One core and one GPU?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wussboy

One core and one GPU?

Post by wussboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 am

Greets everyone. After much humming and hawing I decided to get off my ass and back into the folding game. It seemed like such a waste to have a x1950Pro just sitting there 23.5 hours a day.

I want to fold with the GPU (on screensaver only because I heard there were problems with it giving up control) and one CPU core (X2 3800 AM2) going all the time. How would I go about doing that? I got the GPU up and going I think (there's an icon in the sys tray). What do I do to get another one going on a core?

Thanks for you-all-ses help.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:41 am

When you want to start with the FAH GPU core you should really check the requirements for it, is is really picky. You need the exact driver version mentioned and the right windows version, win XP.
In the FAH directory is a log file "FAHlog.txt" which logs everything the client does. If you open it with notepad or something similar you can see what is happening and if it is really folding or it is just outputting error messages. The icon in the system tray is only indicating that the client is started, not that it is running successfully.
I don't know if two versions of FAH running together might interfere with each other, you should check out that. You do have 2 cpu cores, but only 1 memory interface, 1 chipset etc. I don't know if there are enough resources to let both clients run fast at the same time.
The FAH Screensaver uses a lot of graphical resources according to the FAH team itself, so the FAH Screensaver would really eat performance from the GPU client, so that doesn't look as a good option to me, buy you can always try the cmd-line version.

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am

I think the consensus is that you should leave one of the CPU cores to support the GPU client, but you can easily run one CPU client in addition. There are instructions for how to set up multiple clients on the FAH site, or possibly in the forums.

The GPU GUI client is not recommended for long-term use, since it uses the GPU for both the actual folding and showing the results.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:54 pm

I am not sure of this but I woould sugest running the GPU client and then changing the affinity of the core thread (the one that takes up the CPU) to use only a specific core.

Then run the SMP client and also change its 4 core threads (FahCore_a1.exe in windows) to use the other core.

Even though the SMP client will only work on one core and it will be slower than running it in a multi-core, the points you can get from the SMP Work units will be greater than just running the non-SMP client.

If anybody thinks otherwise, please chime in...

avi_dan

Re: One core and one GPU?

Post by avi_dan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:56 pm

wussboy wrote:Greets everyone. After much humming and hawing I decided to get off my ass and back into the folding game. It seemed like

BTW, Great to have you back in the game!!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:04 pm

avi_dan wrote:I am not sure of this but I woould sugest running the GPU client and then changing the affinity of the core thread (the one that takes up the CPU) to use only a specific core.

Then run the SMP client and also change its 4 core threads (FahCore_a1.exe in windows) to use the other core.
:( You lost me.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Sorry, the confusion stems from calling the F@H client a "core". What I meant was:

run the GPU client in one CPU core and in the other CPU core run the SMP client (instead of the normal client)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 pm

Okay, I think I got it set up. I put the GPU console prog in a folder by itself and ran it. I put a CPU console version in a folder by itself and ran it. Both seem to be outputting work. What I'm wondering is what program can I use to monitor it? The Electron Microscope site is down, and FAHstats didn't seem to work either (could only download source code). Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:48 am

You could try FahMon

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:33 am

Thanks, floffe. Will try that.

BEHOLD!! I have registered points! :) Be afraid. Be very afraid.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 am

wussboy wrote:BEHOLD!! I have registered points!
8)

Image Back

Pete

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am

Pete, where can I get one of those "Welcome!" emoticons? They rock! :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am

http://www.plophead.co.uk/welcome.gif

Though I would suggest you archive it at photobucket.com/etc.

Pete

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 pm

wussboy wrote:Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Why is Camilla coming to visit? :)