Why is Team SPCR dying? (NOT!)

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zuperdee

Why is Team SPCR dying? (NOT!)

Post by zuperdee » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:18 pm

What's wrong with this picture?!? WILL SOMEONE TELL MY WHY TEAM SPCR IS DYING? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:20 pm

Why, I'll tell you what's wrong with that picture. It's a document with a red X, indicating that the image link is invalid.

isp

Post by isp » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:22 pm

Hey I just joined, and I'm going to be a pretty good folder! :D

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:52 pm

wumpus wrote:Why, I'll tell you what's wrong with that picture. It's a document with a red X, indicating that the image link is invalid.
Eh, it shouldn't be invalid--try again!! Here's the link if it still doesn't work:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=31574

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:31 pm

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:36 pm

We're about 800 pts ahead as of 21:14 pst according to Stanford Stats. :)

Looking at the the EOC graph, out production has dropped about 2,500 to 3,000 ppd since roughly this time last month. Not good. :(

So, the only solution is to attract more members. On a more positive note, when I started folding for SPCR, it was considered a big deal when we got to 70k ppw. Now, we post that many points in less than 3 days, so great progress has been made by everyone. (Some SPCR members have made a huge contribution in time and others a large contribution in $ towards the folding effort. Some have done both.)

So, the solution? How 'bout some fresh ideas to attract new folders? Also, what, if anything buggs/bothers you about our folding efforts? Please be polite and considerate of others, however.

Anyone?

M

isp

Post by isp » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:59 pm

Perhaps a contest drawing for new members that join every month? Shrug.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Ok, so that's a good start. Other suggestions? :)

M

(gotta go and check eoc and stanford stats!)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:14 pm

The graphs for the following teams ahead of us look a lot the same:
  • 15 General [M]ayhem
  • 16 Sudhian
  • 17 SAGoons
  • 18 SpeedGuide
  • 19 MacRumours
  • 20 Futuremark
It could be a real decline, and it may be at least partially related to the projects over the past month. Of course, there are a couple of teams bucking the trend, Mac OSX of course, but also EOC.

It's definitely true that our active folders number is down. It was up to 182 or 183, and is now down to 170.

One contribution to this decline has been reduced output from ARM Systems, who have gone from 3200 PPW to 1000. BTW, I am not concerned about this drop, and neither should anyone else. I expect their production will head back up within a week or two.

Looking at the New Users In Past 7 Day it's clear that we aren't drawing the numbers of new members we were. I find this notable, even worrisom, but not outright alarming. It's springtime, and people's focus is changing from what it was a month ago.

I don't want to "stick my head in the sand" either, so I'm open to other views.

David

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:38 pm

haysdb wrote:Of course, there are a couple of teams bucking the trend, Mac OSX of course, but also EOC.
And I think I see a connection here: both were teams we once passed!! And in both of these cases, the teams seemed to begin rallying and ramping up their production, angry that we'd passed them. I suspect EOC in particular probably got angry at the thought that the "silence" crowd could beat a team that OVERclocks. Yeah, let's face it: My bet is that people who read SPCR are more likely to UNDERclock and UNDERvolt, in the interests of cooler and quieter running machines. :wink:

I'll admit, part of the reason I am folding for SPCR, and why I care about this team so much is that it makes the cause of Silent Computing look really popular when people see our rank in the Folding@Home project. I suspect maybe subjects like overclocking and MacOSX are more "cool" and "hip" than silence, but that can be countered with marketing. Maybe we need to find some way to get our general message of Silent Computing out there, so more people will be tempted to become regular SPCR readers, and then become interested in folding for us. :twisted:

I don't overclock OR underclock either--my CPU runs at totally stock speed--all my computer specs are in my profile, in case anyone wants to duplicate my quiet setup. :D

hatr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hatr » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:00 pm

mas92264 wrote: So, the solution? How 'bout some fresh ideas to attract new folders? Also, what, if anything buggs/bothers you about our folding efforts?
Anyone?
As a rookie folder, these are things I noticed while getting started:

1. Ease of installing and running the FAH program. For me, this part went pretty smoothly. There seems to be a lot of info about how to do this.

2. What flags to use. I have an Athlon Thunderbird, and while there are many instructions about what flags to use for the newer CPU's, I had to sniff around a little to figure out what flags to use for my CPU.

3. How to run FAH as a service. Since I got FAH running as a service, my points are about double what they were. I would not have gotten this part done without the recent sticky's by haysdb. Some of us who don't like to play with the registry, or who don't have much time, really benefit when the veterans simplify & summarize these things.

4. Tinker point restructuring. Now that the tinkers are worth more, I don't feel (as much) that my old CPU is useless to the effort. Maybe we can scare up some people with older AMD's now that they can pull more weight.

In summary, I think the recent sticky's have already helped and will continue to help. Now if we can convince everyone that their contribution is important. Sometimes I'm not convinced that my effort is worthwhile when there are people racking up 1000 - 5000 points each week. (This is not intended to demean the competetive spirit inherent in some of the posts.)

