What are you listening to right now?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:08 am

qviri wrote:
klankymen wrote:almost everyone here seems to listen to metal, classical, jazz or ambient music
Hardly :)

Sigur Rós - [( ) #3] untitled [6:33]

untitled #3, also known as Samskeyti, Attachment. <3.

ok, I've never heard of them, however there website does state:
the first album, recently given a worldwide release for the first time, is called von (hope). frequently unrecognisable from the bulk of their subsequent work, von is an experimental and ambient work, which many believe to be a concept album
So they do have one ambient album, good enough for me :D

OK, there is some other stuff in here, Joe Strummer from Ralf Spamme- I mean Hutter, is great stuff, but at least the no rap part seems accurate :oops:

EDIT: now I'm listening to
Sigur Rós - Untitled #8 from ( ) [ ( ) ] [ 2002 ]
does sound abit ambientish, not to say that means it's bad, I like some ambient chilled stuff myself, JXL is a good example of that.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:10 am

klankymen wrote:but at least the no rap part seems accurate :oops:
Browse back through my posts and you'll see Gil Scott-Heron and Kurtis Blow. Scott-Heron is a proto-Rapper, and Blow was a founding member of the Rap Movement back in the early '80's along with the Sugerhill Gang and Run DMC.

Most all rappers owe a big debt to Parliament-Funkadelic, and the Hip-Hop scene in general wouldn't exist without the pioneering work of Kraftwerk, all are groups that show up regularly in my posts.

Actually, I find most full-length rap albums to be fairly non-essential. There's generally a few good songs, and the rest is filler. I have at least 50-100 12" rap singles that I would consider essential, but I don't listen to them very often due to the un-user friendliness of the 45rpm, 8 minute per side format. My turntable requires that it's belt be manually moved to change from 33 to 45rpm, something that's a bit of a PITA just to listen to 10-15 minutes of music, no matter how wonderful the music is.

Just for you though, I broke down and played "Rappers Delight", "911 is a Joke" and "The Message". Some jammin shit, homes.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 am

Fairport Convention - Liege and Leaf

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 am

Ralf Hutter wrote: Browse back through my posts and you'll see Gil Scott-Heron and Kurtis Blow. Scott-Heron is a proto-Rapper, and Blow was a founding member of the Rap Movement back in the early '80's along with the Sugerhill Gang and Run DMC.

Most all rappers owe a big debt to Parliament-Funkadelic, and the Hip-Hop scene in general wouldn't exist without the pioneering work of Kraftwerk, all are groups that show up regularly in my posts.

Actually, I find most full-length rap albums to be fairly non-essential. There's generally a few good songs, and the rest is filler. I have at least 50-100 12" rap singles that I would consider essential, but I don't listen to them very often due to the un-user friendliness of the 45rpm, 8 minute per side format. My turntable requires that it's belt be manually moved to change from 33 to 45rpm, something that's a bit of a PITA just to listen to 10-15 minutes of music, no matter how wonderful the music is.

Just for you though, I broke down and played "Rappers Delight", "911 is a Joke" and "The Message". Some jammin shit, homes.
yeah I'm fairly up to date on my hip hop history, rappers delight and the message are of course both classics, and both exactly 7:09 long :D

Right now I'm Currently totally "Cornholio"-ed out on an overdose of coffee, frappuccinos, dr pepper and tonic water (I had a bad day today) so I'm listening to music strictly 150bpm and above, at the moment some good drum n bass:

Roni Size - Bump N Grind [ Return to V ] [ 2004 ]

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 am

Luca Turilli - Prince of Starlight
Tibors wrote:Rhapsody
  • Legendary Tales
  • Symphony of Enchanted Lands
  • Dawn of Victory
That drowns out the sound of the rain nicely.
I would add:
  • Land of Immortals
  • Emerald Sword
  • Rain of Thousand Flames
  • Knightrider of Doom
to the list :D
klankymen wrote:almost everyone here seems to listen to metal, classical, jazz or ambient music, so I'll just be the black sheep and throw in some california rap music:
[ The Way I Am ] [ 2004 ]
I didn't know before that Deutschen listen to rap music too :D
so, what's the difference between rap and hip hop? (sorry I'm too lazy to search by myself.. :oops: )

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 am

Weldingheart wrote: I didn't know before that Deutschen listen to rap music too :D
so, what's the difference between rap and hip hop? (sorry I'm too lazy to search by myself.. :oops: )
Well, A) I'm not deutschen, I'm American. but B) germans do listen to rap, but right now what's popular here is some really crappy german rap, bleaargh :x

as for rap and hip hop, actually hip hop is a whole lifestyle, comprising stuff like b-boying, beatboxing, emcee-ing, graffiti, and on and on.
Whereas rap is just the musical lyrical aspect.

