Looking for a case with these features...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ozkar

Looking for a case with these features...

Post by Ozkar » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:49 pm

I'm building a PC, with a D875PBZ Intel Motherboard and a P4 3.2 GHZ processor. I need a case with the following (or similar) features:

-Mid-tower case (black preferred) with a clear side panel
-Front USB and FireWire connections
-Power Supply is optional
-5 available fan slots arranged like this (fans need not be included):

-One 92mm or 120mm fan on side panel
-One 92mm or 120mm fan on top of the case
-One 92mm or 120mm fan on the front
-One or two 80mm (or 92mm if possible) on the rear

So far, the only case that I have found so far that comes close to what I want is the Enermax WD Black Computer case: http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=CSEX5171BFSB
However, most fans are 80mm. I prefer 92mm or 120mm fans over the 80mm fans because of the noise factor.

I'm not an expert when it comes to cases, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

chylld

Re: Looking for a case with these features...

Post by chylld » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:27 pm

Ozkar wrote:-One 92mm or 120mm fan on side panel
-One 92mm or 120mm fan on top of the case
-One 92mm or 120mm fan on the front
-One or two 80mm (or 92mm if possible) on the rear
I think a psycho case like that (4 case fans!?!?) is out of place in these forums. We pride ourselves on focusing on airflow issues to get adequate airflow from just a single case fan, or none at all. Extra fans generate more noise and as has been proven, are unnecessary for adequate cooling. If simply whacking more fans on is your solution to airflow problems, then perhaps you should spend some more time tackling your airflow problems at their sources rather than carelessly bunging on fan after fan after fan.

btw, welcome to SPCR!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Hi, Ozkar. Welcome to SPCR forums.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call 4 case fans "psycho" :-) I would have to say that most regulars of this forum don't pay much attention to fans like that. Reason, as chylld has pointed out, is because it is hard to make such a beast quiet.

I have not noticed any cases with a 92mm or 120mm top blowhole, but I'd be the first to admit I'm no oracle when it comes to cases.

When it comes to airflow, more fans does not make it cooler. It might just be creating more turbulence and not cooling the components effectively.

There's a thread that Ralf Hutter started, with a link to another site where some folks who created a monster with tons of case fans (>1700 cfm) started disabling fans to find the most effective combination of fans. The results may be interesting to you.

As for top blowholes, I've always thought that they should be effective for cooling (hot air rises, after all) but I've never owned a case with one. MikeC (site owner) has pointed out several times that a top blowhole will place a fan with a direct path for noise to the user, if the case is placed on the floor.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:49 pm

The big problem with the case you point out is that the grills are so obstructive they probably block 60% or more of the potential airflow.

A system around a hot CPU like the P4-3.2 probably benefits -- maybe even needs -- a side inflow duct directly over the CPU HSF. But like chylld already said, a large # of fans does not = good airflow. A couple of well placed, well directed fans in a case well designed for low impedance airflow is enough to handle super hot systems.

Check out the Case reviews, recommended cases and the DIY systems section on the main site -- plus the galleries and case forums.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:02 pm

Thank you for your comments. The thing is, i'm new to all this airflow and cooling stuff. I've built a couple of PC's before, but I never worried about airflow or noise. Now that i'm building a high-end system, I want to make sure that it works fine without overheating. I don't want too much noise either (that's why I wanted larger fans). Basically, the case I want has all the features above, but if you have a better suggestion for where the fans should be located, what kind of fans, and how many I really need, I would appreciate your advice. I've looked all over the forums and FAQs but in my opinion, the amount of information and disagreement out there is overwhelming.

BTW, I wasn't planning on having all those fans running all the time, just when they are really needed (I work with a lot of CPU-and-HD-intensive software, plus the occasional game, and no overclocking) The motherboard comes with a program that lets me turn the fans on and off, so my purpose was to use the fans as needed. However, i'm not an expert and i'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

P.S. I'm going to check out the thread that lenny recommended, and maybe that will help. Thanks a lot.

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:17 pm

If you're not overclocking, then pretty much ANY case with a rear 120mm fan will do you fine.

