Need a case for an overclocked 3.2 GHz P4

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

cmcquistion

Need a case for an overclocked 3.2 GHz P4

Post by cmcquistion » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:06 pm

I'm building a system for a friend and I need advice for a case for this P4 system.

Generally, I use the Evercase 4252, but I know the 3.2 GHz P4 is a REALLY HOT CPU, so I assume it has specific case needs. I think I remember that Intel only recommends cases with CPU fan ducts for CPU's above 2.8-3.0 (somewhere in there.)

Can anyone give me some advice. I have to order parts REALLY soon, so I need quick advice. I could go for the Evercase 4252 with fan duct, but I'm leaning toward the Compucase LX-6A19 (generic SLK3700) with 120mm exhaust fan (undervolted.)

Any other case suggestions are welcome. These are just my two favorite cases.

*EDIT* I also need advice on Heatsinks. Does anyone know if the stock heatsink is very quiet? I assume it probably isn't. I'm thinking about the SLK-947 or SLK-900 or Zalman 7000 AlCU. How well does the Zalman hold onto the board? I definitely need something that bolts on to the board and holds well. I have to ship this computer to California (from Tennessee). Bolt-on is preferred.

I generally build AMD-based systems, so I'm not too knowledgable about the best-of-the-best P4 equipment.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:39 pm

I don't think you'll have problems in either case. My 2.4c takes a 30% overclock with 1.6V just fine in both a Lian-Li PC-60 (old one without top fan) and a Chenbro Genie. The stock HSF is an okay cooler, but too noisy. The Zalman 7000 AlCu attaches securely to the P4's retention frame and offers exceptional cooling for the money and noise.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:14 am

I recommend a Zalman 7000 with a BQE case. Both have proven to be awesome products and good value for money to boot.

My system (see sig) tops out at around 52-53c under heavy load (12 hours prime95) and it's silent.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:04 am

Either case will do fine and no CPU duct is required. My personal preference would be for one of the SLK3700's or it's clones as I'm a big fan of the slow-120mm theory of case cooling but that Evercase has real good airflow too. One more reason I'd choose a 3700 variant over the Evercase is that they are a higher quality case. The construction of the Evercases is a little cheaper than the 3700's. This is a non-performance oriented area though, performance-wise, go with either and you'll be fine.

The P4 3.0 in my gaming rig lives in a 3700AMB with no case airflow but a 5V 120mm Panaflo L1A as an exhaust fan and an 8V 92mm L1A as a CPU fan on an SLK900. It's max (2xPrime95) load temps (during the summer with 95°F ambient temps) is 57-59°C so you should be just fine with a 3.2 in a similar configuration.

The stock Intel 3.2 HSF is quite noisy and not at all suitable for a quiet PC. All the 3.0+ hybrid copper/aluminum Intel HSFs are noticeably louder than the earlier all-aluminum versions.

As far as heatsinks go, the Zalman7000 is a great performer but it utilizes the stock plastic Intel retention bracket so it's not as securely attached as one of the bolt-through methods. I'd recommend the Thermalright SP-94 heatsink along with a 92mm Panaflo L1A on a Zalman Fanmate or some other method of fan control. This is the best performing bolt-on heatsink you can buy and is a perfect match for the 3.2 CPU.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:19 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I had to order something quick, so I ordered the Compucase LS-6A19. It is very similar to the Antec SLK-3700, except it has a much better bezel design, it is white, and it has no door. (I've got two of these cases and I LOVE them!)

I also ordered the Zalman 7000A AlCu. If it doesn't feel sturdy enough, I'll send it back for a bolt-on. I was attracted to its relatively low price, considering its excellent reputation and it comes with a fan-mate. I considered some of thermalright's bolt-on's, but their weight bothered me. They are all 570-590 grams, compared to Zalman's 445 grams. Intel recommends a maximum weight of 450 grams. If this were my home system, I wouldn't worry, but since it has to be mailed, I'm a little concerned about it being too heavy and damaging the board or CPU. On the other hand, I need to worry about Zalman's retention mechanism and whether it can hold the heatsink securely, through the mail.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:53 am

cmcquistion wrote:On the other hand, I need to worry about Zalman's retention mechanism and whether it can hold the heatsink securely, through the mail.
Is the person you're building the system for experienced enough to install the 7000AlCu themselves? You could built it and test it, then remove the HSF, clean off the CPU and reapply the TIM and ship it with the HSF packaged separately to be (re)installed at it's final destination.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:54 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
cmcquistion wrote:On the other hand, I need to worry about Zalman's retention mechanism and whether it can hold the heatsink securely, through the mail.
Is the person you're building the system for experienced enough to install the 7000AlCu themselves? You could built it and test it, then remove the HSF, clean off the CPU and reapply the TIM and ship it with the HSF packaged separately to be (re)installed at it's final destination.
Yeah, I think so. I'll run it by him to make sure, but that is probably the best solution.

I'd thought about that before, but decided it would be nicer if he could switch the machine on, right out of the box. I may change my mind, though.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:44 am

Re - the Zalman 7000: If you wanted to go this far, I think it would not be hard to take those 2 aluminum bars used in the mounting system and mod then for a real bolt-through solution.

Just have to drill 2 holes -- correctly spaced at both ends of the aluminum bars. Remove the plastic P4 HS retention bracket from the motherboard. Affix the alumbinum bards securely with 4 screws/bolts through the board. You may need to have a bit of rubber insulation or something... Then screw the 7000alcu on to the secured aluminum bards with the 2 screws supplied.

This would mean you don't have to rely on the plastic HS retention bracket. Which might be strong enough anyway.

Maybe just wedging a somewhat hard large piece of foam between the HS and the left side cover is enough to keep it same in transit...

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:50 pm

MikeC wrote:Re - the Zalman 7000: If you wanted to go this far, I think it would not be hard to take those 2 aluminum bars used in the mounting system and mod then for a real bolt-through solution.

Just have to drill 2 holes -- correctly spaced at both ends of the aluminum bars. Remove the plastic P4 HS retention bracket from the motherboard. Affix the alumbinum bards securely with 4 screws/bolts through the board. You may need to have a bit of rubber insulation or something... Then screw the 7000alcu on to the secured aluminum bards with the 2 screws supplied.

This would mean you don't have to rely on the plastic HS retention bracket. Which might be strong enough anyway.

Maybe just wedging a somewhat hard large piece of foam between the HS and the left side cover is enough to keep it same in transit...
Thanks, Mike. I'll take a look at it, when it gets here, and see about that mod.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:42 pm

Good choice on the CompuCase LX-6A19. Because the best airflow is important to you, the Antec BQE would not have been the best for you since the front drive cages hinder air flow.

And you just can't beat the $39 price tag at Directron.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:52 pm

Katana Man wrote:Good choice on the CompuCase LX-6A19. Because the best airflow is important to you, the Antec BQE would not have been the best for you since the front drive cages hinder air flow.

And you just can't beat the $39 price tag at Directron.
Doh! I just paid about $17 more (after shipping) to get it from Axion Technologies! Axion Tech sells it with a PSU, but I replace the PSU, anyway.

Oh well. I'll probably be ordering another one in about a week. I'll be sure to get it from Directron, instead.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:57 pm

Hehe, don't worry about it :) I've ordered 2 from Axion as well. Directron often sells out on the LX-6A19. They've just recently come back in stock at Directron. I ordered a spare just in case (no pun intended).

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:09 pm

About the physical stability of the 7000 - I have a 7000A-Cu mounted on a socket A/462 and you'd be surprised how solidly it's attached to the motherboard. I honestly think the 7000A-AlCu will be no problem whatsoever.