Folding@Home Sig Helper

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Did you use my sig helper?

yes
88%
no
8%
I have no idea what a sig is.
4%

Total votes: 24

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:43 am

StarfishChris wrote:
JanW wrote:Is this a limitation on Jason's end when generating the GIFs? Or a limitation of the GIF format?
It must be a limitation on Jason's end. For example he might be remapping to a generic palette (e.g. web-safe colours) or the remapping algorithm is especially poor, but the GIF format is capable of it.
(Unlike PNGs which Internet Explorer refuses to display in the correct colours)
Correct Answer. I noticed the differences in colour representation as well, nothing i can do about it unfortunately.
nici wrote:Yay, it works Very Happy Thanks.

My team rank is dropping... damn. currently running one 3500+, one AXP 2600+ and one CM340 laptop 24/7.
Indeed it does! Great to have your support.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:05 am

dedogs wrote:
nici wrote:Yay, it works Very Happy Thanks.

My team rank is dropping... damn. currently running one 3500+, one AXP 2600+ and one CM340 laptop 24/7.
Indeed it does! Great to have your support.
I hate how smileys turn out in quotes... :lol: "Yay, it works :D Thanks." turns into to Yay, it works Very Happy Thanks. Very Happy Thanks... :mrgreen:

Anyway, im moving up now.. Catch me if you can :)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:35 am

thanks for the helper!

nici

Post by nici » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 am

Correction: the AXP is not folding ATM. The a7n8x-e deluxe started to make some weird chirping noise and the 700alcu was too loud so i bought a refurbished epox mobo for 35€ and a aerocool 101, as it turns out the mobo has the socket the wrong way so the ducting idea is out for today. will make my own acrylic duct tomorrow probably.

I´ve been flashing cards used in very very big UPSs the shole day, im so tired that it feels like im very seriously hung over, dead, chopped in half, eaten by fourteen llamas, and decapitated and even more dead... Works starts at 7AM, have to get up 5:30. Four weeks to go of this hell, its a learning period from schools so i dont even get paid to work. off to bed now.. night.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:21 am

Now I have this F@H sig, but my sig is already full with other usefull info.....
Choices, choices.

Maybe if I dump system 1 from my sig it will work. That system is dead anyway.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:25 pm

nici wrote:Correction: the AXP is not folding ATM. The a7n8x-e deluxe started to make some weird chirping noise and the 700alcu was too loud so i bought a refurbished epox mobo for 35€ and a aerocool 101, as it turns out the mobo has the socket the wrong way so the ducting idea is out for today. will make my own acrylic duct tomorrow probably.

I´ve been flashing cards used in very very big UPSs the shole day, im so tired that it feels like im very seriously hung over, dead, chopped in half, eaten by fourteen llamas, and decapitated and even more dead... Works starts at 7AM, have to get up 5:30. Four weeks to go of this hell, its a learning period from schools so i dont even get paid to work. off to bed now.. night.
:shock: wtf? umm maybe wrong forum post :lol:

still intersting to read none the less.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:53 am

I said earlier that i have three computers folding 24/7, and itll take at least one day more untill i get the AXP running again. TUrns out the refurbished mobo was very much broken and i took it back and got a new epox matx instead, 47€ and pretty much integrated everything including vga. memory is limited to 333MHz though, but that no biggie since i have two sticks of 333MHz memory.. I hope this will work out ok, it cerrtainly looks nice and the cpu socket is rotated 90degs so i can make my duct easier.. Bought a 50x50cm piece of 1mm polycarbonate for 5,65€ to make te duct. i can make 20 ducts out of that if i want :lol:

PSU nexus fan swap is done, and ill duct the cpu to a 92mm nexus, psu fan controlled by the psu and 92mm undervolted. Now theres no way i can make this rig silent with a 3,5" hdd.. hdd idle noise is the most annoying noise after clicking fans and folding paper bags when tired.

Sorry to drag this off topic, shoot me if you feel like it. I dont feel like waking up 5:30 tomorrow anyway. I wont be flashng any cards though, theres a lot of other stuff to do on UPSs.. The smallest one they make is 30kVa, the biggest is something like 500kVa. the bigger ones are cooled by about a dozen of 40W papst DC fans and weigh several tonnes... ouch.

Oh well, time to get some sleep again i guess.. iv´ve been up for nearly 20 hours after just a few hours of sleep for a few days in a row. thank god its friday tomorrow...

