Antec P160

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:21 pm

klas wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:My reliable source told me that Antec is finally starting to ship P160s now. When they'll get to the dealers is a question that I can't answer.
haha, I've purchased it 2 days ago :)
It's probably a counterfit, or at best it's "hot"! :)

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:22 pm

Well, don't keep us in suspenders....How is it? Is it quiet?

klas

Post by klas » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:09 pm

something wrong with these forums!!! I've posted 3 times and get Invalid Session! wth!

Anyway, the case is nice, but I can't really tell you how it performs because I am still waiting for my other parts to arrive and I am too lazy to take appart my old machine.

klas

Post by klas » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:11 pm

btw if you guys look at pricewatch.com you will see that there are more stores have p160 listing, and finally Axion Tech listing it In stock!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:41 pm

klas wrote:something wrong with these forums!!! I've posted 3 times and get Invalid Session! wth!
Happens if you take too long to answer, I noticed.

Nice thing about Opera is that you can press Back and what you typed is still there. With IE, it's gone.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:02 am

I have one on backorder with a dealer in Colorado. I sent them an email asking for status and was told they have received some cases and shipped them out to folks ahead of me in line.

David

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:26 am

Does anyone else besides me think it unusual that the P160 isn't even listed in Antec's own store?

BobD

Post by BobD » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:44 am

First post @ SPCR!

Central Computer in Newark, CA has had one on the showroom floor since Monday 11/17. Priced at $129USD.

Bob

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:42 pm

BobD wrote:First post @ SPCR!

Central Computer in Newark, CA has had one on the showroom floor since Monday 11/17. Priced at $129USD.

Bob
BobD - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

There's a P160 on a FedEx truck on it's way to Hutter Labs for a review. I'll post it as soon as I get everything sorted out. (Don't necessarily hold your breath! :) )

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:48 pm

ralf are u rich or something, u have an endless supply of comptuer stuff i can only dream of

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:53 pm

No GG, he has the All Powerful avatar. :wink:

Dare to dream mere mortals, dare to dream. :lol:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:03 pm

you guys are bastards :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:04 pm

GamingGod wrote:ralf are u rich or something, u have an endless supply of comptuer stuff i can only dream of
Don't forget, I'm the Computer Lord. I snap my fingers and mere mortals quake in their boots and instantly obey.

klas

Post by klas » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:14 pm

computerstop.com (Redmond, WA.... guess where I work ;) ) had it in their showroom since last week as well and they finally have it listed in their online catalog

http://www.computerstop.com/asp/product ... or=&PT_ID=

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:43 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: Don't forget, I'm the Computer Lord. I snap my fingers and mere mortals quake in their boots and instantly obey.
You will know that you are really the Computer Lord when you can make them wet (or worse) their pants at the mere mention of your name!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:56 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Don't forget, I'm the Computer Lord. I snap my fingers and mere mortals quake in their boots and instantly obey.
OK we have the Lord, we have Klas who works for the Evil Empire, but I have the Ring! Yes, my preciousss..

*cough* Sorry. We return you to your regular programming. I'm going to take my medication now.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:08 am

We're not listing it as buyable in our store, to make sure that we get as many units out to the channel (ie distie's and retailers). Once we get caught back up, we'll change that.

AntecRep

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:38 am

I can make females wet their pants at the mere sight of my gorgeous man body :D

klas

Post by klas » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:08 pm

GamingGod wrote:I can make females wet their pants at the mere sight of my gorgeous man body :D
um, and how is that related?

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:34 pm

mmm Natalie Portman... *droooool* :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:42 pm

klas wrote:um, and how is that related?
It's all your fault - we're waiting for your review, since we've been advised to keep breathing by Ralf Hutter :-)

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:49 pm

something I just realised - there's a 1" gap between the top of the power supply and the top (inside) of the case. this can't possibly be for a radiator or similar, so what on earth is that for??

klas

Post by klas » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:25 pm

lenny wrote:
klas wrote:um, and how is that related?
It's all your fault - we're waiting for your review, since we've been advised to keep breathing by Ralf Hutter :-)
anyway guys, I will post my mini review tomorrow (been busy all week) then I will have some time on my hands to take appart my old computer and put it in a new case because I am still waiting for my $199 deal from Intel ;) and that might take a long time....

is there anything can be done about "Invalid Session"? it's driving me crazy!

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:16 pm

Still waiting for the antec P160 and Super LanBoy arrive in my locality.

