can't connect to assignment server at work

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

can't connect to assignment server at work

Post by KansaKilla » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 am

Anybody have any idea what might be going on here? This is my work desktop and I've been folding with this box for months. I have admin priveleges and permission to install programs on it. Could it be a network change? If so, any suggestions? I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling fah, but no avail. I can access the internet on the box, though.

Any help welcome.

+ attempting to get work packet
- will indicate memory of 2023 mb
- connecting to assignment server
connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
- couldn't send htttp request to server
+ could not connect to assignment server
connecting to http://assign2.stanford.edu:80/
Posted data.
Initial: 3131; + Could not authenticate assigment server 2 response
+ couldn't get work instructions.
- Error: Attempt #61 to get work failed, and no other work to do. Waiting before retry.

(Edited 1/16/2008 at 20:27 to add "at work" to title)
Last edited by KansaKilla on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:44 am

HI KansaKilla, bit of a late reply and maybe not much help but: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html will take you to the server status page at Stanford. There you will be able to see what state the WU servers are in.

The assignment servers you were using are OK at the moment but I don't know how they were when you were tring to download.
If I click on the links in your post I get a web page that says "OK".

What do you get if you hit your links from your work comp? (when you get back)

Regards
Pete

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:57 pm

peteamer, thanks for the reply.

http://assign2.stanford.edu:80/ is okay when I click on it from work, but the other gives me an unavailable error. Do you think it might be possible that the network admins, in their infinite wisdom, are blocking something? I am a networking nitwit, so I'm just throwing that out there. I'm willing to try whatever, though.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 am

Hiya KansaKiller, sorry for the slow reply :oops:

Your network nitwits may well have tightened up security and stopped traffic over certain ports. I seem to recall people having trouble at work because of proxies...

Try searching for proxy and then proxies in the folding forum using the search function. I'm not sure it will help... but it's all I can think of so far, I know I have read many can't connect at work threads... but can only recall proxy from them.

If I think of something I'll yell. :D

Good luck and keep us up to date as it may provoke some thought or other... 8)

Rgards
Pete

P.S. adding "At work" to the end of the thread title may help.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks, Pete! I'll search the forums for proxies and let you know if and/or what I find out.

Folding is like a disease, or an addiction. Since the work box stopped actively folding I've been antsy and irritable, and can't stop dwelling on how good it feels to see those checkpoints rolling by. Kinda like nic fits, but gum doesn't help. :wink:

bkh

Post by bkh » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 pm

It could be the firewall at work. I had a problem about a year ago where (if I remember) all the linux SMP work units were distributed by a server on port 8080, none via servers on port 80, and the firewalls at work were set to block access to port 8080.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks Pete and bkh. I googled and searched all over. Never found a discrete answer, but some of the inferences in the forums seemed to suggest that if IE were able to get access to the wider net then running config on the client and enabling IE settings might work. I tried that, and lo and behold, it worked! The client downloaded the next work packet and is now happily folding away. I'm still shivering at the loss of WUs since the network admins decided to change things. When I started out it was suggested that enabling IE settings shouldn't be done. I don't have that setting enabled on any of my home boxes. Does it hurt anything to enable it when not in a firewall situation? I'm planning on leaving my home boxes folding at their current settings for the time being.

Thanks,
--KK