Accelero S1 on 9600GT... went horribly wrong.

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AckeDman

Accelero S1 on 9600GT... went horribly wrong.

Post by AckeDman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:55 am

I cant belive my luck. I bought a Accelero S1 to replace the HSF on my VGA card(Gainward Geforce 9600GT) and it seems i wont be able to fit it onto the GPU chip because of interference from the back of one of the DVI outputs.

This GPU has 2xDVI,1xDP,1xHDMI so it becomes pretty crowded when it comes to outputs and to manage 4 outputs gainward did 2 of the DVI outputs on top of eachother. And the back of the top DVI is making it impossible to fit the Accelero bottom onto the GPU chip... Now i might be able to just remove that DVI output because im only ever going to need 1 DVI output anyways (currently 1 in use for monitor and 1 hdmi for tv and DP is going to be the new standard on monitors anyways).

Its good that i didnt know about this problem before thou because then i would have problably chickend out on doing the DVI removal.

I have some pictures at home and i will post the problem when i get home... its actually no more then 3mm off but its 3mm too much i guess.

Wish me luck and i hope removing a DVI wont fuck up the whole card.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 am

perhaps modding the s1 would be easier?

Modo

Post by Modo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:39 am

Can't you bend some fins to make it fit (image of an Accelero S2 modded by Junior)? It should be easy enough to do, and it won't hamper performance too much if the needed clearance isn't very big.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 am

Yeah i guess bending the fins of the accelero is another way to go... hmm the fins are thick so i would need special workbench for that anyways so i will try with removing the dvi first.

edit!: I just noticed u linked to a S2... i have a S1 with 4 heatpipes. (i was referring to the heatpipes and not the fins earlier). Its better for me to just try and remove the dvi because i wont be using 2xDVI ever anyways.

It is frustrating that it didnt just go as planned thou.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:11 pm

If you are exceedingly careful, you can also take a Dremel and cut off the 1-2 fins that would hit.(the heat pipes are very fragile, so not recommended except as a last resort - a small nick with the Dremel by mistake will cause catastrophic damage)

I've never had a computer that I haven't had to modify something to get it all together... So don't feel bad. This sort of thing is very common.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 am

Ok just to update everyone on my HELL!

I couldnt get the accelero to fit without tinsnipping the back fins of the DVI port. I mustered up the courage and did this effectivly fucking up any chance of warranty.

I finally got the accelero to fit and was so happy. One problem thou is that 2 of the ram heatsinks fell out during the process, very bad adhesive material on the ram heatsinks. I figured 2 heatsinks out of eight wont do much considering there was like no ram heatsinks on the stock cooler. I put the GPU and i was so happy to see it work but now i have a big problem.

Its difficult to explain but sometimes the OS stops for a split second and the mouse there kind of jumps from one spot to another. Its really not acceptable and it seems i just fucked up a $200 card.

So now im wondering if i am forced to buy a new GPU or if its something else that can be wrong. If im forced to buy a new GPU im just gonna buy a $40 GPU that can handle 1080p but i wont be able to play any advanced games on.

I am surprised as i dont see what could have caused this... could this be because of the 2 ram sinks that fell of? shouldnt the proper reaction from the card be overheating or simply not working or shutting down? Is this really a side effect that has to do with that?

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 am

Obviously the RAM can overheat if you remove the fan. It might not need heatsinks with added airflow. You'll only know if something is broken once you put the RAM heatsinks back on (or a fan on the Accelero). It might be that the weird stops are a reaction to overheating, and not signs of permanent damage.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 am

hmm... i guess i will try with better ram sinks AND zip tying a fan directly on the GPU... if that still doesent fix it i guess i just threw away a $200 card because i thought i was gonna be able to have the cake and eat it as well (cooler without more sound).

