Fan mounting using cable ties?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

moving shadow

Fan mounting using cable ties?

Post by moving shadow » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:09 pm

In the next week or so im going to be building my new quietPC. Im using an Antec 3700AMB case, which i have already cut out the fan grills and removed the Antec fan mounting brackets.

As the antec case has a stupid mounting system which requires new mounting holes to be drilled if you dont use it, i was going to drill some new mounting holes and add some rubber grommets then just mount my new 120mm panaflo's with regular bolts.

..and then i had a bit of an idea, the fans are going to be on 3mm sorbathane gaskets, so will not be hard mounted to the case, so could i just use cable ties to hold the fans to the case? As this would mean i wouldnt have to a) drill tricky new mounting holes, just a few tiny holes for the cable tie to pass back thru the frame b)piss about fitting grommets and c)erm...ok theres just a and b :D

Anyone find any flaws, vibration issues etc, in this plan? Or should i stop being such a tightass and get some of those fan isolators :wink:

..oh and on a sidenote Antec really suck for not using normal fan mounting in the first place :?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:11 pm

I have my fan mounted with cable ties, they dont rattle, seems to work good.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:28 pm

Cable ties are a bit hard to dampen vibrations much, so they should not be as good as any kind of rubber mounting. Perhaps they will be good enough to remove any noticable vibrations from your fan, perhaps not.

If you later on decide you want to drill the holes anyway you will have to pick everything out of the box (lots of work). Drilling the holes before anything is in the box is little work. So in your shoes I would drill the hole now even if you don't plan to use them right away.

tay
Friend of SPCR

use foam to mount

Post by tay » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:43 pm

remove the antec brackets and use 0.5inchx0.5inchx1.5inch foam blocks to mount your fans. Simply compress the foam through the holes necessary. Works almost as well as rubber mounts i think.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =66&page=1

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: use foam to mount

Post by powergyoza » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:10 am

tay wrote:use 0.5inchx0.5inchx1.5inch foam blocks...
Took the words right out of my mouth. Just to follow up, it's been a year since I've installed the foam plugs and they're holding up fine.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:39 am

i used to hang an 80L with a single cable tie in front of my bqe's front grill. there were no problems whatsoever.