Overclockers Club: the new long-term challenge!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JanW

Overclockers Club: the new long-term challenge!

Post by JanW » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:11 am

So it seems that we can't escape the Dutch Power Cows and CustomPC. If we finally manage to put Gen[M]ay behind us (looking good right now, but the past ups and downs should remind us to be vigilant), that would still leave us with a chance to remain in the top 20 folding teams in the world.

For as long as we can keep Overclockers Club at distance!! They have only some 40 more active members than we do. They are not on our heels just yet, but better prepare early. How can we win over more SPCR members to help with our noble cause :?:

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:03 am

Front page monthly folding news. Everyone else does it. Only way to keep pestering people.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:05 pm

For the last few weeks my 2 high-power machines have not been folding, but I'm back again, at a reduced rate. The laptop is now in my mothers possession, running FAH at 40% to keep the fan from running at 100% and annoying her. On the upside, I think that I convinced her to leave the laptop running as much as possible.

My own desktop is folding once again, at a 50% (25% total CPU throttle) while I test out this new fangled Phantom 350 PSU to see if it makes it past that ominous 21 day mark,

JanW

Post by JanW » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:01 am

A little update on the race against Gen[M]ay: We're well on track to pass them, with a daily gain of over 5k points right now! Way to go, team!!! Looks like their recent stampede is over. And if we keep this rate up, we'll pass them before CustomPC gets us, so we won't drop out of the top 20 teams!!

Now let's turn to the real challenge: upping our output by at least 15% to stay ahead of Overclockers Club.

My own machines are back to folding solidly, after some downtime for silencing and tweaking. Unfortunately, I don't see any potential folders to recruit around me, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Am I the only one who finds that the past steady supply of 600point Gromacs units is slowly thinning?

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:27 am

You're not the only one. I'm getting a 50/50 split of double-Gromacs and Tinkers arrrrrggggg.

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:44 am

Well the new computer that I just built for my brother has been turned on to the folding. It's a 939 pin Athlon64 3200+ at stock speeds (for the moment).

It should be good for a few hundred points per day.

Elixer

CALLING ALL NON-FOLDERS!

Post by Elixer » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:19 pm

We are currently losing ground to overclockers club. If we hope to stay in the top 20 we will have to increase our production by about 10,000 points a day. I am calling upon all you who have not folded before or are not folding currently. Now is the time to join the battle! Take hands with your fellow SPCRers and let us defeat these loud enemies!

just click and download, so simple.
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

(well I was hoping my new subject would appear in the recent posts, oh well)

phuntism

Post by phuntism » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Ok, you got me.

I've been considering signing up for folding for a while, (it's a good cause, help humanity), but now that I know we're also battling those fiends at Overclockers Club, I'm in!

Edit: Now folding.
Last edited by phuntism on Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:49 pm

I will soon have two machines folding, i just got this 3500+ Winchester up and running. I used the same case as in the previous setup, so i have to transfer the oold parts to the old case and then the 2600+@2300mHz will be folding again :D

JanW

Post by JanW » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:50 am

Cool guys, more folding power!!! 8)

You're making up for my stupidity :oops: : I just lost 600points to carelessness. Had a machine crash (not folding related), and lost a 600point WU that was 85% done. Ok, first time to test if the regular backups of my folding directory pay off. Rolled back the backup from 3hours prior to the crash, finished the unit, got credits, great! Moved back to the current state of the folding directory (or at least I thought I did) and it started processing the same WU again! Of course I didn't notice this until I didn't get credits for it when it finished 3 days later... :oops: :oops: Just mentioning this to remind people to be extra careful when moving WUs around.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:32 am

i'm in the same situation as nici - basically have an entire p4 2400 system left over from when i upgraded nearly everything a couple months ago. just need to get around to getting another case and PSU...

x1m

Post by x1m » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 pm

I've got a spare stick of ram and an old geforce 2 lying around. Oh, another PSU, enought to warrant building another folding machine? :P

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:28 pm

x1m wrote:I've got a spare stick of ram and an old geforce 2 lying around. Oh, another PSU, enought to warrant building another folding machine? :P
8)