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:06 am

If nothing's fried, it should work fine with just the heatsinks. I thought about adding the fan as a quick way to find out.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 am

hmm... seems i might have to buy a new GPU. Im gonna contact a friend and ask to borrow a old GPU from him too see if the problem is with the GPU i have or if its just something with windows. If its just windows i will just install XP instead but if its the GPU it means im forced to buy a new one as there is nothing wrong with the GPU temps. (40c idle)

What manufacturers have warranty even if original cooler is replaced?

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:14 pm

AckeDman wrote:
What manufacturers have warranty even if original cooler is replaced?
EVGA is said to honor warranties if you use an aftermarket heat sink.

For future reference an S2 is plenty for the 9600GT - I have the ECS version of the card and it runs way cooler at both load and idle than my older eVGA 8600GT w/stock cooler. I don't use a fan on the S2. I don't know if the clearance issue would be the same or not.

The RAM sinks may be the problem, with the absence of any air flow. Can you get them back on at all? Does this happen at idle, or under heavy graphics load?

Are you running any temp monitoring software when the mouse does its hitching and jumping routine? If so, which one?

Are you by chance running more than one?

They can cause problems sometimes when polling the sensors which in turn are polling the attached devices. Two programs at once can cause off readings and hitching, as you describe.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:18 am

Thanks for the reply Fallsroad.

Im using everest to monitor temps on cpu,gpu and hdds.

My HDD temp is like 28-38c depending on how much i work it.

My CPU temp is like 38-42c idle and 55-60c load when i have the case open.

My GPU temp is between 39-42c idle and i havent yet played any games so im not loading it at all.

I have ordered a new graphicscard XFX 9600GT.

If i can fix the current card i would be able to sell it of or run sli if i want in the future.

Problem is even when idle in windows just moving the mouse very fast i see the jumping. If i try watching a divx(not even 720p) it hacks along.

Im not really pissed i have to shell out $130-150.

What im going to do is im going to test out the new card with the stock cooler. If the problem persists i now its not a problem with the GPU but a problem with cpu or hdd.

If the problem is gone it either means its because of 2 of the ram sinks not being used or that i have somehow damaged my old card by maybe scratching it or something of the sort.

I really need all the help i can get from everyone that reads this.

What im asking for is links to installations of Acceleros on 9600GTs or 8800GTs as they are almost the same.

I need to make shure i dont fuck up my second 9600GT.. it would mean i would have to buy a $60 card that can and be sitting with 2x9600GT that are useless.

One other thing i would really like to know is how people have fans on the Acceleros. I tried ziptying but when i have a fan as pull the fan is so close it hits on the heatsink fins. Making a both a bad noise and problably in the long term damage to the fan. But if i put the fan as push onto the heatsink all the heat will be pushed onto the PCB with the voltage regulator.

What have you guys done?

Modo

Post by Modo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 am

The only problem I've read about with the Accelero, is the weak and too thick adhesive on the RAM sinks. Some people recommend replacing this with a different adhesive, or getting other RAM sinks altogether.

As to the fan, it is supposed to blow towards the PCB. This works the same way blow-down heatsinks work with motherboards. The main function is forcing airflow (thus removing heat), even if the air isn't cool. Note that most non-standard solutions with fans also blow air through the heatsink first, and then onto other components of the graphics card.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:25 am

OK. good to know.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:09 am

ram sinks aren't even necessary.

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:47 am

AckeDman wrote: Im using everest to monitor temps on cpu,gpu and hdds.

Problem is even when idle in windows just moving the mouse very fast i see the jumping. If i try watching a divx(not even 720p) it hacks along.
Does this occur when you shut down Everest?

Have you tried shutting down other background programs, like anti-virus, to see if the stuttering stops?

I'm not convinced it is a heat problem, at the moment, though your point about damage to the card could be possible.

Are you running your machine at stock speeds?

Did you have this problem with your previous graphics card, if there was one? If not, can you swap it back into the system?

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 pm

OK. I now know i have somehow damaged my gainward card because after i now have a XFX card with accelero installed and it works perfectly fine. I dont have the stuttering problem anymore.

