Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode ?)

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Scott J
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Ohio

Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode ?)

Post by Scott J » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this Thread. When I found this Forum and started posting here a few months ago, I was building my first PC. It's working great, but so far, I can't use my printer.

The Windows 7 Compatibility website SAYS that the HP LaserJet 3100 All-In-One laser printer IS compatible: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compat ... &os=64-bit

Problem is, if you follow the link to download the driver, it takes you to the HP website, and the driver link says "N/A, 21 Sep 2009":
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... nvOID=4063


I have recently installed/configured WinXP Mode on the new PC. It seems to work. The Motherboard does not have a traditional parallel printer port, so after doing some research, I purchased a "Sabrent" brand printer-to-USB adapter cable. I was hoping that I would be able to use my HP LaserJet 3100 in WinXP Mode, but I can't get that to work either. The printer software loads on the virtual WinXP Mode, but it doesn't "see" that the Printer is attached.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions,

Scott

ces
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Post by ces » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Sorry I don't have any answers though.

Scott J
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Ohio

Post by Scott J » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 pm

ces wrote:I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Sorry I don't have any answers though.
I suspect the answer (if there is one) would apply to any printer that is not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. It SHOULD work fine in WinXP Mode, the problem is that the computer doesn't "recognize" that the printer is connected via a USB port.

If there is a way to "dedicate" the applicable USB port, or "route" the printer recognition function through the USB port (clearly I don't know the proper terminology for what I'm trying to say), that might solve the problem. If the problem can be solved for the HP 3100, then it would probably also be solved for any other printer using WinXP Mode with a motherboard requiring a USB connection.

If I understand correctly, I could add a parallel printer port "card" in one of the PCI (or PCI-e?) slots, but I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

nomoon
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: Allen, TX US
Contact:

Re: Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode

Post by nomoon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 am

Scott J wrote:The Motherboard does not have a traditional parallel printer port
Forgive my dumb question, but are you sure that it doesn't have an LPT1 cable connection on the motherboard? With my latest MB, I had to purchase a bracket with the a cable that connected to the MB. I thought that I'd ask, just to make sure.

Jason

Scott J
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode

Post by Scott J » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:55 am

nomoon wrote:
Scott J wrote:The Motherboard does not have a traditional parallel printer port
Forgive my dumb question, but are you sure that it doesn't have an LPT1 cable connection on the motherboard? With my latest MB, I had to purchase a bracket with the a cable that connected to the MB. I thought that I'd ask, just to make sure.

Jason

Hi Jason, it's not a dumb question at all, but if I understand correctly (always a gamble!), the EVGA 760 Classified motherboard does not have an LPT1 port.

Here is a link to a Review with a visually diagrammed feature listing, followed by a list of technical specifications for the EVGA Classified:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainbo ... ied_4.html

Here is the last sentence of the first page: "The board doesn’t have any COM or LPT ports, which may be worth keeping in mind, but it is no longer a drawback these days anyway."

nomoon
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: Allen, TX US
Contact:

Re: Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode

Post by nomoon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Scott J wrote:Here is the last sentence of the first page: "The board doesn’t have any COM or LPT ports, which may be worth keeping in mind, but it is no longer a drawback these days anyway."
The scoundrels! I bought my HP Laserjet 5P in 1994 and it won't die! I just buy a new $70 cartridge about every two years. It's a lot cheaper to run than an inkjet.

Jason

Scott J
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Can I use HP LaserJet 3100 with Windows 7 64-bit (XPMode

Post by Scott J » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 pm

nomoon wrote:
Scott J wrote:Here is the last sentence of the first page: "The board doesn’t have any COM or LPT ports, which may be worth keeping in mind, but it is no longer a drawback these days anyway."
The scoundrels! I bought my HP Laserjet 5P in 1994 and it won't die! I just buy a new $70 cartridge about every two years. It's a lot cheaper to run than an inkjet.

Jason

Hi Jason,

It should be possible to make the computer recognize a printer connected through a USB port (via a printer-to-USB cable adapter) in WinXP Mode, I just don't know HOW to do it.

ces
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I bought a printer-to-USB cable adapter. It seems to work erratically, but that may be me. I was making order changes at the same time.

It was made by a company called Manhattan.

I ran it under XP. It seems to work if I rebooted by computer before using it.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by kittle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I would think you can get an expansion card with a parallel port on it. Just plug that in, and you should be good to go. You'll probably have to hit up ebay or a used pc parts shop.. but I know they exist.

ces
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Post by ces » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm

kittle wrote:I would think you can get an expansion card with a parallel port on it. Just plug that in, and you should be good to go. You'll probably have to hit up ebay or a used pc parts shop.. but I know they exist.
Nah... that's to straight forward and easy. :)

PS: You can buy those cards new at most places. I am certain Newegg must carry at least one type and most probably several from different sources like Syba and Startech.

Post Reply