However when talking about music, I (and others) tend to refer to the Mainstream, 50 Cent, Party, Big Beat sorta stuff as Rap, and more underground lyrical oriented kind as Hip Hop. And of course all old-school stuff, up until the golden age (ending around.... 95?). Examples would be stuff like Living Legends, Dilated Peoples, Rakim, Cocoa Brovaz, Biz Markie, Gang Starr...

nici

Post by nici » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:59 am

Back again.. It seems i don´t visit SPCR as often anymore, either my pc is really quiet or my noice toleration has gone up.. :roll:

Anyway, i had a boring and stressful day. First school and then shopping in rush-hour.. :evil: Man i hate shopping :lol:

Drinking The Balvenie DoubleWood 12yo single malt, i much prefer Talisker and Glenfiddich over this so im drinking this to get rid of it :lol: 18yo Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve is my favourite so far :) That´s all single malt whisky(no "e", only american whisky is "whiskey") for you ignorant people :wink:

And to the point.. Im listening to 90´s dance :lol: If it was new music it would probably sound crap, but since it was good when i was about 10y old it sounds good now :wink: Paradisio - Bailando :lol:

Im only 20 and im starting to feel old :shock:

Anyway i got bored of that now, Audioslave - Show Mw How To Live 8)

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:13 pm

klankymen wrote: ....but right now what's popular here is some really crappy german rap, bleaargh :x
The only one I knew is Marc Acardipane(more rave/techno I thought), haven't heard non-english rap, must be funny to listen to :D
klankymen wrote: comprising stuff like b-boying, beatboxing, emcee-ing, graffiti, and on and on.
hmmm I must start using wikipedia then..... :lol:
nici wrote:Back again.. It seems i don´t visit SPCR as often anymore, either my pc is really quiet or my noice toleration has gone up.. :roll:
Looks like people here quite miss Ur jokes nici :D
nici wrote:Anyway, i had a boring and stressful day. First school and then shopping in rush-hour.. :evil: Man i hate shopping :lol:
Bet U'll have hard time going with your girlfriend :lol:

Hey lots of PC freaks usually spend almost 3 hours just drooling at PC peripheral,PC acessories,hardware,tools,outdoor etc, when going to PC mall.

Elend - Newborn Sailor
now that their music ia more ambient with clean vocals, than previously dark orchestral/classical darkwave with real classical music instrument (and Death growl-they are not using any 'metal' instrument, no guitars, no bass guitar,no drums,no synths)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:22 am

The Clash - Sandanista

nici

Post by nici » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:18 am

Weldingheart wrote:
nici wrote:Back again.. It seems i don´t visit SPCR as often anymore, either my pc is really quiet or my noice toleration has gone up.. :roll:
Looks like people here quite miss Ur jokes nici :D

Well that´s nice i guess :lol:
Weldingheart wrote:
nici wrote:Anyway, i had a boring and stressful day. First school and then shopping in rush-hour.. :evil: Man i hate shopping :lol:
Bet U'll have hard time going with your girlfriend :lol:
Actually i was shopping with my mom :lol:
Weldingheart wrote: Hey lots of PC freaks usually spend almost 3 hours just drooling at PC peripheral,PC acessories,hardware,tools,outdoor etc, when going to PC mall.
Yup, i can do that too.. Though i like cars more than computers 8)

Golden Earring - Radar Love :)

I've been drivin' all night my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
Its my baby callin' says 'I need ya here'
It's half past four and I'm shifting gear...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:38 am

Talking Heads - More Songs about Buildings and Food

nici

Post by nici » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:01 am

Chemical Brothers - Galvanize

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:45 am

V/A - Outcaste, The First Five Years

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:45 pm

Metallica - Eye of the Beholder

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:10 am

René Dupéré's Alegría soundtrack (which I'm also tempted to call Francesca Gagnon's Alegría soundtrack :)).

fw_fw

Post by fw_fw » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:11 am

Neal Morse - ?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:00 am

Audioslave - Exploder

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:14 am

L.S.G. - The Best of L.S.G. - The Singles Reworked

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:38 am

Dntel - Umbrella

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:30 am

Reusner - Lautensuiten - Junghanel

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Aerosmith - Rag Doll

Gotta love XM Radio online!

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:44 am

Gilles Peterson digs America: Brownswood USA - Marva Josie

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:56 am

Saafi Brothers - Liquid Beach

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:43 am

A nasty backstabber in the next cubicle trying to throw somebody under the bus. :evil:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:10 am

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Live On Air - Osaka

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 am

Pan Psychic - Last Reality

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:35 am

Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:11 am

Killswitch Engage- The End of Heartache

I just love the name of this band! :lol:

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:23 am

Sigur Rós - [Takk... #7] Milanó [10:25]

What are you folks using to play music on Linux? Currently I have foobar2000 running in WINE, but the sound quality going through DirectSound 2 is so bad. I want my kernel streaming :cry:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:32 am

Machaut - Vieles et voix du Moyen Age - Bonnardot, et. al.