Interesting Races and Folders-on-the-Move

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:59 am

Milestones:
  • Mike_Chin 40K - again contributing ~250 PPD to the team, trying not to slip too far out of the Top 10 :wink:
  • Sbabb 20K
  • DonP 15K
  • Graham_Astor 5K
  • Paul 5K
  • wgragg 3K - Now into the Top 100, >1500 PPW!!!
  • Beyonder 2K
Upcoming Milestones
  • mas92264 30K
  • Frank_Condron 30K - mas and Frank continues to be the very definition of "close race"
  • Metaluna 25K
  • Fredster 25K
  • DanOnKeys 20K
  • jvanlaven 15K
  • PaleMelanesian 15K
  • Jaik 10K
  • Semm 7K
  • Mormakil 7K
  • CoolGav 5K
New Members:
  • TrekNW - 500+ PPW!
  • SilentRandy
  • kaid
Interesting Races and Folders-on-the-Move
  • grandpa_boris - >80 PPD each of the last 5 days
  • Shshsh, don't tell Dashiv or Fastman but wussboy appears to be mounting an attack ;)
  • herosformula and sbabb is another race that continues to be "too close to call"
  • CharlieChan is definitely back. His production is back to a steady 500+ PPD
  • aphanos seems to have found some new production
    Based on his last 4 days, his weekly production is now ~3500 PPW !!!
    He will need it to stay ahead of mas and Frank!
  • Cosine is making a run for the top.
    He is now producing 4200 PPW!!!
    His Upcoming Conquests include CharlieChan, tragus, mjrusso45, and Zhentar !!!
  • Lockheed and bkh have each had a 1500 point day this month!
  • TRC-13 has had two almost 1800 point days in the last month
    His last 7 days have given us over 8500 points!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:42 am

At Dyyryath's Arachnid Stats at this hour:

Orange:
  • TRC-13
  • Lockheed
  • bhk
Green:
  • Frank_Condron
  • mas92264
  • CharlieChan
  • David_Hays
Purple:
  • Cosine (almost green)
  • aphanos
  • tangled
  • sbabb
  • herosformula
  • Lenny
  • CoolGav
  • DonP
  • PaleMelanesian
  • wgragg
  • Zyzzyx
Not quite Purple, but close:
  • Semm
  • ColdFlame

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:52 am

A few names stand out at this hour:
  • SilenRandy - 176th on the team, but 27th highest daily production
  • the_crate - 171st on the team, but 37th highest daily production
  • wgragg - 94th on the team, but 17th highest daily production
  • CoolGav - 77th on the team, but 14th highest daily production
  • Semm - 62nd on the team, but 19th highest daily production
Good work guys.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:58 pm

Ooooh, we're on to hourly updates now?!?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:25 pm

:lol: no, I just meant that it was as of a point-in-time, and that things could look different to folks checking the stats some hours or days later.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:05 am

Mutt_n_head wrote:Laf, like you are anywhere close hays
My overtake date has moved up to October 24 of this year according to extremeoverclocking. 8)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:32 am

David_Hays has reached 20K points. Yes, I stayed up to see it. :lol:

Mutt_n_head

Post by Mutt_n_head » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:09 am

I'm more insterested in your other race David, 100K points or a 100K posts..... my money's on the posts :)

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:24 am

I lost power yesterday night because of the snow storm here in Seattle, so none of my machines were folding. Got them back up this morning, 1,966 PPW according to FAHLogStats.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:52 am

Wonder how many more processors I will need to add to get to 2k per week.....hmmm.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:01 pm

wgragg, Depends on the processors!

My 2500+ Bartons are consistantly good for ~500 PPW. A P4 2.4 with HyperThreading enabled is producing 750 PPW. None are overclocked.

mutt_n_head, yikes, you're not far off. I make one post per 37 points. Not a flattering statistic. At that rate, by the time I hit 100K points, I will have over 2600 posts. That's almost as many as MikeC :shock:

Just for fun, here are the points per post for some fellow folders:

6100 - bkh (19 posts, 116K points)
5428 - Lockheed (21 posts, 114K points)
2944 - TRC-13 (54 posts, 159K points)

86 - Zhentar (907 posts, 78K points)
56 - ColdFlame (161 posts, 9K points)
56 - Semm (152 posts, 8K points)
52 - dukla2000 (713 posts, 37K points)
37 - David_Hays (535 posts, 20K points)
36 - NeilBlanchard (576 posts, 21K points)
34 - powergyoza (525 posts, 18K points)
29 - Zyzzyx (659 posts, 19K points)
22 - Rusty075 (1516 posts, 33K points)

0 - Mutt_N_Head (10 posts, 0 points)

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:22 pm

Well, my main machine is a Barton 2500 slightly overclocked and running 24/7.

My wife's machine is an athlon 1600, not overclocked running 24/7.

My laptop is a 1.7 or 8 ghz Celeron, running about 20 hours per day.

My desktop at work is around a p4 2gig 24/7.

The rest of them are P3's (850) running 24/7. I have 7 of them running now and will probably add another couple in the next few days.

