Does RAM speed affect temperature much?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wabbit

Does RAM speed affect temperature much?

Post by Wabbit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:58 am

Hi, I was wondering if DDR2 RAM speed makes much difference to case temperature? In my case, I am building a system that I want to be quiet, using an AMD cpu and micro-atx mobo for use as a network file server and occasional media server.

The mobo I am looking at supports DDR2 800 RAM, but I was wondering if I should go with slower RAM, like DDR2 667 (PC 5300), for a cooler result (to reduce the need for noisy fans), as well as lower price. It seems that would be fine for my needs. Am I the right track?

Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 am

Hello,

I doubt that it would make a detectable difference in the temperature. However, as I understand it, you would notice the change in the performance of the system -- AMD CPU's are more dependent on the RAM speed for performance; than Intel Core 2 CPU's do.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:46 am

If I remember correctly, a stick of RAM only uses on the order of a couple of watts. It is safe to say that you won't see a difference between two RAM speeds.

Both the cost/benefit and benefit/power usage ratios are highly in favour of maxing out your RAM.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:54 am

Ah, understood. Thanks!

I've decided to go with the DDR2 800 A-Data dual channel kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820211188

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:47 pm

The RAM runs at the FSB speed and divider setting. If you don't change the FSB (i.e. overclock), then the DDR2-800 and DDR2-667 run at the same speed and, therefore, will not run any hotter. Well, possibly if they are running at different CAS timings, there may be a very slight difference, but I would think that is nothing to worry about.

This is one thing that I think alot of people don't understand about system RAM. Buying "faster" RAM does not necessarily mean that it automatically runs faster, only that it is capable of running at a higher FSB speed.