Practicallity of a case side fan?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

archangel

Practicallity of a case side fan?

Post by archangel » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:45 pm

It would appear for the "average" gaming/general purpose system (in my case a P4@2GHz, two Seagate 10K LVD drives and a GeForce 4600 card) most likely a balance of cooling and acustics can be struck through the use of a quiet power supply, quiet CPU fan and quiet rear case exhaust fan.

As I have read, this will set up a tunneling efffect, drawing air in from the front of the case, exiting out the PS and case rear.

Now for my question. If I purchase a case with a side panel fan, would I really want to use it? It seems that this would more than likely disturb the intented air flow pattern within the case. If I did use it, should it blow in (my guess) or blow out?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:50 pm

Not sure which way you would want to point it, but I think your first assumption is the correct one: no good can come from those side panel fans, unless you absolutely need directed air over something like a VGA card. I would limit it to a 5V panaflo L1A max. Problem is the fan is so close to the outside of teh case, the noise goes right out the side.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:27 am

I totally agree with miker's summary. I think he nailed it.

I wouldn't waste your money buying a case with a side fan.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:55 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:I totally agree with miker's summary. I think he nailed it.

I wouldn't waste your money buying a case with a side fan.
There are some Evercase models (such as the Evercase ECE4252) that have a side fan opening. These cases have very good airflow at a modest price, and are listed at the top of SPCR's Recommended Cases page. Ideally, one would tape over the opening to optimize airflow and reduce noise.