underclock ati hd 4830

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robzane

underclock ati hd 4830

Post by robzane » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:11 am

I would like to underclock ati hd 4830 till I can turn off the fan

I need to know which gpu and memory frequency I need to set

thank you

(please correct my english which is very poor)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:21 am

Hello and Welcome to SPCR!

In other words you want to run your ATi completely passive, correct? If so you might be better off with an aftermarket cooler built for this purpose. The stock cooler of your ATi was not designed to operate the graphics card passively and will require cool air to be pushed by the fan. You can try setting the fan speed lower till you find it quiet enough to your liking, but underclocking/undervolting will have very little effect on the temperatures and can actually make your ATi unstable.

I take it you are a novice and don't have much understanding of overclocking/underclocking graphics cards. Please don't try anything you aren't familiar with, you will void your warranty and possibly render your card unusable.

To set the fan speed lower though you can use ATiTool or something similar: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

- LodeHacker

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Well, it should automatically underclock (and hopefully undervolt) itself automatically when idle--but under load ramp up.

You could try changing the fan control with RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) as ATITool doesn't work with newer cards--they are actually working on the successor to it.

GPU-Z will let you get the BIOS from your card, and RBE will let you examine it--and if you are daring enough and understand it well enough then, save it and then you can flash it onto your card.

Or get an aftermarket cooler to run passive or quietly. Those higher power cards need some airflow going by them though--whether it's a fan on the card or case fans nearby is up to you.

What kind of case do you have for the computer?
Vediamo come è buona Google Translate:

Beh, dovrebbe automaticamente underclock (e, si spera, undervolt) automaticamente quando inattivo - ma sotto carico fino a terra.

Si potrebbe provare a cambiare la ventola di controllo con RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) come ATITool non funziona con le carte più recenti - sono in realtà di lavoro sul successore di essa.

GPU-Z vi permetterà di ottenere il BIOS della scheda, e RBE ti consente di esaminare - e se siete abbastanza audace e capire abbastanza bene poi, salvarlo e poi è possibile che sul vostro flash card.

Oppure ottenere un refrigerante secondario per eseguire passivo o tranquillamente. Tali schede di potenza superiore bisogno di un po 'd'aria che da loro se - sia che si tratti di un fan sulla carta o ventilatori caso è vicino a voi.

Che tipo di caso avete per il computer?
LOL, the convert to Italian then back to English makes me wonder how much this will help :lol: And your English is better than my Googletalian I am betting!

robzane

Post by robzane » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 pm

using gpu 400mhz memory 1200mhz is right?
i cut 1/3 frequencies so that i should obtain 1/2 heat power

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:23 am

I can't say for all 4830s, but my MSI 4830 doesn't have PowerPlay at all. I can manually reduce the core and memory frequencies with RivaTuner, but using RBE to make PowerPlay profiles is fairly pointless since underclocking the core only makes a difference in power consumption (read: heat) when it is loaded. The reducing the memory to 1/2 the frequency saved 5w and it seems to save that same 5w loaded or idle. I can not change the voltage at all.

I stuck an Accelero Twin Turbo on mine and forgot to plug it into a molex connector that was actually plugged into my power supply and had my CPU fan blowing into my case (it was a long night) and my card didn't burn up using F@H GPU. So, with an equal or better heat sink and reducing the core and memory frequencies, you should be able to run it passive. I would not attempt just turning off the fan on a stock heat sink. They aren't big enough and most of them don't touch the memory or VRMs which would probably overheat pretty quickly.

morkelkey

Post by morkelkey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:44 am

Hi dear friends, I would not attempt just turning off the fan on a stock heat sink. If you have more information about stock heat then please share it., Thanks for give information.

Kate

Post by Kate » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 am

I stuck an Accelero Twin-Turbo on mine and took the fans off. Temps seem to be pretty reasonable, mid to upper 40's idle and mid to upper 50's "gaming." Then again, the only gaming I do right now is WoW and that isn't very GPU intensive.