Sorry for not feeling like starting a new thread.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:26 pm

nici wrote:I said earlier that I have three computers folding 24/7
Sorry dude my short term memory is about as long as Betty boo's inner thigh :?

Any how good to see comps turning out some more proteins ;)

P.S get some sleep man! It just isn’t healthy.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:18 pm

Not doing much progress.. It seems like i cant get good contact between the HS and the cpu, i´ve redone it three times now with AS5 and the heatsink barely gets warm, and mobo reports cpu temp at 75c before it crashes. thats with the ducted 92mm nexus at 12V... I placed a thermal probe right next to the die on the cpu and it got up to 60c when mobo said 75c. Everything else i got working, the suspended HDD is extremely quiet for a 3,5" hdd when surrounded wih the nexus damptek blocks and temp stays at 38c.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:33 pm

on 23/10/05 the web host im using are updating there server. Thus the sigs are down for the moment.

Everything will be back soon.

sorry. :x

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:41 pm

nici wrote:Not doing much progress.. It seems like i cant get good contact between the HS and the cpu, i´ve redone it three times now with AS5 and the heatsink barely gets warm, and mobo reports cpu temp at 75c before it crashes. thats with the ducted 92mm nexus at 12V... I placed a thermal probe right next to the die on the cpu and it got up to 60c when mobo said 75c. Everything else i got working, the suspended HDD is extremely quiet for a 3,5" hdd when surrounded wih the nexus damptek blocks and temp stays at 38c.
You sure it didn't say 'Pentium D 840' on the heatspreader? ;)

Thanks to the onset of winter, I overclocked my 3200+ by 10% to run at 3500+ (2.2GHz) @ 1.225v. If you haven't already, now might be a good time to try it.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:36 am

StarfishChris wrote:
You sure it didn't say 'Pentium D 840' on the heatspreader? ;)
Im quite shure about that... :lol: AXPs dont have heatspreaders as you probably know :wink: Anyway, it must be the heatsink that isnt working, i put the unused stock heatsink on, connected it to the PSU fan only connector wich is about 6,5V, then added a revoltec 12-->9,5V thingie and then a fanmate to drop the voltage even further.. So the stock fan is running at something like 4V probably. Load temp is 62c max compared to the 85c, yes eightyfive, idle with the aerocool with a 80mm fan at full speed :shock:
StarfishChris wrote: Thanks to the onset of winter, I overclocked my 3200+ by 10% to run at 3500+ (2.2GHz) @ 1.225v. If you haven't already, now might be a good time to try it.
I have a 3500+ Winchester, i tried locking the memory frequency to 200mHz in the bios, wich worked, then upping the FSB a bit but it didnt even boot into windows.. I think ill try again. I cant find any settings for the HTT multiplier in the BIOS though, but they must be there somewhere its just called something else. Its a DFI Ultra-D, so everything should be adjustable..

nici

Post by nici » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:41 am

The sig doesnt work? Children Of Bodom - Lake Bodom Image

edit: i just noticed dedogs post above.. :roll: Oh well, Thanks for the quick answer :mrgreen:

edit#2: Got this thing to work at 230x11= 2530mHz, had to up the voltage some though. Have been folding for about an hour now.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:06 am

nici I have been trying half the afternoon to re-find a page (I think on overvlockers.com) that might hold the solution to your problem heatsink.

I think the long and short of it, if I recall correctly, was that the 'step' in the heatsink was not quite enough and causing contact between the ZIF socket edge and the heatsink where it was 'cut' away. The result was that the heatsink was on a 'tilt' and not contacting fully.

It was proved by inserting a Rizla paper beween the the socket and the stepped bit of heatsink, clamping the ZIF down and trying to retrieve the paper. It didn't move so either the socket or heat sink were filed away until the paper removed cleanly. At which point proper heat transfer resumed.

Hope that makes sense/helps.

Regards
Pete

nici

Post by nici » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:17 am

peteamer wrote:nici I have been trying half the afternoon to re-find a page (I think on overvlockers.com) that might hold the solution to your problem heatsink.

I think the long and short of it, if I recall correctly, was that the 'step' in the heatsink was not quite enough and causing contact between the ZIF socket edge and the heatsink where it was 'cut' away. The result was that the heatsink was on a 'tilt' and not contacting fully.

