Where is the Son of Sonata?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

DancingBear

Where is the Son of Sonata?

Post by DancingBear » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:22 am

The Sonata is a hit. I love mine. Now I need a second case for a new rig that I will be building. I need a more professional look, and the Sonata fits that perfectly, but I can't see having 2 identical cases side by side. I would like something not black.

My requirement are the same: smallish mid-tower, 120mm case fans, front USB and Firewire, designed for quiet operation.

The Super Lanboy is far too garish and I dont need aluminium. The other Antec cases are too big or too lond or both.

Wouldn't a Sonata line extension prove to be a great seller as well. Maybe a Pearl White Version. I would snap that up in a second.

Anyone have any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:36 am

What? I thought that the sonata did come in piano key white?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:13 am

Any reason you have ruled out the Antec 3700 series? Is the "bronze" too close to black?

Check the Cases and Damping section of the main site for reviews. And these cases get discussed in the forums quite a bit, so try searching.

They are only 1.3" taller, .25" wider, and .6" longer than the Sonata (I only looked at the BQE specs). Pretty much the same size, IMO.

btw, why not have two identical cases side by side?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:29 pm

aphonos wrote:Any reason you have ruled out the Antec 3700 series? Is the "bronze" too close to black?
You forgot to greet him first :-) Welcome to SPCR Forums, DancingBear!
DancingBear wrote:My requirement are the same: smallish mid-tower, 120mm case fans, front USB and Firewire, designed for quiet operation.
Neither the BQE and AMB comes with front firewire, I believe. At least, all the pictures I've seen don't show firewire ports.

Of course, this can easily be solved with that Godzilla-clone firewire hub.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:16 pm

lenny wrote:You forgot to greet him first :-) Welcome to SPCR Forums, DancingBear!
:oops: I need to stop reading so quickly. Missed that DancingBear was a newcomer AND that he specified firewire. :oops:

DancingBear, Welcome to the SPRC Forums! :D

IMO, you're going to have a tricky time finding something that matches all of your specs that is not another Sonata. I assume 120mm exhaust and non-garish looks are non-negotiable. But prehaps I'm wrong. The Evercase 4252 series has a white model with front 1394, but the exhaust fan I saw was 80mm. Are you negotiable on any of your specs? Are some more important that others?

DancingBear

Post by DancingBear » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Eventually I will find a case that meets my specs. I posted mainly out of frustration that Antec had not branched out in such a simple way. Not that I necessarily need a white case, but think of how easy it would be to do a "white Sonata" and how many sales they may have missed because some people just won't do a black case.

While we are at it, anyone using this?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:01 pm

DancingBear -- Hope you have your tin snips, dremel, jigsaw ready. Airflow in that thing looks just terrible.

Ash and Flame

Post by Ash and Flame » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:22 pm

Here is more or less what a White Sonata would look like. I think in reality it would look much nicer than this shoddy digitally altered image. However, after an exhaustive search of the web, I must conclude that the fabled White Whale..err... Sonata does not exist.

AzN jonzOrz

Post by AzN jonzOrz » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:55 pm

i remember one of the first sonata reviews that came out was white...i'll look for the site.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:22 am

AzN jonzOrz wrote:i remember one of the first sonata reviews that came out was white...i'll look for the site.
You'll likely find that it was a pre-production demo model.

Antec Rep, are you reading this?......looks like there may be some call for a white Sonata. Though matching CD/DVD/FDD faceplates to a white piano finish would be a trick. Maybe the black optical drives would look cool in the white case??

I think if anyone wants a white Sonata at this point, you've got a lot of sanding, priming, painting and finishing ahead of you.

(Watch, now someone will post a link to a white Sonata retailer and I'll look like an idiot (again) :lol: )

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:54 am

AzN jonzOrz wrote:i remember one of the first sonata reviews that came out was white...i'll look for the site.
Well you won't have to look far.

It was MikeC's review right here at SPCR! :)

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:57 am

http://www.antec-inc.com/us/info_suggestionForm.php

Put the request in there. Why? Cause the people who deal with new products read it, that's why.

And while a color change sounds simple making it look right is another ball of wax. Even the samples of the Pearl Sonata, didn't quite look right (like the panels were all different shades of white).

AntecRep

DancingBear

Post by DancingBear » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:23 am

Looks like my idea isn't original. I sent the suggestion. Any of those white pearl samples still floating around?

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:46 pm

Not that I'm aware of.

AntecRep

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:50 am

AntecRep wrote:Not that I'm aware of.

AntecRep
Nice to see an Antec rep responding here.