Should be interesting to see how they all do.

Mutt_n_head

Post by Mutt_n_head » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:01 pm

David, I don't fold under this name... noodle it through. with any luck you'll figure it out faster than you did the diskless farm.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:17 pm

At least Hays makes the effort to contribute interesting information and through his encouragement and keeping a high interest level in Folding, is likely part of the reason that our team has performed so well over the last few weeks.

While Mutt_n_head contributes sarcasm, and, uh, what else?

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:21 pm

Yea I agree. Let's concentrate on folding :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:08 pm

Mutt_n_head wrote:David, I don't fold under this name... noodle it through. with any luck you'll figure it out faster than you did the diskless farm.
:lol: Yeah, if that was an IQ Test, I failed miserably. Thank God for CharlieChan, Lockheed, Zyzzyx, mormakil, etal., who's help and encouragement helped me through to the end. That's what I call a real "team effort". Thanks to those guys, I have a 6-board farm (counting the server) folding for SPCR.

David

Methoxy

Encouraging.. not

Post by Methoxy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:41 pm

This discussion has made it clear that unless you've got half a dozen PCs folding away you count for nothing, so after all these months I'm going to save my system the stress and forget about it. I suggest anyone with a single PC with less than a 3Ghz processor save themselves the demoralisation and do likewise.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Methoxy,

Not true, although as a former boss of mine was fond of saying, "perception is reality", and I am sorry for my contribution to your perception. The top four folders, each with over 100K points, account for only 1/4 of SPCR's points. All the "orange" and "yellow" folders account for about 1/3. The rest come from "greens" and "whites". Someone just made the comment a day or two ago that the greens and whites are conspicuous by their absense. SPCR desperately needs 300 and 400 and 500 point per week folders, lots of them, and every single one of you is valuable to the TEAM.

What can we do, what can *I* do, to change the perception that single folders are not a significant part of this effort?

David

Mutt_n_head

Post by Mutt_n_head » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:34 pm

Everyone, trust me, I do contribute. When I started this thing I was letting a friend of mine use a rig of mine to borg for himself. Since then I've gotten more interested and now contribute a total of 9 machines to this.

If you look, I doubt I've posted at all before this flurry of posts in your topics David. It's just that I like to quietly contribute without doing a "folders on the move". In fact I've been folding for this team for about 6 months and it wasn't about "one upping" people, it was about doing it for the science and the rivalries were just for fun.

It's just that you started multi page threads on what you are doing with the blades and it was cool, and most likely helpful in that it got the team interested in what's going on and interested in diskless clients.

But then you started commenting on other people's output and commenting on if they've fallen off or if they've output more.... and that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not all of it was encouragement and some of it sounded almost judgemental about how much people were putting out and about how much you are doing.

Before that it was pretty casual and then all of a sudden peoples' output is a topic when it used to not really matter. I mean TRC, Lockheed, bkh etc... crank out tons of points and you don't see any of them saying "hey so and so... your output has dropped".

Given that, I admit my sarcasm doesn't add anything and will stop as folding is what I am primarily interested in. David I think your interest and energy is a good and your contributions are worthwhile (not that it matters what I think). But talking about points seems kind of cheesy and if people want to know what the points are they can look at the stats. But that's just my opinion.

Finally, congrats on hitting 20K.

Just my .02, now on to figuring out how I can get a dual Athlon MP system from newegg without my wife noticing the hit on the CC.

Any hints are appreciated.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:42 pm

My apologies to you personally Mutt_n_head, and to anyone else offended by my posts.

I sincerely wish this forum software offered a way to "ignore" threads and posters. The last thing I want is to irritate people so badly that they stop folding. Hell, I don't wish to irritate people at all. It's unfortunate that there isn't a convenient way for people who wish to, to just ignore me.

I promise to "tone down" (but not stop) my posts as they relate to points. In my zeal to "encourage," it's obvious I have crossed the line, especially the "Dubious Distinctions Awards," which a few people found offensive.

David

Semm

Post by Semm » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:03 am

David:
I found it encouraging. It's kinda like fans cheering when you're playing a sport :) Led me to redouble my efforts at finding "victims" whose computers I could borg :twisted:

Mutt_n_head:
Take the charge and have it sent COD, if they do it. Or...Hm...Have any friends who'd use their card if you pay 'em cash or give 'em a check?

Green/white folders:
We want YOU!
Seriously, as has been mentioned, you contribute a large portion of the points to the team. Don't get discouraged! And if you can find friends who'll let you borg your computers...Even better! In any case, remember it's all in fun...Even if some of us get a bit competitive sometimes.

Semm

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:18 am

I would like to echo David's sentiments here. Every single folder is important. Some are blessed to be able to contribute multiple machines to the cause, while others do not have that ability, but still every work unit counts. It doesn't matter if you are running a single P3 or 100 Athlon 64's, the point is that it is for a great cause.

When Seti, Genome, F@H, United Devies, etc began, it was with the premise of using the spare cycles of the computers that individuals owned and were willing to lend to the cause. Those were to be the foundation that others would build upon. Without those who contribute, even one machine, this whole project would fall. You might say, that in many ways, the individuals who have a single machine to contribute are more important to the project than those of us who are farming or borging.