Regards
Pete
Thanks! That sound pretty logical.. Is there any danger if i cut the "step" too much? I dont think there should be, as the HS is clamped down at the middle right above the core and all heatsink dont even have this "step", it woud just be nice to know before i bring out the tools.. :lol:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:24 am

Try with the Rizla paper first to see if it is the prob.
If it is, then just trim/file away a bit at a time until prob gone.

Just do it quickly so you can...

Pete
:P

nici

Post by nici » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:49 am

I filed away some material, but when i installed the HS again i noticed it can slide a bit sideways.. Thats probably what the problem was, its really tight to install the HS on the matx board so i must have installed it badly every single time i did it... :oops: Anyway, got it working now :) Only problem is that i need to activate windows before i can log on, i have somehow managed to install windows on the D partition, and i need to phone MS support to activate it since i´ve activated it too many times.. And i cant find the installation cd, dont want to phone them now, reinstall tomorrow and phone aggain..

So it wont be folding untill tomorrow evening :(

The currrent cardboard CPU duct is pretty ghetto too, have to make the polycarbonate version before i post it in the gallery :wink: It definately is quiet though, with only two Nexus fans both running very slow. No point in going 2,5" HDD really, it sits right next to my P180 wich is louder anyway. And i cant think of anything to make it quieter except installing the reserator again.

Oh, this comp is crunching on project #753 atm, worth a massive 44 points and ETA 20h with 200/1000 frames done :cry: I bet the CM340 is doing better PPD at the moment.... How can i see my PPD by the way? I´ve understood it should be visible in FahMon but i cant find it :?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:19 pm

Free Hosts are stupid they never work!

any chance anyone has some spare space on a server they could put up the code for my sig helper?

my machine never stays on 24/7 for more than 2 days or so so i cant host it myself :(

plz help.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:20 pm

What's required of the server and what is the amount of traffic it generates?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:06 pm

Tibors wrote:What's required of the server and what is the amount of traffic it generates?
all that is required is some php code inside a error404.php document.
One other page with details how to make your sig.

and then the server just redirects users to extremeoverclock.co.uk

About 100,000 hits for a month. about 10mb Bandwidth a month.

all the server is doing is redirecting so hardly any bandwidth is used.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:46 am

I have access to a coupble gigabyte or unused webspace with 50Gb/month bandwidth limitation.. I´ve never used it for anything though, and i dont really know how to upload a webpage.. We are just going thru that at school, or we were before the "learning on the work" period started.

I´ve thought i should use it though, free image hosting always has its liitations.. And i could upload videos and whatnot.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:13 pm

I have decided to make a request to MikeC the SPCR owner.
It makes sense that my service should be hosted by the same server it is required for.

Just gota wait for what Mike has to say about it. :?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:54 am

dedogs wrote:I have decided to make a request to MikeC the SPCR owner.
It makes sense that my service should be hosted by the same server it is required for.

Just gota wait for what Mike has to say about it. :?
Sounds like a good idea to me.. :)

Anyway, i found the windows cd, installed windows, and now im downloading 100mB of updates and the download is really slow for some reason..

I seem to have made a very good job on he cpu installation too, with the nexus at 5V the t-bred 2600+ idles at 34c wich is about 10c above ambient(inside the case). According to an external temp probe, and my calibrated finger-probe, the cpu temp reported by the mobo seems pretty accurate. Ill install FAH after the windows updates are finished and start crunching on the proteins.. :lol: 600 pointer on this machine atm. ETA varies from 12hours to 3 days.. im guessing the 3 days is more accurate. :x

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:24 pm

I just added some code to find out some details about the sig images.

Here is some info for ya : http://www.dedogs.po.gs/fold_sigs/showsig.php

hopefully it wont make any performaces differances :roll:

nici

Post by nici » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:33 am

Erm, i must be pretty stupid but what is the "count" number next to the names?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:21 am

nici wrote:Erm, i must be pretty stupid but what is the "count" number next to the names?
lol, the number of requests for the image from someone/anyone.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:39 am

Now i feel even more stupid... :lol: Or do you mean that everytime someone opens a thread wich contains my signature pic, it adds one to the "count"?

If its not that, and it cant be explained shortly and easily, dont bother :roll:

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:41 am

yes nici that is correct. :wink:

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:01 pm

My host has gone bankrupt.

Thus i have now way of forwarding the image :(

i'll try and sort it out.

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:10 pm

Just to inform you all, my host has been bought out and things are back on track.