I was at the local compusa and talking to the computer guy there. Asking about the new Antec cases. He said he had no idea when they would be in. Had not heard of them. He wanted to show me the Koolance water cooled case. I said I was not interested in three noisy fans on the top of my case. I said I was looking for a case with a 120mm fan so I could slow it down for quieter operation. He seemed suprised, never heard of that. He seemed to be more insterested in showing me the overclocking abilities of the water cooled system.

They had a Wavemaster case housing a tricked out system labelled Compaq, but he said they don't sell the case. It was nice to see it in person. I do like the case, but have heard the airflow is limited so will have to cross that off my list. I found on the web today that Compaq is packaging a system in the Wavemaster. They want $2999 for this thing, which is ridiculous.

http://www.icronticforums.com/showthrea ... eadid=3080

I could put my 850 Duron system in this an run every program I need for work, surf the web, email except for newer games (other than FS2002 and Privateer, I don't play much else).

Wanted to mention, my HD is a Maxtor 120GB model with the *MB cache. It is very silent most of the time (speaking of seek noise only), except that after 15-30mins I suppose the cache fills up and then it has to dump any "dirty" blocks to the disk. It does this all at once, very similar in effect to when Win 3.1 would exceed virtual memory and start thrashing the drive. It's a steady click-clunk clunk as it pages to disk. This is extremely annoying to me. Much more annoying that the old Maxtor drive that had a 2MB cache that I only head seeking when it had something to seek. And overall, I think the 20MB was quieter. I suppose the moral of this story is that big HD caches are quiet---until they get full.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:48 pm

canthearyou wrote:Wanted to mention, my HD is a Maxtor 120GB model with the *MB cache. It is very silent most of the time (speaking of seek noise only), except that after 15-30mins I suppose the cache fills up and then it has to dump any "dirty" blocks to the disk. It does this all at once, very similar in effect to when Win 3.1 would exceed virtual memory and start thrashing the drive. It's a steady click-clunk clunk as it pages to disk. This is extremely annoying to me. Much more annoying that the old Maxtor drive that had a 2MB cache that I only head seeking when it had something to seek. And overall, I think the 20MB was quieter. I suppose the moral of this story is that big HD caches are quiet---until they get full.
Off topic for this thread. If you want suggestions on fixing this I recommend starting a new thread. But what you're describing is almost definitely not the cache filling up (it takes the HDD much less than a second to flush 8 MB to disk). It also doesn't take 15-30 mins for the cache to fill up. It might be Windows cache being flushed, but I don't think so either. More likely it's the same Win 3.1 virtual memory thing. What OS are you running? If it's NT / 2K / XP open up task manager and check memory usage. When memory use approaches physical memory limit paging starts.

Have you switched AAM on your Maxtor to "minimum acoustic output" or whatever that's called?

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:20 pm

Looks like Directron has the P160 in stock now. (no more ETA)
At $114 it's the best price I've found so far.

If anyone has one, please post some pics of the front grill area/bezzel where the fan is mounted as I'm curious to how much clearance there is for airflow.

klas

Post by klas » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:22 pm

lol I was about to post that

preordered from them on the first place, but then cancelled

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:54 am

Okay, but this thread was drifting into meaningless chat anyway...and I did not really expect an answer on th HD clicking.

So I will bring it on topic. Would the aluminum construction of the P160 amplify a noisy hard disk? I would have to take that into consideration.

Steve

klas

Post by klas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:01 am

I really don’t feel like going through the hassle transferring my current config to a new case, but I did take a closer look at the case and here is my initial impression:

P160 looks nice if you look from far away, but when you get closer the front looks like came of from a $30 case.
It’s all plastic and I was kind of disappointed to find that out. Inside
it's very roomy and there is extra space between the top of the case and PSU
which also make this case taller then medium tower (a minus in my list of preferences)

I will continue update this, but so far the pros/cons are:

Pros:
2x120 mm fans
very light (I've never owned aluminium case before )
Lots of space and I looks like will have a good airflow

Cons:
cheap feel of the front face plate (all plastic)
bigger then mid tower
120mm fan?? not even 1??
was kinda tricky to remove the side panel, I prefer standard sliding ones

Don't expect "WOW" when you see this case in front of you (at least that’s what happened to me), but more like "Whatever, we'll se how it performs" and I think it's worth less then $100 not 129.99 that doesn't even have a window

Yet to discover how loud it gets when I put my new computer together

Anyway, if you have any questions for me let me know, of course I know you would like to find out how quiet it is...

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:31 am

Makes me kind of glad I bought the BQE. Would still be interested in the noise factor though.