How to configure an Athlon X2 WELL?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Juliusz

How to configure an Athlon X2 WELL?

Post by Juliusz » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:29 am

I configured FAH to run as a service. I've an EMIII as a monitoring program and i dunno which flags i have to add to. I now that X2 have a SSE3 instructions but in FAHlog i only seen SEE using... i'm confused about my cpu is not fold full of its power.. :?

Juliusz

Post by Juliusz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:36 am

Hey! Anybody can help me with that?? I understand that You can't do it because I fold for another team but i think that site help everyone... :cry:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:38 am

You don't need any flags to use specific SSE instructions. SSE3 is never used by F@H at all and SSE2 only by some types of WU. Which type is used is determined fully automatic and is invisible in the log. The only message you will see is that is uses SSE regardless of the type.

Most SPCR folders are of the type "set and forget", so they never took the effort to learn much of the detailed settings. For answers to such questions you are better off at http://forum.folding-community.org/.

SethV10

Post by SethV10 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:08 am

I have an X2 3800+ that is running 2 instances of the 5.04 beta on Win2003 server. I do not have them set up as services, but use the following switches:
-local -advmethods -verbosity 9
Last night EMIII indicated that there was trouble on the machine and I had to reboot to get them to clear up. Did not figure out what was the issue.

Don't know on the SSE issue.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:19 am

SethV10,

Image to SPCR !!. 8)

Pete

Plutronics

Post by Plutronics » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:28 pm

Might I suggest adding the -forceasm Flag ?
It will make sure the SSE(2) Boost is kicked in , even on the rare occasion that the client is improperly terminated or the previous WU ended early.

FOLD ON BROTHERS and SISTERS !
:D

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Well I am having one He#11 of a time getting set up with dual core. If you check EOC stats you will see we have a new team member "Umregistered" :oops: ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!. I just uninstalled and edited out ALL traces of folding in my registry. Building a computer and installing all software is a piece of cake, but running two instances of folding, properly is much more difficult. I just found and used a modified installer from Overclockers Forums that someone modified from a Google installer. I will post back with how it works out. Hopefully results will start showing up in the stats. :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:10 pm

Hello,

Here's what I just did on my new X2 4200: I'm running one instance of the 5.02 console as a service, and I could not get a second instance of it to also run as a service (even though they were in separate folders and the second one was the 5.04 beta). I think the Cores were the same, and Windows got confused...

So for the second instance, I installed the graphical client...

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:24 pm

NEILBLANCHARDThat will be a disaster next time you reboot, you will lose your data and the WU will start from frame 1. That is what happened to me, and to others at folding-comunity.org.

Shut down the client(s) when it finishes the WU so you don't lose them. Then go here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247 download wedo's dually/HT with -advmethods, all you have to do is change the team number and username(in notepad) and you are all set. This is very easy installer. It is a modified google installer. That is what I used and it is working fine.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Hello,

Yes, running the two consoles as services seemed to do this, but run one console as a service and one graphical client seems to be okay.

Now, I wish I could get a monitoring program that runs in WinXP Pro 64?