What's worth it in folding?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vihta

What's worth it in folding?

Post by Vihta » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:27 am

I couldn't find any good info about this anywhere so I'll ask.

What do you guys think that is the minimum usable CPU speed in folding nowadays?

I'm curious to know because I could get a PIII 800MHz XEON system for about 80€. Should I get it for folding? I have no idea how the PIII Xeons perform. The system is complete with HDD, mem (256) and so on.

I could also get a **itload of 500-600MHz PIIIs but I think I'd just waste electricity with these. Not to mention getting strangled by my girlfriend if I bring even more "junk" home.. :P

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:29 am

A 500MHz PIII performs about equal to my VIA C3 1GHz system. Which gets approx. 105 PPW when run 24/7. Performance for PIIIs is about linear with clock speed. So my guestimate for the PIII Xeon is approx. 170 PPW. It's up to you if you think that is a good investment.

mai9

Re: What's worth it in folding?

Post by mai9 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:39 pm

Vihta wrote:I could get a PIII 800MHz XEON system for about 80€. Should I get it for folding?
just curious, what's so interesting of folding that you'd get another computer just for that.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:19 am

Why do people give money to charities :?:

This is something like that. Instead of giving the money to the charity (Pande research group @ Stanford University), you spend it on hardware and electricity. Then the hardware gets used (almost) exclusively to calculate for the charity.

The cause of this charity is scientific research about protein folding and misfolding. There are several diseases/illnesses related to this. One of the first for which there will be practical results is Alzheimer. But some forms of cancer and some other rarer diseases are related to it too.

As an added stimulus there is a scoring system. So people can compete with how much they have contributed to the cause.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: What's worth it in folding?

Post by peteamer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:20 am

mai9 wrote:just curious, what's so interesting of folding that you'd get another computer just for that.
So I can stay ahead of KnightFallen :twisted:

(and keep him in his rightfull place. :wink: )

Love to All.

Pete

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:03 am

So, which one benefits the research more, 80$ donate or buying more hardware?

Some people seem to spend tremendous amounts of folding per month, having folding farms and huge electricity bills... Wouldn't the money work better if it were just donated?

Vihta

Post by Vihta » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:47 am

lm wrote:So, which one benefits the research more, 80$ donate or buying more hardware?

Some people seem to spend tremendous amounts of folding per month, having folding farms and huge electricity bills... Wouldn't the money work better if it were just donated?
With folding one can be sure that something is done with the money. Besides it will increase your production and that matters if you want to brag with your score :)

Electricity is quite cheap around here. I don't even know how much I pay for it each month because the sum is just so insignificant. Even for a student like me.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:25 am

The distributed computing concept is based on people donating unused(wasted) cycles to the project. This seems to be the core and the most efficient means of donation. Dedicated folders are good for the project, but one must weigh the expenses to their pocketbooks and the use of precious natural resources.

Consider that this project will take many years to complete. It takes about a month for the entire project to simulate what takes less than a half second to occur in the body proteins.

Your contributions should be based on what you are comfortable with and can sustain for many years. That is what this team and the project needs most. People who can remain dedicated for years.

I have seen people join, put up great numbers then fade away just as fast. IMHO the folder that donates a small PPW for years is more valuable than donars who puts up phenomenal PPW for a short term.

I think of it as a hobby for my computers, something they do in their spare time.