Folding@Home applet for KDE

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Folding@Home applet for KDE

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:35 pm

Hello:

I found what looks like a very nice way to monitor the Folding@Home client in KDE Linux:

http://members.shaw.ca/khessels/kfolding/index.html

However, when I try to install it (following the instructions), I get an error message that had something to do with not finding a C+ compiler? Can someone help me out with this?

I'm liking Linspire 5.0, BTW. It is very close to doing everything I need.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 pm

There are basically two ways you can install this. One is to download the source code and then to configure, make and make install. The other is to install using the RPM file which is a binary file. But the RPM is for SuSE Linux so you probably should not use it. So that leaves you with building from source. And this is what is sounds like you tried.

So do you have GCC installed? To test this open a console and enter:

gcc -v

you should see something like:

Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3-r1/work/gcc-3.4.3/configure --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.4.3 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/include/g++-v3 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-multilib --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,f77
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.3 20041125 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3-r1, ssp-3.4.3-0, pie-8.7.7)

But if you get a "gcc -v: command not found" then it is not installed. So the first step is to install gcc. I am not sure how you install things in Linspire so you need to figure that out. If you have gcc installed or you get stuck on something else post back here with more details about exactly what you are doing when the error occurs. The more detail the better.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:10 am

Hello Hal:

Thanks for your reply. I did get the GCC not found error -- and I will ask the Linspire support folks about how to do this. I was using SuSE previously, and I know it did install it -- though they have the RPM...

I currently can't boot the Linspire, 'cuz I was attempting to get my 5 button mouse to have functions on the fourth and fifth buttons, and so I have another issue that I need to fix first. I would imagine that I have to restore the previous xorg.conf file -- I just checked, and someone has already posted the instructions! :)