Who's Watercooled? Case Recommednations...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Lord09

Who's Watercooled? Case Recommednations...

Post by Lord09 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:54 am

I'm trying to setup quiet watercooling setup and have all the WC stuff. I was just wondering what cases everyone has been using?

I really want a Coolermaster or Lian Li case, but it looks like neither can accomdate a heatercore. It looks like the 3700AMB might be able to squeeze one if I remove the bottom drive cage...

I looked at the P160 today and it looks like I can't fit one in there either unless, I hack it up....

Thanks all, any recommednations would be appreciated...

DP

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:14 pm

People are probably getting tired of seeing me say this - but have you looked at a 'server-cube' style case? They aren't tremendously portable, but they can give you huge numbers of bays, and excellent accomodations for WC gear.

I have an AMD1060BK server cube case that I got from Servercase.com. It has an ideal place for putting a rad, and lots of room for other cooling gear. It is very well made and I think worth it's rather high cost.

Gooserider

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:25 pm

My radiator is outside the case so there is not a need for good airflow inside of the case for me.

Lord09

Post by Lord09 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:33 pm

I'm actually considering a yeong yang black cube case, pricey, but not too outrageous...

Anyone have experience with these cases?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:49 am

Watercooling worked pretty well in my sonata. The 120mm rad for the Waterchill fits the rear fan perfectly.

Edit: Just re-read your post and see you mentioned a heatercore. Anyway, here's the link.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:40 am

I have a Yeong Yang cube case. I do not have it watercooled yet. What questions do you have?

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:14 pm

I haven't had a YY Cube in my possession to examine, but I read a couple reviews on it (there is a review and an article on WCing it over on ProCooling) and looked at it quite closely before choosing my AMD CK110B case. The AMD is slightly more expensive, but IMHO it's a much better case.
1. Slightly larger, with more bays.
2. Mobo chamber is larger, giving space to mount rad in front of case. The person doing the WC install in the article mentioned above had to sacrifice drive bays to make room for cooling gear - I won't need to.
3. EXCELLENT mobo tray, plus more knockouts for extra connectors. (You won't need to use slot blanks for extra connectors or pass throughs...)

However both cases looked quite suitable.

Gooserider

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:22 am

3700 BQE! if you want maximum performance/silencing. Its slightly bigger than the sonata so everything fits nicely and not too crampt. Ive modded out the front drive cage on mine, works a treat!!! Im about to do a few more mods too like take out the grills and build a shroud for the front of the case covering the entire radiator too.

Its a sweet case to mod and silence.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:03 pm

Seal, if you pull the drive bays, I can't see why you don't recommend the 3700AMB instead.

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:43 pm

lol HammerSandwich has a good point :) esp since you're going to cut out the grills anyway. (which shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do - why haven't you done it yet u lazy bum? :) )

Seal

Post by Seal » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:06 am

HammerSandwich wrote:Seal, if you pull the drive bays, I can't see why you don't recommend the 3700AMB instead.
I do reccomend the AMB, its basically the same case. I think the BQE looks nicer though because its black but thats just me! If you have the old style restrictive fan grills in the AMB remember to cut them out. I have the honeycomb style grills in my BQE and have still cut them out.