Have a look at the Chenbro Xpider / Gaming Bomb case, that could be what you want - it's mostly black, with a window in the side

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:02 pm

The Antec 3700BQE, Evercase 4252 w/120mm back panel vent -- these are my top choises for no-mod quiet cases.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:57 am

Your P4 3.2 will run perfectly cool in anything like the 3700AMB or BQE, or the Evercase or Chenbro that have been mentioned. You definitely don't need to go overboard with fans to keep those cool.

The system in my sig ("system 2") is running a P4 3.0 in an SLK3700AMB with only one 120mm Panaflo L1A case fan and it's running at only 5V. There's a post about it here and some slightly out of date pics of it here.

I just helped a friend build a system based around an 875PBZ + P4 3.2 + 3700BQE and he's running very cool using only the stock Antec cooling fan undervolted to around 6V as his only case fan.

If you're looking for a case with a window, you can get a black version of the 3700AMB a custom window from Coolcases.com.

If you're looking for a case with built in Firewire on front, that limits you a bunch. One of the few black cases with 120mm fans and front Firewire is the Antec Sonata, but as far as I know, there's no window available for it. You'd have to mod it yourself to install a window.

The bottom line here is that you can easily run your proposed system in a case with one or two low speed fans and it will stay perfectly cool.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:15 am

chylld wrote:Have a look at the Chenbro Xpider / Gaming Bomb case, that could be what you want - it's mostly black, with a window in the side
I like that case. The only problem with this case is that it seems to obstruct cd-rom and dvd-rom drives. I have a sony dvd-burner, which does not have a flat face, so it might not fit in this case. The case also has 2 hidden 3.5'' bays, which is not enough for me, although i can get an extra cage for hard drives. Otherwise, that case looks good. I especially liked the fan grills, which don't seem to be too obstructive. If I don't find a better case, i might get this one. But if you guys have a good recommendation for a black case, with side window, and 2x120mm fans (front and rear with little grill obstruction), please let me know. (sometimes i think i'm asking for too much!)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:55 am

Ozkar wrote:But if you guys have a good recommendation for a black case, with side window, and 2x120mm fans (front and rear with little grill obstruction), please let me know. (sometimes i think i'm asking for too much!)
I just recommended a black case with a window and 120mm fans in the post right above yours. Look at the link for "Coolcases.com". The case I linked is the "6A19". You can get it in black or beige with 2 different window configurations, and you can have the grills punched out as well. It comes about as close to your requirements as anything I know of.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:36 pm

Ozkar wrote:
chylld wrote:Have a look at the Chenbro Xpider / Gaming Bomb case, that could be what you want - it's mostly black, with a window in the side
I like that case. The only problem with this case is that it seems to obstruct cd-rom and dvd-rom drives. I have a sony dvd-burner, which does not have a flat face, so it might not fit in this case. The case also has 2 hidden 3.5'' bays, which is not enough for me, although i can get an extra cage for hard drives. Otherwise, that case looks good.
It does not obstruct anything, just set up so the 5" drives are inset just a bit and the faceplate is framed by the bezel. Works fine with any ordinary cd/dvd drive. Also, an extra HDD cage is available -- plus, the space below the standard HDD rack is perfect for using Aphonos' HDD suspension technique.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:54 pm

I need to install the Sony DRU-510A DVD burner and the front adapter that comes with the Audigy 2 ZS sound card in my new case. However, those two items have a front face which is not flat, and even though I might be able to install them in the Chenbro Xpider case, they probably don't fit correctly. I might be wrong, so if any of you have the Chenbro Xpider case with the Sony DRU-510A DVD burner, or the Audigy 2 ZS adapter installed, please let me know.

