My fan is making too much noise. HelP!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

baekacaek

My fan is making too much noise. HelP!

Post by baekacaek » Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 pm

Ive been having problems with the CPU fan. couple of weeks ago, i noticed my CPU fan making a loud noise (never been this loud before). Its as loud as a car engine (not exaggerating) I downloaded a software that measures the CPU fan speed and it was clocked at about 4500 rpm. normally, it would be running at about 1500 rpm but sometimes it would shoot up to 4500 rpm and vibrate my computer case and make a ridiculously loud sound.
I installed a new CPU today (pentium D 935) and i noticed that the cpu fan spins fast more frequently than it used to before i installed the new cpu. (i used the same cpu fan that came with the computer because he cpu fan that came with the cpu did not fit onto my motherboard). I checked my cpu temperature using a software but the highest it has gone up was only 63 degrees Celcius. I would like to know how i can reduce my fan speed and make my computer quieter without damaging my cpu, even if it requires me to buy a new cpu fan/heatsink. thanks in advance

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed May 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Your computer has the new 4-pin PWM fan. This means that it will automatically ramp up in speed as your processor temperature goes up. This is nice for people who want a set it and forget it fan. Unfortunately, PWM fans make it hard to control.

I would recommend getting a HSF with a standard 3-pin fan. This way you can connect it to some sort of fan controller (Zalman Fanmate 2 is my favorite. You can also do the 7v trick).

How much are you willing to spend on a new HSF? How much work are you willing to do in installing it?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu May 10, 2007 1:44 am

it's not surprising your cpu fan is loud,you have a very hot CPU.get the Scythe Ninja + Scythe S-flex 1600rpm fan.

baekacaek

Post by baekacaek » Thu May 10, 2007 1:09 pm

im willing to spend about $50-60 on a new fan/heatsink. also, want to set up my fan so i dont have to worry about controlling it.

i noticed that my motherboard uses the screw bolt connection type for the heatsink (not the plastic pin ones that come with intel processors). I need to find a fan that uses this kind of connector.

And btw, when im playing a game on my computer, my FPS rate starts to drop after a couple of hours of playing (dropped from 45 FPS to 20). Is this caused by the lack of cooling by the fan?

this is my motherboard by the way: ECS RC415ST-HM