limit F@H cpu use?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mb2

limit F@H cpu use?

Post by mb2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:38 am

i know ideally u want everyone to run @ 100% all day..
but i dont want to run my cpu @ load, 100%, OCed, 24/7. (anything is better than nothing right?)
soo, is there any way to stop F@H going out of 'CnQ mode' when otherwise idle?
how about a way to set the max cpu use?.. i'm not sure it would allow CnQ, but it would allow Crystal'n'quiet, and seems more likely.
annnd.. any way to stop it when on battery power?

i'm assuming the solution to these, if any, will come via 3rd party apps rather than the thing itself..?

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 am

Stop the client if you're running it, then open a command prompt and navigate to the F@H dir. Run the main executable with the parameter '-configonly' (eg. FAH502-Console.exe -configonly), re-configure (press Enter to use what's already there) and choose to change the advanced options - it's all in there, IIRC.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:09 am

The defaults in (SuSE) Linux do this just fine. Folding runs using 'nice' priority, and the CPU load by 'nice' priority tasks does not affect the CnQ calculation. So most of the time my CPU is running with 5* multi, 1.1VCore (and 254MHz HTT).

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:04 am

I use the standard windows consul version and both the items you ask about are configurable in the advanced tab of the config menu. 8)

Along with a couple of other things also...

Regards
Pete