For those of you who don't know what these two products look like, here are two links:

http://www.accupc.com/images/thumbnail/ ... /index.htm

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Au ... allery.asp

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:45 pm

I think i'm gonna go with the Antec 3700BQE. It seem appropriate for my system, since i'm not going to overclock anything. I would have wanted a case with a nice window, but i guess it's not really a big priority. Thanks to everyone who helped me choose.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:07 pm

You can always put a window in it later, it's not terribly difficult. Just don't put a window in the side panel if you plan to stick acoustic dampening material to it :) It'll look quite ugly.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:28 pm

I'm going to build the PC, and depending on the noise and temperatures, i'll do modifications as needed, even though i'm not a big fan of modding.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:34 pm

Not yet. :)

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:53 pm

I shall put in my 2 cents even though you have already made your decision by the looks of things - I know of a case that has side window space for 2*120mm fans and has the firewire and usb in the front. Although it is cheaper and may not be as accoustically sound as the antec cases :cry: I also know of another case that has the usb and it hsa built in fan control with 2 120mm fans but no firewire.

I will give you the links to both cause I am so nice :twisted: and I shall also mention that I am getting the second one and will tell you if it is any good in a week or so after it has arrived... :lol:

http://www.3rsystem.co.kr/english/produ ... nlight.asp - Side window, Usb, Firewire, Space for Fans (not really black though)

http://www.3rsystem.co.kr/english/product/case/air.asp - Side Window, Usb, Irda (infra red), 2*120mm fans with speed control.

The second case is also made by a company called Ahanix and is identical by what I could tell - if you can't find the 3R case here is the link to the Ahanix Case

http://www.ahanix.com/dbox.html

End Rant :oops: :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:13 pm

dbox has a rear 80mm fan and front 120mm fan

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Genesis wrote:I shall also mention that I am getting the second one and will tell you if it is any good in a week or so after it has arrived... :lol:

http://www.3rsystem.co.kr/english/produ ... nlight.asp - Side window, Usb, Firewire, Space for Fans (not really black though)

http://www.3rsystem.co.kr/english/product/case/air.asp - Side Window, Usb, Irda (infra red), 2*120mm fans with speed control.
Thanks for your comment. I'll check out the cases u suggested. I'm going to wait a few days before buying my case because i might find a better one. The FireWire and USB ports are not essential, so if i find a really good black (maybe silver) case, with a nice window, and good ventilation with only 2 120mm fans, i'll get it. The Antec 3700BQE looks good and has nice ventilation, but i still don't like the position of the hard drives and the location of the front fan (outside the case). However, that's my top choice right now. The Chenbro Xpider is a little bit too flashy, and I don't like the way the front bezel blocks the corners of the cd-drives, although the side window is pretty cool. That is my second choice. I'm still hearing suggestions for a few days.

BTW, what the hell was I thinking a few days ago??? 5 FANS????? :shock:

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:32 pm

Well I got my 3R Systems Air Case and was impressed with it right up until I looked at how many loose wires were in side :cry: . Of course I will start off with the Benefits for this case.

400w Power supply :wink: even comes with built in 120mm Fan

3 Temperature Probes, Although my system is running rather hot at the moment they are more accurate than the Bios on my Mobo.
120mm Front case fan and 80mm Rear case fan with room for 120mm.

Pretty Colour :roll: (silver case) has a dark (charcoal) black/grey body with a very nice silver front panel with 2 Stealth Driver covers attached and a spare inside.

Comes with plastic container with dividers for screws and spare parts, even came with a 3R Screwdriver with magnetic tip.

Now for the Bad parts. :oops:

Mother board is installed on to ugly and hard to mount clips. instead of screwed feet.

Power Cables from PSU have 2 small cable ties close to plugs to hold the wires so the majority of the cables float around and will need to be tied up or wrapped for improved look and ventilation.

Front USB cables are all individual pins so you have to take extra special care when pluging into Mobo.

Internal PCB Fan Controller requires 12v Molex and has no pass through so you either have to get a Y connector or be a plug short.

Apart From That it is a very good case and when fans are on lowest setting is nice and quiet - assuming you have a quiet CPU Cooler, etc.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:12 am

why do cases still have that turbo button? I have not heard of any use for it since the XT days. My 286 had two processor speeds to select from, 8-12mHz (I always kept it highest, but it might have been useful for game compatibility). Is there any use for it today?

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:28 am

my mates case has a turbo button on it for his fan speed - his fans either run at about 8v and when he pushes turbo button it puts them upto 12v...

I dunno about other cases although I would expect it to be something similar (my mate owns a 3R Systems Neon Light Case)