Is anybody still awake? I'll sit down now.

Rich

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:07 pm

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:33 pm

Good post Rich/hatr. That's exactly how eoc is catching us now, more smaller folders regularly posting points every week, like you and over a hundred other SPCR folders. It may seem trite, but everyone counts although it's hard for everyone to get noticed.

We need to work on what you mentioned in your comments, Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sheesh. I'm hitting the rack.

(BTW the Vietnam Memorial Moving wall is here in town this week. I went to see it today and it was impressive, to say the least. The group that puts this on really deserves a lot of credit.)

M

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:27 am

hatr wrote:3. How to run FAH as a service. Since I got FAH running as a service, my points are about double what they were. I would not have gotten this part done without the recent sticky's by haysdb. Some of us who don't like to play with the registry, or who don't have much time, really benefit when the veterans simplify & summarize these things.

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! Back up the bus! Did you say your points doubled simply by running F@H as a service?

Is this the norm? Are we talking machines that are on 24/7 that were running the command-line client or Electron Microscope and are now running as a service instead, or was is some other configuration?

I gotta look into this "F@H as a service" thing some more!

Scott

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:24 am

Yeah, the points could easily double when running it as a service.

If the computer is on 24/7, but the user logs off when not working, that would severely limit the CPU time for F@H.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:26 am

It might be as well, why SPCR team folding get lazy, becuase everyone like me started playing FarCry instead of surfing and folding with this :lol:

Okay, enought laugh then :wink: My 24/7 running server might benefit from the "run as service" thingie, but hell, it's just VIA C3 1200Mhz Nehemiah crap, nothing what could move/done much WU, after all :?

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:07 am

Zyzzyx wrote:Yeah, the points could easily double when running it as a service.

If the computer is on 24/7, but the user logs off when not working, that would severely limit the CPU time for F@H.

Ahhh. But if it's logged in and running the console client 24/7, then it's probably doing as much as it can now?

hatr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hatr » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:29 am

sbabb wrote:
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! Back up the bus! Did you say your points doubled simply by running F@H as a service?
I share the PC with my wife who doesn't fold. Or at least she didn't till I set FAH up as a service.

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:36 am

Why do you think the team is dying? As others have mentioned -- the drop in PPD can be linked to ARM scaling back production combined with drop in the growth rate of new folders to take up the slack.

Also having an affect is these recent influx of long-run time WU's -- I know that my production is a roller coaster these days. A couple of bad days followed by a couple of killer days as I turn a bunch of these things in at once.

Also remember that many of the recently inactive folders may just be people with 235pt Tinkers that take awhile to chew on...

Lets stop this talk about "dying" before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy -- nobody wants to join a team perceived to by "dying". We're currently sitting @ #12 in PPW production -- far from "dead".

Dave

PS hatr -- As far as I'm concerned -- the "small guys" are trully the big guns when it comes to the team. Barry Bonds may get all the pub, but the Giants go nowhere without the rest of the team. All teams have their "All-Stars" -- that's the nature of the beast. But like AI on the Sixers, A-Rod when on the Rangers or TRC-13 on SPCR -- the star will only go as far as the team will carry him. Not the other way around. The winners are the TEAMS, not the collection of individual stars.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:13 am

Remember folks, there is no "I" in Team, dammit!

I think I have a poster somewhere to further emphasize this point.. ah yes..

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:31 am

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:36 pm

I'm not happy with that subject line sitting at the top of our forum either (and here *I* go, bumping it to the top again :oops:), but have resisted the urge to "play God" and change it. I may have to rephrase it though. Make it more "politically correct" 8)

David

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:46 pm

Put a lock on it. 8)

Or we stop replying to this thread to let it move off the 1st page.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:50 pm

wumpus wrote:Remember folks, there is no "I" in Team, dammit!
There is, however, a "ME"

(this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, or the fact that SPCR-Folding is not dying, but I just like to point that out whenever it comes up :wink: )

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:51 pm

Stop replying. Image

;)

isp

Post by isp » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:06 pm

I think "in decline" is more appropriate than "dying". If you want to see a team that's dying, take a look at Xtremeresources (formerly Xtremesystems). They once did about the same ppd as SPCR currently, and now they're down to like 7-8k on a good day!

This team might just be floating still in the water, but it's FAR from sinking... :D

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:12 pm

I always get a chuckle out of the Budweiser Super Bowl add featuring 'Leon' the wide receiver after a dismal loss for his team.
Reporter - "There's no 'I' in team"
Leon - "Yea there ain't no WE either"
Priceless! Fold on! :lol:

Dros

Post by Dros » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:27 pm

Well, there is a "Comical Ha" in Macaholic!

and a "clever newt I sip" in Silent PC review!

oops, sorry. Try not to reply so this depressing thread doesn't hang around. :oops:

I know you guys will rise up as you have time and time again, and not let a bunch of overclockers, as "hip" and "cool" as they may be, pass you. You are not in decline, but merely in a transient respite.

alcimedes

Post by alcimedes » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:19 pm

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Any reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

David