Any update on recent silent cases and their quality?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ozkar

Any update on recent silent cases and their quality?

Post by Ozkar » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:32 am

It's time to replace my old computer. I've always bought Antec cases because of their high quality and focus on silence. Any ideas if Antec is still the best when it comes to silent cases?

Abula

Re: Any update on recent silent cases and their quality?

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:37 am

Antec is still a fine company, the problem with them is they didn't renew much and lots of competitors develop cases with improvements that imo are worth it, like Fractal Design Define cases are to me one of the best, easy to build, lots of cable pass throughs, good area for cable management (something that really troubles me in a lot of antec cases, specially SOLO II).

I personally have moved away from the "quiet case" factor toward more open / less restrictive cases, and it has turn alright, specially since im no longer using mechanical on my main setups. That said, i own a Fractal Design Define R6 and its a really nice case, and what i would recommend to anyone here. Another that i don't own nor have tested, but i feel its a very versatile case is Phanteks P600S. There are lots of choices in the "quiet case" niche, from corsair, nanoxia, coolermaster, bequiet, antec, silverstone, but i would suggest either of the above.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:34 am

Another recommendation for Fractal Design - build quality is the best, and excellent designs, too.

nagi

Post by nagi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:10 am

I got a be quiet silent base 801 for my new rig. It's an interesting idea, but not the best executed.

In the past, I had problems with my Fractal Design Define R4, the worse being way too restricted airflow by the front grille. That seems to be fixed for the R5/6. And my 304 case had partially painted-in standoff screw mounts.

I have similar misgivings with the 801, though it only applies if you use a top-mounted radiator in it. The problem is that it doesn't have the now-usual top exhaust, only a very-very slight ventilation. Another problem is with radiator outflow interfering with the 3,5" bays. It does have some almost-unique things though, like being able to rotate the motherboard-tray to the other side (also makes it turn upside-down).

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm still rocking my Antec mini P180. Although it is showing its age, as are the rest of my PC components. I still like to see see what's new just in case something comes up. Recently, I heard about Corsair's 110Q which looks interesting. But like with others, the intake looks pretty restrictive. Otherwise, the Fractal Define C or Mini C have been on my radar as possible options.

timobkg

Post by timobkg » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Abula wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:37 am
I personally have moved away from the "quiet case" factor toward more open / less restrictive cases, and it has turn alright, specially since im no longer using mechanical on my main setups.
What open / less restrictive cases have you had success with?

I love my Fractal Define R4, but I need to build a new PC and a Define R7 seems overkill for just a CPU, a GPU, and an SSD. I would think there should be something smaller and cheaper that's just as quiet out there.