"Stellar Realms" - online gaming, with a twist.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 pm

I am taking this round easy, as it is in the run-up to my A-level exams/coursework as well as going on holiday during the Easter break... hopefully we can get together and do something next round. Good luck to everyone else!

rbrodka
Patron of SPCR

Post by rbrodka » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:43 pm

Prince Volvo and the friendly peace-loving people of Ohmm are back!

I had a couple of lucky missions, and it put me in the top spot. I'm sure it won't last long though.... :lol:

I really miss the prestige numbers in the Galaxy Overview page, perhaps if we all ask the SR delvelopers to put it back, they might do it.

Good luck everyone.... and Happy Planeteering !!!

J-Koopa

Post by J-Koopa » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:58 am

will the private forum ever come back up?

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 am

J-Koopa wrote:will the private forum ever come back up?
good question :(

Anyway I'm back this round. If you can find my planet you're blind :wink:

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 pm

I couldn't get it working again, even after wiping the forum. It seems like a server problem, since that was not the only thing to stop working - I suspect it's to do with writing files, as the Folding@Home sig generator is fine.

(J-Koopa: you've got PM. I don't want to say anything in public because a certain player has a habit of finding me somehow...)

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:24 pm

has this really been stickied in the off topic forum for over a year??
..i've only just noticed it.. its amazing what the mind automatically blocks out.. kinda like adblock in ur own brain..

anyway! i tried clicking the link in the fisrt page.. it didn't work. new address, or down, or.. something my end?

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:57 am

Your timing is terrible! Something went wrong last night - time has accelerated and it takes a long time to get a response. We're waiting for the admins to get back and sort it out.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Okay, problem solved, they've made it a LOT faster now. If you want to play, sign up and tell us who you are - we're 2/3rds through but that's plenty of time to learn the ropes (tip: pick a race with high research %age)

rage

Post by rage » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:32 pm

I have been a lurker on this site for more years than I can remember but never had the urge to register to make a post - until now....

I decided to try this silly game which I found accidently on this very thread under a section of the forum I never visited, and now SR seems to have taken over all my free time :-(

Here is a clue as to the character I am playing. Please say hello ingame!

Obligatory SPCR content:
My "first" low noise pc build (circa 1998): Elan Vital case, padded with "sound proof" foam, SilentDrive enclosure, home made oversized "Celeron Sandwich" CPU heatsink from scrap Al+Cu parts, 80mm MIJ Panaflo exhaust and intake (modded wire grills, front 12v/off/5v toggle switch).

Vorkuta

Post by Vorkuta » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:24 am

So how has the game experience been this round? Has the server been treating you well? At least for the last part of the round? Zip is working hard to make things more and more stable and I'm still grinding away at V2. Anyway, thanks for the continued interest! We've got 170+ planets running now, and the server isn't dead yet...

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks Vork to you and Zip. R13 was a lot of fun for me. The infusion of a substantial and cohesive group of players made for some interesting dynamics and changes to the gameplay, both positive and negative.

I know that I, and many others, really want to help make the old SR forum archives accessible somehow. I think there's some good technical expertise ready to volunteer to make it happen. For better or worse, my past experience is that the SR community benefits greatly from the sense of history and meta-game continuity. A new player can get a sense of the unwritten "code of conduct" very quickly this way.

The new server only hiccuped once that I was aware, and was downright speedy after a couple of the tweaks. I was suprised the engine survived so many planets, though I know there was at least one significant feature turned off.

Overall, it's still that "oddly compelling and addicting" time sink of pleasure.

BigA

Post by BigA » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 am

Comrades!

I had an exceptionally rough start, but stuck with it and ended up enjoying myself. The learning curve would be a lot easier if the documentation was more thorough and I would greatly appreciate having access to old forums and the wiki. Stellar Realms has a lot of richness and subtlety which is difficult to appreciate at first and I am looking forward to future rounds. Stellar Realms combines the best elements of complex multi-player board games with a moderate roleplaying component less the pain of manually resolving complex game mechanics.

Special thanks to Vorkuta and Zip for making the game available. I'm looking forward to next round.

rage

Post by rage » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Wow, I've no clue that Mr. BigA is a "Sister"!

My thanks also to Vorkuta and Zip, as well as all the players for making this an enjoyable 1st round for me. I made a lot of classic beginner mistakes (overbuilding early on, etc)... but the info in this thread as well as the Wiki when it was available helped me a lot.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Sat May 27, 2006 1:07 pm

For any folks interested, Round 14 has started. It will be a short round, so an excellent time for first-timers. If any SPCRers sign up for the first time, please identify yourself to Dryfire in-game. (I'll be cloaked in anonymity, though I'm sure folks will easily guess who my planet is this time.)

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:46 am

I just joined and made an alliance with a nice chap named Annihilus. I have a feeling he's going to conquer my planet within the day.

Is it worth buying drones or should I save up for an "Interdictor"?

I'll contact Dryfire, though I'm sure several of y'all can guess which planet is mine =p

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:53 am

Oh, all alliances welcome. I plan on playing by tit for tat, that is if I'm not annihilated by the first act of aggression.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:43 pm

welcome to stellar realms!

I know we spoke in game, I doubt you'll get much done this round (other then getting aquainted with the game).

do come back for the next round and we'll show you how spcr gets things done :twisted:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 am

Sorry, I got bogged down.

It looked like a great game though :D

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 am

And a new round begins....

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 am

Dang, I didn't get my auto-email that sign-ups were open. Looks like I'm about 40 turns late. Poo...gotta start from the back. :cry:

nici

Post by nici » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:33 am

I received the email but forgot about it.. :lol: And i have completely forgot how to play the game, i think the last time i played was round 11 or 12 :shock: And i also have no idea who is SPCR anymore.

How long is a month again? :roll:

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:06 pm

Ok im getting the hang of it again.. Problem is im being looted all the time, population being stolen and materials disappering, a lot of it, several thousands of various stuff gone today :shock:
I have no intelligence agency yet so no agents, and no military to speak of so i can't do anything about it :x

Morak

Post by Morak » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:59 am

Greetings from the Galactic Museum.

BigA

Post by BigA » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Round 15 has ended. I'm looking forward to a break, followed by a much quieter game for Round 16.

Metallikov

nici

Post by nici » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:01 am

I completely forgot about the game, again.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:17 pm

Round 16 has started. It will be a short one. I'm under the radar again this round, but will respond very nicely to "silent" overtures. Or, PM me here and I'll be glad to reveal my secret identity for cooperating alliances of quiet folks.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:59 am

In case there are old or new SPCR folks who are interested in this long-term obsession, Round 18 will begin on April 1 (no joke). It will be a shorter one, with all the old bugs plus the promise of some new (fierce) bugs. Go to www.stellar-realms.com to register and create a planet, if you have not done so in the past.

I still haven't decided whether to sit out the round or not. I notice at least two SPCR'ers who are already set, though.

Vorkuta

Round 19 Starts June 1st

Post by Vorkuta » Sun May 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Some big changes have been made, notably a "Galactic High Council" to give players more self-policing ability. Politics are bigger than ever before.

http://www.primeaxiom.com

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon May 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Topic unstickied. It's been up there long enough, the thread is long dead, and it doesn't really have any reason to be stickied ahead of any other OT threads.

Vorkuta

Post by Vorkuta » Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 pm

J'amais! :shock:

:P :P :P