Akasa pax-mate acoustic absorption mats

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

lightforce

Akasa pax-mate acoustic absorption mats

Post by lightforce » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:22 pm

im planning on getting a Compucase Miditower CI-6A21 300W Silent/Antec SLK3700AMB case.

would putting Akasa pax.mate acoustic absorption mats inside make a difference? the mats are only $30

lightforce

Post by lightforce » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:33 pm

Oops, I did find some info on this using the searchfunction. Sorry.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:38 am

lightforce wrote:Oops, I did find some info on this using the searchfunction. Sorry.
Hopefully the info you found showed you that this stuff is basically worthless. :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:31 am

I beg to differ...I think the problem is with the measurement of small sound reductions. If you think a few sheets on large panels will really quiet your computer a large amount, you'll probably be disappointed.

However, this stuff can be used many ways..... for sound reduction on panels, for covering most hard surfaces to prevent sound reflection, for sealing small cracks around ports and cards, as insulation between fans and their mount points. The list is endless.

This stuff is sold under several brand names. It can be found for as little as $10 a box. It's thin enough to cover curved surfaces, and is easily applied with a sticky back.

The point is that it's useful stuff. Applied sufficiently inside your case, it will make your dampening efforts easier, and your end result quieter. As with most projects, you have to work at it to achieve success. Combine this stuff with some really expensive foam dampening will give you a quiet computer.....if the rest of your hardware is up to it. But that's another story.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:59 am

Bluefront wrote:I beg to differ...
That's cool, you have experience with it, I don't but I was going by this:
Our Esteemed Leader and Benevolent Ruler wrote:The Akasa Paxmate is far too light, way too thin and has too low a density to meet any of the criteria set above. Its total area coverage is the only way that it passes -- just barely, but it is a minor 1 out of 4. It is simply not worthy of a serious look. It also smells terrible, although one user mentioned it seemed to go away after a few days. It is unlikely that applying this product could have any significant impact on the noise of any PC in any case. Anyone with the least bit of understanding of acoustic damping will come to that conclusion in a 30-second examination. Not recommended.
Taken from here.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:19 am

Take a look at this picture. It's a hard plastic duct over my cpu. It has a rounded surface with multiple curves.

I am a firm believer in removing/covering as many hard surfaces inside your case as possible (that very necessary window aside :) ). This lessens sound reflection. This foam may not be the best possible, but what other stuff is up to this project?

Since it's so cheap, I say try it out....you can always pull it off easily. And it may surprise you with it's effectiveness.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:30 am

I've got some PaxMate in my old Aopeon HX08 tower case. It does make a slight difference but the difference it makes is very small. It tends to change the tone of the sound (from high pitched to duller pitched) rather than the actual volume. The change in tone / frequency makes the fan noise more bearable but if your fans are making such racket, you'd be better off changing the fans or undervolting them. It also reduces case vibration (depending on how the panels on your case slide / hinge together) because it tends to 'wedge up' against the edges. And yes, they smell bad, and yes, the smells goes away after a few days.

Put it this way - its better having PaxMate than not having PaxMate but don't expect significant or spectacular results.

The downside is that case temperatures do increase (anything from 2 degreesC to 5 degreesC). If quietness is your goal, try quitening the noise making components or getting some Acoustipac deluxe which is about 3x more expensive but apparently (I haven't tried it) much more effective.

Downside

Post by Downside » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:01 am

I've found it's effective at stopping resonance from the side panels in al cases. But it's not much for stoping sound waves, too thin and light.

It also works pretty well as a gasket material, easy to trim to size, and compreses easy enough to use in places other soundprofing won't fit.

One particular use I've found for it is to cut a piece to fit behind the front bezel on cases. It seals the front of the case, except where you cut openings for airflow, stops some vibration, and gives you a small amount of sound reduction.

maarten

Post by maarten » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:43 am

Go with Acoustipack Deluxe, you won't be disappointed... I have it installed for a week now and it really helps... it's worth it's price.

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:50 am

Interesting. Every review of this product I've seen has been mildly positive to positive. Silent PC Review is the one exception, and it in fact was not tested; only an opinion was given. Consequently, it gets a knee-jerk bad rap all over the forums.

I think it may be more effective than Mike gives it credit for. Or perhaps we're easier satisfied with marginal noise-damping improvements than he thought we'd be.
Our Esteemed Leader and Benevolent Ruler wrote:
The Akasa Paxmate is far too light, way too thin and has too low a density to meet any of the criteria set above. Its total area coverage is the only way that it passes -- just barely, but it is a minor 1 out of 4. It is simply not worthy of a serious look. It also smells terrible, although one user mentioned it seemed to go away after a few days. It is unlikely that applying this product could have any significant impact on the noise of any PC in any case. Anyone with the least bit of understanding of acoustic damping will come to that conclusion in a 30-second examination. Not recommended.