I have some concerns thou. I had Idle temps of 39-42c wich is great for modern graphics cards but i have a load temp of 60c after 5min with Ati tool but i dont really know if this is good or bad. It didnt really ever stabilize at a given temp but increased constantly by 1c.

But i can improv the temps by moving a fan i have on the HDD cage to the accelero itself.

The really horrible thing is that when i did load testing with ati tool it made a horrible screaming high pitched noise. Whats going on? Does this mean i have a GPU with coil whine or what? FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I dont care if this only happens when stressing with ati tool but if it happens if i just play a game it wont be bearable... i will have to RMA the card.

Anyone know what that high pitched noise is?

Also i get a bad high pitched noise if i try and close my case now... its not the same noise as when using ati tool but another kind of noise... it only happens when i try to close my case.

Do i need to take picures of how i have my set up for you guys to be able to know what the noise from closing the case can be? I do know that it doesent seem to occur if i stop my cpu fan and then close the case.

Help appreciated, much thanks!

Modo

Post by Modo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:40 pm

AckeDman wrote: I have some concerns thou. I had Idle temps of 39-42c wich is great for modern graphics cards but i have a load temp of 60c after 5min with Ati tool but i dont really know if this is good or bad. It didnt really ever stabilize at a given temp but increased constantly by 1c.
GPUs can go all the way to 90C stable, so 60C is still very safe. I'd try stressing the card for a longer time, since the temp rise will be slower without a fan. See if it goes up to, say, 80C? I've checked that mine can do 85C without any stability problems, so you should be ok testing this.
AckeDman wrote: But i can improv the temps by moving a fan i have on the HDD cage to the accelero itself.
You can also improve temps by removing the slot cover closest to the heatsink. A fan on the Accelero should not be needed.
AckeDman wrote: The really horrible thing is that when i did load testing with ati tool it made a horrible screaming high pitched noise. Whats going on? Does this mean i have a GPU with coil whine or what? FUCK FUCK FUCK!
It would seem so. Turning on VSync in the graphics driver options often helps (to various degrees).
AckeDman wrote: Also i get a bad high pitched noise if i try and close my case now... its not the same noise as when using ati tool but another kind of noise... it only happens when i try to close my case.

Do i need to take picures of how i have my set up for you guys to be able to know what the noise from closing the case can be? I do know that it doesent seem to occur if i stop my cpu fan and then close the case.
Maybe some vibrations get transferred to the side panel somehow?

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 pm

AckeDman wrote:OK. I now know i have somehow damaged my gainward card because after i now have a XFX card with accelero installed and it works perfectly fine. I dont have the stuttering problem anymore.

I have some concerns thou. I had Idle temps of 39-42c wich is great for modern graphics cards but i have a load temp of 60c after 5min with Ati tool but i dont really know if this is good or bad. It didnt really ever stabilize at a given temp but increased constantly by 1c.

But i can improv the temps by moving a fan i have on the HDD cage to the accelero itself.

The really horrible thing is that when i did load testing with ati tool it made a horrible screaming high pitched noise. Whats going on? Does this mean i have a GPU with coil whine or what? FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I dont care if this only happens when stressing with ati tool but if it happens if i just play a game it wont be bearable... i will have to RMA the card.

Anyone know what that high pitched noise is?

Also i get a bad high pitched noise if i try and close my case now... its not the same noise as when using ati tool but another kind of noise... it only happens when i try to close my case.

Help appreciated, much thanks!
Your GPU temps are well within normal. That GPU can operate safely well into the 70's C, even 80C. As long as you see no artifacting, you are good to go.

The squealing may be coil whine, though it sounds from your later description that you have a problem with your CPU fan. Can you stress test just the CPU to see if the fan whines as it speeds up? Sometimes closing the case will alter a fans' RPM.

IOW, since you mention the CPU fan being off killing the squealing noise when you close the case, it may not be your graphics card at all. Not sure how to test for it exactly, except what I mention above.