Thick acoustic damping material

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SomeGuy15

Thick acoustic damping material

Post by SomeGuy15 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:34 pm

I'm buying a new PC very soon with an Antec SX-630III case.

I was thinking of damping the case with something like AcoustiPack but with shipping from the UK (to Australia), it'll cost me US$99!!! Thats way too much for my liking.

Instead I've found a local product called Soundsorber Barrier:
http://www.soundguard.com.au/htdocs/sou ... arrier.htm
Best thing about it is that a 1 square metre sheet (enough for 2 computers) will cost about AU$30 (or US$21)

Like the AcoutiPack, its a composite material but has two layers of acoustic foam instead of 1. This brings the total thickness to 15mm (0.6 inches). The guy I talked to said it could compress down to about 6mm.

Unfortunately this is a lot thicker than AcoustiPack. Is it possible to put this into the Antec case? If so I might just be able to use a (gasp!) WD JB or Raptor!

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:43 am

There are quite a few materials available that are a lot cheaper than AcoustiPack and almost as good.
It comes down to 2 things:

1. How much are you prepared to pay to get that last 1 dB drop in sound?
I put car engineroom absorption mat in on of my boxes. Cost was ~2USD.
I don't expect it to give the same reasults as $50 materials.

2. How much space to you have to put dampening materials in?
In the "free" side (opposite to the motherboard) you usually have loads of space, so that side can fit 15mm in most cases.
The side behind the motherboard is usually quite narrow. In my box I put in 3mm material without problem. You can probably do fine with 5mm, but there was no way to fit 10mm there in my box.

The only general advice is to measure your box before deciding on thickness.