Please don't get discouraged or look on any of the friendly competition going on as a put down. It isn't. I haven't been adding more machines from my work to be highest in ratings, but simply to get as much work done for the project as I can. If I had to go back to a single cpu, then I would be glad that I was doing what I can.

Don't give up guys, we need you and more importantly, this great project needs you!

Wendell

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:24 pm

I'm getting ready to be spanked by those 3 individuals: Semm, wgragg and CoolGav. Whatever I did to try to fend them off - all in vain. wgragg's production curve seems to be angled at about 45 degrees upwards. I wonder if he secretly breeeds Pentiums or maybe Athlons. I wonder if I should wish they shut half of their systems down :) :) :) I also need to hear what these guys do because they seem to be adding and adding machines :)

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:07 pm

LOL, I am the Automation Coordinator for a small public library system. I make most, if not all the decisions on the public computers, so I have some freedom to install the program. They are P3'mostly, but many are only used a few hours a day. When all is said and done, I should have close to 30 computers contributing their cycles to folding.

I do build some computers, but not very many and mostly for family.

Wendell

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:36 am

I've slowly brought more PCs into folding, and made better use of those I have. My stats have got a bit skewed by the fact that I'm reconfiguring and so it looks like I've got more machines than I do. For work, I'm just an electronic Development Engineer for a small company. I just fold on the machines I have legitimate access to, which means not many. My desktop is a dual P3, so that gets a few points in, but the others here are so old and slow they add a few points every few weeks it seems!

Home is a different matter. There are the old P3-700 and Duron-800 in my servers, and then an XP2400+ at stock speed, a slightly o/c P4 (about 2.7GHz) which is not performing so well of late, and my jewel, a new XP2500+ o/c up to 3200 speed. If my fiancee was to get broadband I'd probably get her P4 (well, technically its mine) folding as well.

I was trying to hold of wragg for a while longer, but Wendell's far too strong. I started folding early December, so have been pleased with what I've achieved. Anyway, COldFlame, its not like I'm zooming past - I'll leave that for the wonderboys! :lol:

Semm

Post by Semm » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:20 am

My setup is pretty boring.

At the office I work at, I take care of the computer stuff, in addition to the other things I do. So I have a 2000+ and Celeron 1.6 from that. Then I have my personal computer and my wife's: 2200+ and P4C 2.6 (HT disabled, it crashes the damned thing when it's on). Those four are on 24/7.

Speaking of work, we have a bunch of celeron 333s here (I count 5)...You all think those are worth folding on? They'd be on 24/7, but my mom's k6-2 475 never completed so much as a frame...

I also have:
my sister's laptop (Celeron around 1.2, I think) which is on most of the day, but not at night;
two friends' laptops in Germany (Celeron 700 and P-M 1.1-ish) which are rarely on, so I'm not actually sure they're contributing any WUs;
my dad's laptop (Celeron 1.2 or so), which only folds when I remember to start F@H, because I couldn't get it to run as a service;
a friend has her P4 1.6 folding rarely, not sure if that's producing any WUs either.

Saturday I'm going down to see my grandparents, and I'll try and borg my grandfather's computer. No idea what kind of processor it has.

I'm kind of hoping to get enough saved up to start a farm, but there are other things at the moment that are more important.

Semm

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:35 am

Stanford calculates the deadline for each WU on a Celeron 500, running 10 hours/day. Those Celery 333s should manage to finish in time. I had my P2-300 Folding 24/7 for awhile and it managed. Slow, but in time.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:42 am

Semm, that's the mottliest bunch of Folders I have ever heard of. :D

For those processors that are too slow or aren't on enough to complete WU's before the deadlines, perhaps Genome@Home (GAH) would be an option? That work needs to be done too, and the points contribute to our teams totals.

A few applications have trouble with HyperThreading. I specifically chose a non-HT processor for my HTPC for that very reason. The other thing is, the FSB 800 chips run hotter than the 533's. Trouble is, it can be hard figuring out which app is (apps are) causing the problem.

David

Semm

Post by Semm » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:09 pm

David,

I chose the 2.6C for the 200/800 FSB. It's a very nice processor at the default settings. However, it won't OC even a single MHz: won't even POST at 201/804/2613. When I enable HT, win2k will not even get to load the desktop completely before BSODing (different errors each time 'til I gave up). I could fiddle with it and see what's wrong, but I can't be bothered: my wife would kill me if I took it out of service long enough to test everything :D In any case, temps are in the mid-40s as reported in MBM, so I think I'm okay there. Ambient is 20-30.

Hmmm...G@H might be good for the weak ones, good idea. We'll see. I may borg my brother's computer when he's down for my birthday at the end of Feb., too.

Semm

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Yeah, G@H is a good idea. I've got it running on my AMD 1600 TBird (no SSE code) and its putting out about the same production as F@H. Would definitely be an option for the really slow systems. Or the ones that aren't on 24/7.