Problems with Latest SMP

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Problems with Latest SMP

Post by aristide1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:52 am

I attempted to download the latest SMP version (why did mine expire now and not at the beginning of the month like normal people?). Curl did not seem to complete, and hance TAR XZF gives me a code of 1.

I tried to use WGET, that clearly tells me error 404, not found. Tried both the SMP and the version 6 file, as both .tar and .tgz, to no avail.

Tried going to Standford forms, its out to lunch as well.

:roll: :?: :?: :?: :?:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am

You know this damn thing runs OK when it works, but when intervention is required it sucks.

I got the thing downloaded and extracted. It promplty does a UNKNOWN_ERROR corestatus 79 and deletes my current WU.

It's telling core A1 is for 1 node while the WU was 4 nodes.

(*&)(*YPOIUH {O&^(*{E CB240B9N 8U69BV= 9UN30=9B768J= V6B`B1N I37698-0TR]B4N93-0=2I7N8] -BM9IBV]-6I,7UN3-N] B,MI[TPO768 9][PO5EB67M]4N-0765I2[B0P=6M5Q O.{A)#_&( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not download a single, why is it running as a single?

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:48 am

It is now a common or unified or something like that client.

You need to add -smp flag. Also, as I warned in another thread, you also want to do a -configonly because the work unit size prompt changed, it was 2 sizes, now it is three. You want to pick the biggest one if you want to continue getting the nice 1760 point work units.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:45 am

That's pure B/S.

1. It's not listed on Stanford's own "detailed instructions".

2. If I can set "BIG", memory usage, or advanced methods, through a question I can SMP through a question.

3. If other versions don't SMP then the version that does SMP should have "SMP" in both it's name and the messages it generates. One shouldn't have to pull up a system monitor to see if things are corrent.

Its pretty obvious, and I speak with 25 years of programming experience, that many of these people seem pretty clueless about how to write an interactive program.

I had to use FISHPro last week, another program written apparently by programmers that live by themselves on secluded islands.

The really ironic thing about failing such basic human communication functions is where I have worked the departments that did the actual testing, tested these seemingly unimportant aspects first, as opposed to these masterminds who don't address them at all.

I think I have right to be ticked off when I lose both time and money because some alledged know-it-all was clueless.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:08 pm

I just use finstall and it all goes smoothly...

A fairly usefull guide for finstall is available here and it's written for newbies, it and I get along just fine. :lol:

Pete

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:49 am

Hey Aristide1,

I know how you feel. Maybe young man, it is my 1 long year of experience more than you :) and more likely paranoia, that makes me only make updates between work units.

When I first saw the first line of your message
That's pure B/S.
I wondered what I said wrong (not that we don't disagree frequently in the political threads). I was relieved that it seemed to be directed at the folding update and lack of info (including not updating the instructions, so I re-downloaded the same client I had the first time) and lack of doing a decent job in making it backwards compatible.

When they have an army of volunteers making this work, they really should have thought a lot more about backwards compatibility and providing accurate information. One thing that I have learned over the years is that you don't abuse/confuse/frustrate free help or customers. You appreciate them, and they could be gone tomorrow.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:36 am

VanWaGuy,

Nothing I said was meant or directed at you.
backwards compatibility
What a concept!
Maybe young man, it is my 1 long year of experience more than you and more likely paranoia, that makes me only make updates between work units.
I suspect a little of both. :wink:

I went over to Stanford's forums last night and made heavy use of the word "oblivious."

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Oh man I don't believe this is happening again.

I updated my BIOS and restarted my system. I had left the LAN connection unplugged. I start FAH and I got a communications error. Needless to say I lost that unit. I started another one, but that one was a whopping 216 pointer. 40 hours for next to nothing. :?

Do I need to start FAH6 with the -SMP flag each and every time? That seems ridiculous to me. On top of that I restarted with -SMP and it's still folding with one core. me bummed.

Anyway I can change the expiration date on the FAH5 module? This one is nothing but trouble.

Edited-I restarted with -smp again and 16 programs started, haha. But with a restart there are 4 .exe's and only one is getting any CPU. :-(

Is there some chance that ran out of SMP WU's for now?

:?
A

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:11 pm

I had all the problems you describe. I eventually gave up and started folding with the windows SMP client.

I used to shun the Win SMP client because there were some crappy WU for it; but lately all the WU are 1760 pts.

You may want to consider it.
Avi

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:14 am

avi_dan wrote:I had all the problems you describe. I eventually gave up and started folding with the windows SMP client.

I used to shun the Win SMP client because there were some crappy WU for it; but lately all the WU are 1760 pts.

You may want to consider it.
Avi
Well I complained over at the FAH forums, but because very few people do that they feel like I am very stupid. So much for that.

Avi, you're suggesting I give more money to MS. That's a tough one.
:?

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:58 am

:D

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 pm

Avi,

I got a personal email over on the FAH forums that pretty much says what you said, but that nothing is going to get fixed because thats just the way it is.

I would have preferred that they get thousands of emails complaining, but that's not going to happen.

Oh well.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:44 pm

I am sorry to hear that.

This project does not distinguish itself by their great software engineering skills.

Oh well, I really hope that we are making a difference by folding@home.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:35 am

avi_dan wrote:I am sorry to hear that.

This project does not distinguish itself by their great software engineering skills.

Oh well, I really hope that we are making a difference by folding@home.
Its no big deal anymore. I quit being aggravated by other people's incompetence.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Then why do you keep posting about the president in a different thread? :D

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:44 pm

For our distinguished president, its ok to make an exception...

:lol:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:03 pm

VanWaGuy wrote:Then why do you keep posting about the president in a different thread? :D
HAHA, I meant for the incompetents at FAH, at least their heart is in the right place, unlike W, whose about to bomb friggin' Iran!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:10 pm

avi_dan wrote:For our distinguished president, its ok to make an exception...

:lol:
Distinguished? I'm sure Yale has had other C students. :oops:

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:05 am

There is more than one way to distinguish oneself.

Not all of them are positive.

'nuff said

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:36 pm

avi_dan wrote:There is more than one way to distinguish oneself.

Not all of them are positive.

'nuff said
I forgot because I don't watch the TV show Jackass. :lol:

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:25 pm

We are on the same page....