractal R5 (so why reward such a plagiarism?).

About cooling prowess, it actually depends of boundary conditions (possible GPUs, kind of loads, ambient temp, and so on).
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:55 am

If Fractal could produce a box that was capable of handling an EEB board that was more in line with respect to size as their R5 series I would be all over it but they don't.

I received the Supressor and Thermaltake can't even drill their holes properly because it doesn't support a SM Board. Seems like the Enthoo Pro is the only other option. InWin has no issues with an EEB board.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am

davewolfs wrote:I received the Supressor and Thermaltake can't even drill their holes properly because it doesn't support a SM Board. Seems like the Enthoo Pro is the only other option. InWin has no issues with an EEB board.

I'm not sure to have understood you, by the way: a) as you may know, SSI EEB is not interchangeable with EATX, overall dimensios are the same but they use some different mounting holes (3, IIRC); b) Enthoo Pro would be my preferred choice for a very hot rig, but I don't know whether it sports EEB holes as it's specced as EATX; c) InWin also is specced as EATX... are you sure that you need an EEB board?

Anyway whether your information were more accurate than mine, pick that 909, though I'd use a custom loop for more effective cooling/silence.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:42 am

I don't know if it's EATX or EEB, SM marks its as E-ATX 12x13. InWin + Enthoo Definitely both work. F51 does not which kind of sucks as it seems relatively well made.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:44 pm

No one should ever buy thermaltake. They are exactly what is wrong in PC design.

All they have ever accomplished is blatant thievery and disingenuous advertising.
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

wharrad
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by wharrad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 am

Sorry, I don't know a lot about the cases, but just quickly (and you may already know!)

SM tend to have different mounting holes to standard regardless of EE-ATX, EEB etc etc. They'll tell you they only support their cases. I had to drill / tap new mounting holes to fit a dual E5 system in a Lian Li PC-A76X (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li- ... 74-ll.html). It was chosen because the motherboard was about an inch taller than normal (i.e. normally the top of motherboards line up with the top of the rear plate you add for all the sockets. It was the only case that definitely had the space above the motherboard. Sneaky annoyance!

One other thing to keep an eye open for, sometimes their CPU cooler mounting brackets are of that "thin" non-square kind. That can really reduce heatsink options.


Oh, if it helps, two 95w CPUs at a constant 100% load in that case, with Noctua fans and the Prolimatech Megahelms sits at about 40c under load. Quiet when idle, a noticeable noise by my ears when under load. I admit it's getting on a bit now (3 years) and the TDP is lower than yours, BUT a near silent 2 socket system is possible!

davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:18 pm

wharrad wrote:Sorry, I don't know a lot about the cases, but just quickly (and you may already know!)

SM tend to have different mounting holes to standard regardless of EE-ATX, EEB etc etc. They'll tell you they only support their cases. I had to drill / tap new mounting holes to fit a dual E5 system in a Lian Li PC-A76X (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li- ... 74-ll.html). It was chosen because the motherboard was about an inch taller than normal (i.e. normally the top of motherboards line up with the top of the rear plate you add for all the sockets. It was the only case that definitely had the space above the motherboard. Sneaky annoyance!

One other thing to keep an eye open for, sometimes their CPU cooler mounting brackets are of that "thin" non-square kind. That can really reduce heatsink options.


Oh, if it helps, two 95w CPUs at a constant 100% load in that case, with Noctua fans and the Prolimatech Megahelms sits at about 40c under load. Quiet when idle, a noticeable noise by my ears when under load. I admit it's getting on a bit now (3 years) and the TDP is lower than yours, BUT a near silent 2 socket system is possible!
Which way do you have your CPU coolers pointing up or sideways? Are you using the exhaust on the top?

I know for sure both the InWin and Enthoo will fit the SM board. Not sure about anything else.

davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:20 pm

xan_user wrote:No one should ever buy thermaltake. They are exactly what is wrong in PC design.

All they have ever accomplished is blatant thievery and disingenuous advertising.
That is the beauty of the free market. I can go out and buy crap like Thermaltake and listen to people whine about it like children on the forums :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 pm

davewolfs wrote:
xan_user wrote:No one should ever buy thermaltake. They are exactly what is wrong in PC design.

All they have ever accomplished is blatant thievery and disingenuous advertising.
That is the beauty of the free market. I can go out and buy crap like Thermaltake and listen to people whine about it like children on the forums :)
consumers with that attitude are the saddest thing about the free market. TT is still in business, stealing ideas of actual hard working , dedicated people, only to sell an inferior clone, putting the real innovators in the poorhouse.
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

davewolfs
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by davewolfs » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:40 pm

xan_user wrote:
davewolfs wrote:
xan_user wrote:No one should ever buy thermaltake. They are exactly what is wrong in PC design.

All they have ever accomplished is blatant thievery and disingenuous advertising.
That is the beauty of the free market. I can go out and buy crap like Thermaltake and listen to people whine about it like children on the forums :)
consumers with that attitude are the saddest thing about the free market. TT is still in business, stealing ideas of actual hard working , dedicated people, only to sell an inferior clone, putting the real innovators in the poorhouse.
So decided to try the F51 after receiving some plastic stand offs. I needed to use a total of 5 (top left, 3 down center, 1 bottom right). This case is absolutely fantastic for the money. Works well with E-ATX which to be honest there really isn't any competition that is around the same size and price as the F51.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Dual Xeon Setup - InWin 909/Supressor F51

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:38 pm

davewolfs wrote:there really isn't any competition that is around the same size and price as the F51.
What about the relevant temps?
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

Post Reply