Question about various F@H things...

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PorBleemo

Question about various F@H things...

Post by PorBleemo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:43 am

1. I presume the CLI is faster then GUI, no? Is there a script someone has that I can use to make the CLI a service for WinXP?
2. How does one get that cool stats picture in their sig. 8)
3. What is a good utility to watch F@H CLI progess?

-Por
Last edited by PorBleemo on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:05 am

PorBleemo,

Welcome to the fold 8)

1. Just about to ask that myself.....

2. Add this:

{img]http://www.liquidninjas.com/dc/ln_dc_si ... huser=Your Folding Name Here&xskin=Zyzzyx&xfahteam=31574[/img}

(with your folding name instead of 'Your Folding Name Here') replacing the { & } with [ & ] to your signature on your profile page.

you could cut/paste, then replace as necessary.

Pete

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:41 am

#1 Read here for info

Dave

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Question about various F@H things...

Post by haysdb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:02 pm

PorBleemo wrote:1. I presume the CLI is faster then GUI, no?
The GUI version may be ever so slightly slower than the CLI version, but speed is not why you would, or should, run one over the other. There is some discussion of this in the Beginner Guide
Is there a script someone has that I can use to make the CLI a service for WinXP?
Pete's link, Installing Folding@Home as a service, is the best information I have. I set up FAH to run as a service on all of my machines half a year ago using the "srvany method", so I haven't tried the "new" installers from pk, NoahJ, Buzzard, etal, so everyone here would benefit from YOUR experience, which in turn will help fine-tune my recommendations in that thread. Which installer you use will be based on various factors, which are discussed in that thread. At this time, there is no one single best choice for everyone, but rather a LIST of choices from which you can choose.

I will note that MOST of those installers do run FAH as a service in exactly the same way, so the end result will be the same, it's just the installers that are different. Exceptions would be the Firedaemon method, TRC-13's "stealth" installer, and any that run FAH as a Scheduled Task.

Edit: I have updated the services links post to include these comments, and have restructured the list just a bit, to move the not-precisely-a-service installers all to the bottom.
2. How does one get that cool stats picture in their sig. 8)
We all have Zyzzyx to thank for the sig, and TRC-13 for the SPCR EMIII skin (which, by the way, can now be downloaded from the main EMIII download page).

David
Last edited by haysdb on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:19 pm

Thanks for the help people!

1. F@H v.4 CLI successfully installed with -admethods and -forceSSE. Unfortunately one of those (probably SSE) forced me to increase processor voltage to avoid crashes. :(
2. I added that image link to my sig but nothing shows up? Can someone help? EDIT: Weird forums, doesn't sig changes affect all posts?
3. WHat is a good utility to watch CLI progress?

-Por

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:35 pm

PorBleemo wrote:WHat is a good utility to watch CLI progress?
Honest people, Por is not a "plant", an alter-ego for haysdb, placed here to ask excellent questions. :lol:

Por, the Useful Links thread has a section "Folding Monitors" which links to two excellent utilities for monitoring the progress of FAH. They can monitor a single instance up to as many as you have, across a LAN or even across the Internet. Both are highly recommended, although I suggest EMIII be your first choice, because of some unique features it has, such as letting you know when FAH is not running.

And do download the SilentPCReview "skin". There is a link to it on the EMIII download page.

David
Last edited by haysdb on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:40 pm

PorBleemo wrote:2. I added that image link to my sig but nothing shows up? Can someone help? EDIT: Weird forums, doesn't sig changes affect all posts?
If no points have yet found their way to LiquidNinjas.com, you might see this "broken sig" thing. Your sig "code" looks fine to me: (I added the space after your name to more clearly show that your sig and mine appear to be identical except for the username)

Code: Select all

http://www.liquidninjas.com/dc/ln_dc_sigs.php?xfahuser=PorBleemo &xskin=Zyzzyx&xfahteam=31574
http://www.liquidninjas.com/dc/ln_dc_sigs.php?xfahuser=David_Hays&xskin=Zyzzyx&xfahteam=31574
If you have only recently completed your first WU (work unit), I would give it a few hours.
Another thought is to double check that your name is entered EXACTLY as you entered it when you configured FAH, including capitalization.

Any changes you make to your sig should effect every post you have ever made on this forum. The sig is not stored in the orginal post, but is "dynamic". Is it not working that way?

David