been missing out, just some quick questions.

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

riffst3r

been missing out, just some quick questions.

Post by riffst3r » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:34 am

heylo... yes, i'm still alive. :D

well, i've been stuck in the sub 14.4k world of dialup access, which is why i haven't been around much in the forums. for the new cheese, i've been folding as riff for almost as long as spcr has had a folding team.

anyhoo, i'm set on building a farm, and i've got a few questions. i'm sure if browse long enough i'd find the answers, but my connection's too slow to allow that... so i'd appreciate your feedback.

anything to look for when buying the processors? i'm thinking of either celeron 2.6's or barton 2500+'s... maybe even a 2000+ and oc it.

with the new (4.0?) client which is faster? linux or windows?

these are just rough questions, just so i have an idea before i dive in.

thanks.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:08 am

welcome back riff, happy hols & all that! :)

"Don't touch the Celeron!" seems to be the forum consensus based on recent comments on this. I know the cheaper AMDs generally beat the snot out of them. Even the new Durons.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:55 pm

Yup, if you're looking for some cheap CPU power, the new Durons are the way to go. 1.6ghz for ~$0, iirc. And will equal a 2.6 Celery for most stuff.

(at least, what I remember from Anandtech's rather interesting sub-$100 CPU test)

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:59 pm

hey mike, zyzzyx... long time, thanks! :D

well, one thing i'm happy about now is that my rig has been averaging about 50points day... i had setup fah on it long back, and almost forgot about it, until i launched the task manager last week. :P

anyhoo, i'm thinking of starting with 3 to 5 machines, and working my way up... :wink: