Incredibly Fugly new case at SVC.com

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pcweltz

Incredibly Fugly new case at SVC.com

Post by pcweltz » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:44 pm

http://www.svc.com/bldimiatxcaw.html
http://www.svc.com/grdimiatxcaw.html

120mm rear fan with decent grill
side-mount hdd cage ala Sonata
m/b tray

Combine this with the Cheesiest, most Vile bezel I have ever seen; all for only $159

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:47 pm

That is one ugly computer case! :shock:

Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:11 pm

I don't know what to say about that case. It doesn't strike a chord in me, but I know several who would love to have something other than the standard beige box. (Hence my recent hasty ordering of an X-21 Trinity.)

I like that people are willing to stretch the boundaries of what a case should look like. For example, I find the new Antec p160 absolutely grotesque... nay, hideous, but I can appreciate what they are going for. Look at mini-itx and the creativity involved there. In fact, I'd love to see an increase in the trend toward computer cases that don't look at all like computer cases in the conventional sense... it might engage a hardware shift that in turn might influence an ergonomics shift that might greatly influence the way we cool our dear computer parts... which of course could possibly lead us closer and closer to the ever coveted silence.

Hey, I brought it to topic. Cool. :)

At any rate, it appears that this case is the same one that Gabe @ Penny-Arcade.com mentioned a few days ago:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-12-05
near the bottom of the page

On a slightly related note, y'all should check out what Penny-Arcade is doing with their Child's Play program for the Seattle Children's Hospital. It's quite an undertaking (though I doubt they'll be delievering any Minitaurs.)

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:21 pm

Fry's already has these cases in stock lol

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:39 pm

Anyone still remember Intel's Ottoman PC that looks more like a toilet seat than an ottoman? Personally I think that one gets the prize for really bad design.

Personally I would like a powerful PC the form factor of, say, a USB key drive :-)

Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:09 pm

After googling "Ottoman PC," I have but one thing to say;

That's ... just ... weird.

Give me a beige box... I recind my earlier comments. :wink:

wsc

Post by wsc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:08 pm

Terrible. Just frigging terrible. That is the ugliest thing I think I've seen in quite some time. No degree of silence or air flow could convince me to buy it.

Arkham

Post by Arkham » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:07 am

Winston wrote:That is one ugly computer case! :shock:
For a second there I thought it looked kinda neat...until I realized it looked more like a diabolic turd had been squeezed out onto my screen. I think it's the horns' fault.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:39 am

Gag me with a drive rail! That thing makes hideous look good!