Returning to air cooling after 10 years of custom loop .

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pony-tail

Returning to air cooling after 10 years of custom loop .

Post by pony-tail » Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 pm

I have not posted on here for a long while - Wanting any info I can get on a be quiet !Silent Base 801 ( no tempered glass ) case
I have for the last decade been running custom loop watercooling on my main PC in it's various iterations to keep my PC both cool and quiet.
But I am about to commence a build with air cooling .
The case chosen is a be quiet 801 . The cooler will be a Noctua 120mm ( the new one if it comes out in Australia in time ) or a Dark rock 4 .
The motherboard and CPU are not out yet ( Gen 2 Ryzen and X570)
I have not really bothered much just use the same case and cooling just change the waterblocks for the new build so this will be my first ground up build for , my self in a few years .

Abula

Re: Returning to air cooling after 10 years of custom loop .

Post by Abula » Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

pony-tail wrote:The motherboard and CPU are motherboard out yet ( Gen 2 Ryzen and X570)
Good luck, seems like a great platform to build new, hope other manufactures don't follow MSI fan on the chipset.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat May 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Abula wrote:
pony-tail wrote:The motherboard and CPU are motherboard out yet ( Gen 2 Ryzen and X570)
Good luck, seems like a great platform to build new, hope other manufactures don't follow MSI fan on the chipset.
Saw that , apparently it has to do with certain NVME configurations , Just hope Asus can do a better job .

teodoro

Post by teodoro » Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am

The msi, biostar, and colorful “leaks” all show active chipset cooling. The asus teaser inconveniently skirts on the edge of the chipset heatsink but it could still be there. Reddit comments were hopeful that the fan would be programmed to only kick in when it’s warranted. I’ve never had a motherboard with a chipset fan built in, what can we expect as far as noise?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun May 19, 2019 6:04 am

teodoro wrote:The msi, biostar, and colorful “leaks” all show active chipset cooling. The asus teaser inconveniently skirts on the edge of the chipset heatsink but it could still be there. Reddit comments were hopeful that the fan would be programmed to only kick in when it’s warranted. I’ve never had a motherboard with a chipset fan built in, what can we expect as far as noise?
As with most fans, it depends, the problem with chipset fans is that they are proprietary and small, the small is not a big deal as long as you can keep the rpms with in reason, but i have had motherboards in the past, ABIT KV8 Pro that only the chipset fan dominated the hole build, it was like a mosquito. All in all i don't think we are going back to that era, but poor design might make some motherboards not have such a quiet experience, it will all depend on how it was design, and how much cooling it really needs.

One thing that might or not matter for AMD Zen2 builders, is that Samsung has announced their B-Die memory end of life, this is by far the most compatible memory for Ryzen, one of the few that were able to hit the rated memory specs with XMP/XFR, i do expect 2nd gen to have much better controllers and work better with Hynex and micron chips, but just in case, keep in mind that this memory will disappear from market soon, so i would probably buy it with the build. Hell im even thinking on buying some for a Gen2 TR that wont come until later this year.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sun May 19, 2019 3:50 pm

I am in my 60s now and my priorities have changed a bit .
My reason for my choice of case , is that I want to keep things as simple as possible but as quiet as possible .
be quiet ! case Dark rock4 cpu cooler , a couple of better fans for the front of the case , a quiet psu .
that's 1/2 the job done , CPU , motherboard and ram - an NVMe drive and a couple of SSDs that's about it .
Less than 1/2 the muckaround of a custom loop and a considerable cost saving .

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sun May 19, 2019 8:34 pm

My sound deadening habits:
- I aim for a system that is very quiet in the evening at idle and then it will be "silent" during the day.
- I usually connect all fans to the CPU header with a y-adapter and then the system is quiet for 90+ % of usage time.
- I mount the fan on the CPU tower cooler to pull air through as this is quieter than pushing air at the fins.
- For exhaust fans I use a duct so that the turbulent air coming off the blades has time to moderate before encountering the grill. I cannibalize loud fans to make 25 mm duct sections.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am

Arbutus wrote:My sound deadening habits:
- I aim for a system that is very quiet in the evening at idle and then it will be "silent" during the day.
- I usually connect all fans to the CPU header with a y-adapter and then the system is quiet for 90+ % of usage time.
- I mount the fan on the CPU tower cooler to pull air through as this is quieter than pushing air at the fins.
- For exhaust fans I use a duct so that the turbulent air coming off the blades has time to moderate before encountering the grill. I cannibalize loud fans to make 25 mm duct sections.
Mine are a bit simpler !
Just make PC quiet enough that I can not hear it over my tinnitus . ( result of industrial hearing loss )
I would not know silence if it bit me on the 455 .
That said if there is noise from the pc it effects my ability to hear and comprehend voices ( particularly females and juveniles ) .
So very quiet is good enough for me , do not have to go the extra mile . no point if I can not hear the difference .
just another downside of getting old , It is however better than the alternative .

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm

pony-tail wrote:Saw that , apparently it has to do with certain NVME configurations , Just hope Asus can do a better job .
Seem at least one Asus dont have a fan =), Guru3d ASUS Also Teases Upcoming AMD X570 Motherboards

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:27 am

Abula wrote:
pony-tail wrote:Saw that , apparently it has to do with certain NVME configurations , Just hope Asus can do a better job .
Seem at least one Asus dont have a fan =), Guru3d ASUS Also Teases Upcoming AMD X570 Motherboards
It looks like only the top line Gigabyte board will be fanless , but it is also said to be ( very) expensive .
I have found reviews of this case very thin on the ground , but so far ( without building in it ) it seems like a good case .
CPU and motherboard do not release until 7th of July .